BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)
View Poll Results: Who doesn't have front plates?
I live in CA, but NO FRONT PLATES FROM ME! 44 28.76%
I live in CA, and I drive with my front plate on. 8 5.23%
I live in another state which also requires front plates, but I choose NOT to have one. 73 47.71%
Where I live, it doesn't matter. 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

05-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #23
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I've never put a front license plate on my cars. After spending thousands of dollars on a new car, I'm not going to neuter the looks of the whole thing with a ridiculous license plate. Having a front license plate on your new car is like wearing an adult diaper on the outside of a brand new Armani suit. You just don't do it.

For the record, been driving around without a front plate for more than 3 years and never been stopped or questioned.
      05-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #24
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Im at a university in San Francisco and was bullied by one of their "campus cops." I knew he would pull me over as soon as I saw him since I got the "you are just a student and you have this car" look. Little did he know the hours I put in to earn the car myself! Also, I'm sure he wanted to prove himself to be a macho man in front of the rest of the students. Being from England (making me somewhat naively a loud mouth), as he pulled me over and finished writing the fix it ticket, I gave him a mouthful.

Police like this are a disgrace to the many fantastic cops around the nation. People who abuse power like this should not be working in the police force. It is unacceptable. And yes I know, technically I am breaking the law, but as he was writing my ticket, I counted at least 7 cars that passed us with no front license plate. Its just that because Im a student, he thought he could impose on me rather than letting this minor infraction go. Its sad to see sometimes that this place reminds me of a modern "3rd world." In some countries that are designated 3rd world, the observation I have made with people in power is that they tend to abuse it, belittling those for the few seconds that they can actually have a say on a situation. Other places in around the world I have visited that are designated not 3rd world do not have this issue with those who have a position of power. This is one of the few countries I have been to where I see this kind of thing happening. And no I don't hate this country, in fact I love it otherwise I would not live here. Its just a little gripe and perspective after having visited many places over the world.

Can you tell I am still pissed!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #25
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

b2:

In the last 7 years, my wife and I have done extended visits or lived for months at a time in 37 countries, island nations & dependencies (Gib, Channel Is., the Caymans, etc.) These ranged from 'real' 3rd world countries (Haiti, Dominican Republic) to 'perceved' 3rd worlds (Tunisia, Jamaica) to all of the EU countries. All of them suffer to some extent from the 'little man/big badge' syndrome you describe (some of the EU countries being the worst). And let's keep in mind this happened on a college campus, where so little else does. Let's not suggest this fellow is a member of any regular, larger police force or has a regular police job.

For perspective's sake, I should add that I don't think I've seen officers of govt'l forces anywhere else - customs, immigration, military, police et al. - as reasonable and polite as those in Britain. There are exceptions but very few of them. I think you may just be a wee bit spoiled. <g>

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #26
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I do not put a front licenses plate on my cars and they are required on vehicles in Idaho. I have never been pulled over for it. I did ask a cop and it is a $10 no moving violation so I took my chances. And If I did get a ticket it is just pay the ticket, you don’t need proof that it is fixed.

I see people with no seat belts and studded tires in June next to cops but the cops don’t even notice so I do not think they are going to notice no front licenses plate.
      05-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #27
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

It's a minor fix-it ticket. As long as you have your other orderlies together, it's worth the risk. Front license plates are hideous. Nothing hurts me more than to see one on a Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #28
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

At least some manufacturers have the initiative to attach the bracket without having to drill the bumper cover in some models, but they're not that many. And BMW is not one of them.

Also worth mentioning is that some of us with no front plates are lucky to live in a city bordering a state without front plate requirements, so you seldom get pulled over just for that. Later.
JC
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #29
itsthechuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135, E34M, E30rally,S6, E30 M3

Luckily in Rhode Island they are getting rid of front plates to save the state money! So not front plate for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 coming soon...

No front plate in California for the last 5 years, and have never had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #31
vlupiano
Bumblebee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Two months ago I took a guy for a test drive in my M5. A New Jersey State Trooper catches me doing 71 in a 65 and also informs me that I have no front license plate and -- I swear -- says he has to impound my car. The cop had a nasty German/Polish accent and I swear he was a Nazi. Anyway, after me being as nice as possible (and incredulous because of a tow truck hauling away my M), the cop passed on "impounding" the car and did not give me a ticket for going six miles an hour over the limit. What crap!! It was, in essence, harrasment. Anyway, I am doing an ED on a 135 in July. The car will NOT have a front plate. And I have my excuse all set -- the dealer forgot to put it on; it's on order; then it has to be painted; then they have to call me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #32
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW View Post
I've know several people in CA that have gotten a ticket because of not having the front plate.

Its a fix-it ticket so it can be a real hassle to do the backflips to get the ticket resolved.

I suppose you can always keep it in the windshield . . .
Windshield is just as bad.

I have mine screwed in under the rear plate and if asked will just claim I never got a 2nd plate so I thought it wasn't required.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #33
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

I had Front Plate on my Porsche Boxster when I bought the car in NJ. Now live in FL and no front plate required. I took the front plate off and now have ugly drilled holes that were put in the front bumper. Looks Awful
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #34
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

What front plate laws?

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 04:47 AM   #35
Kayne
Rep
Drives:

I've had 3 fix it tickets in the past 2 years haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #36
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I recently purchased this little Bracket. It mounts on the underside of the bumper. (Yes drilling is req'd, but the holes are out of sight)
It is a little pricey for what you get,..but it will either give you ideas on how to make your own, or give you an alternative to drilling holes in the front of your bumper.

FYI- I got the bracket 2 weeks ago, but still havent mounted it yet,..I just love the look without it.
http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.htm

PS- Anyone know what the penalty is in NY state for no front plate? Is it a fix it ticket, and how much $$ ??
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0