BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
LKN624
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' E90 M3 and 08' E92 M3

Anyone ever had a SZL and DME: Trans Oil Pump Error All in One?

Hey guys, so interesting thing...my car has been in storage for about 7 months now on a BMW battery tender the entire time. I drove it once a couple months ago when I was back and put it back on the tender when I left.

Fast forward to today. I had a friend pick up my M3 to take it to the dealer to get the recent recall done in regards to the battery cable connector replacement. He noticed when he was driving it there that the DSC light was on. Next morning the DSC and EDC light came on and in went the car to be scanned to see what was up. Here are the codes below.

The SZL Steering Angle Sensor Adjustment, Steering Column Switch Center Internal Fault.

And...DME: Transmission Oil Pump

I've heard the SZL error is common and requires the entire steering column switch unit to be swapped out, recalibrated and reprogrammed.

But I have never heard of the transmission oil pump ever as an issue on E9X M cars.

My car is a 2008 with a 6 Speed Manual.

Anyone else ran into this issue before?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

My SZL code required the optical ring to be cleaned about 65000 miles ago

No idea on the pump. Rodents ate the wiring?
      07-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

would check the battery to see if it's on its way out, if its 4 years or older would get it replaced just as preventative maint... szl replace the clock spring, simple fix. transmission pump not sure. check the ground wires leading the engine to see if they are oxidized or falling apart.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
LKN624
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' E90 M3 and 08' E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
My SZL code required the optical ring to be cleaned about 65000 miles ago

No idea on the pump. Rodents ate the wiring?
Yeah I'll see what my Master Tech buddy friend says...I hope it's just a bug or something. But good point, I hope there wasn't any rats where I had it stored but it could happen. Will definitely check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
would check the battery to see if it's on its way out, if its 4 years or older would get it replaced just as preventative maint... szl replace the clock spring, simple fix. transmission pump not sure. check the ground wires leading the engine to see if they are oxidized or falling apart.
Yeah the Battery was replaced 1.5 years ago. Will check the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

What I’m saying is the factory manual says replace the SZL which isn’t cheap and sometimes it’s just dirty. So check that too