BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #265
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
ouch, that really sucks. At least you were able to catch it on the passenger side. If it was the drivers side you would never know...
Haha, true, not overly worried things will fall off but but a tad frustrating for sure. Hopefully gaskets and bolts/grommets can be reused.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #266
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Haha, true, not overly worried things will fall off but but a tad frustrating for sure. Hopefully gaskets and bolts/grommets can be reused.
Good catch, when installing mine the tolerance was so tight that I thought they had clipped in but I tripled-checked my work and a couple of the clips weren't.

I had to push really hard against the cover and pushed the clips pretty hard before they all clicked into place.
Appreciate 2
      12-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #267
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
I had to push really hard against the cover and pushed the clips pretty hard before they all clicked into place.
Which is what I asked the shop to make sure to do....tiring, for both partied I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #268
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
Quote:
Good catch, when installing mine the tolerance was so tight that I thought they had clipped in but I tripled-checked my work and a couple of the clips weren't.

Same here, pulled a mirror next to each one of the tabs. Some of them did require a bit of force to get that snap.

Helmsman totally went out to double check mine after seeing your post, lol - all good from what I could see.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #269
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Same here, pulled a mirror next to each one of the tabs. Some of them did require a bit of force to get that snap.

Helmsman totally went out to double check mine after seeing your post, lol - all good from what I could see.
Mine looked so nice first couple of times I checked...till the "right" side was turned up...

Anyone have an idea whether resuing one month old gaskets and grommits should be ok? Guess will be up to the shop but don't want to mess about more than needed. After all he was one of few who accepted the job.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:04 PM   #270
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Mine looked so nice first couple of times I checked...till the "right" side was turned up...

Anyone have an idea whether resuing one month old gaskets and grommits should be ok? Guess will be up to the shop but don't want to mess about more than needed. After all he was one of few who accepted the job.
For what it's worth I used the same hardware and gaskets that were a couple months old and everything went together just fine. The torque on the bolts is so little I doubt they're unfit unless the mech wrenched on them like a jackass.

While on topic, I somehow ordered two bank 2 gaskets first go around in August and didn't find out til everything was apart. So I cleaned up and threw my 155k mile bank 1 gasket back on and it survived another two months til I put the Slon covers on.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #271
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Heads up guys;

Took a quick look today just to find one of the tabs doesn't appear snapped on. The shop claim they are certain all went on. Talking to a mate who did the job himself he says it is easy to believe they are fully on but needs to be double checked. The spring has to be forced all the way tight into the vanos plate to enable the cover to be fully seated.
So new round with the shop...
Glad you caught that early! I'll definitely pay extra attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #272
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm definitely going to take pictures for reference when I get around to doing this.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #273
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Heads up guys;

Took a quick look today just to find one of the tabs doesn't appear snapped on. The shop claim they are certain all went on. Talking to a mate who did the job himself he says it is easy to believe they are fully on but needs to be double checked. The spring has to be forced all the way tight into the vanos plate to enable the cover to be fully seated.
This is going to be a pretty common issue as the forward plate component of the vanos does not extend equally around the diameter of the vanos adjuster. They're not aligned radially with the main body. They're offset to aid in balancing the coil spring, so clips are not going to seat well if they happen to require clipping to a ledge where the outer plate is flush with the main body. Every adjuster is a little different.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-22-2021, 01:50 AM   #274
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
This is going to be a pretty common issue as the forward plate component of the vanos does not extend equally around the diameter of the vanos adjuster. They're not aligned radially with the main body. They're offset to aid in balancing the coil spring, so clips are not going to seat well if they happen to require clipping to a ledge where the outer plate is flush with the main body. Every adjuster is a little different.
Dean, if I understand this right, would the potential issue be the same for the OEM caps/clips?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 01:57 AM   #275
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
For what it's worth I used the same hardware and gaskets that were a couple months old and everything went together just fine. The torque on the bolts is so little I doubt they're unfit unless the mech wrenched on them like a jackass.

While on topic, I somehow ordered two bank 2 gaskets first go around in August and didn't find out til everything was apart. So I cleaned up and threw my 155k mile bank 1 gasket back on and it survived another two months til I put the Slon covers on.
Good input, thanks Ajolives. Hopefully the tech used the 6nm only I asked him to.

Did you replace the plug tubes first round and reused as well? Assuming lubed properly prior seating they should survive...

Oh, and what about the timing metall gasket, new or reused?

Last edited by Helmsman; 12-22-2021 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #276
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Good input, thanks Ajolives. Hopefully the tech used the 6nm only I asked him to.

Did you replace the plug tubes first round and reused as well? Assuming lubed properly prior seating they should survive...

I also reused my gaskets as they were a month old. I'll report back if they leak. I wasn't spending 240 bucks on those silly bolts, when really it's just the donuts that go bad after 100k miles.

I did replace the U gaskets on the vanos though, for 11 bucks each it's good peace of mind. The little blue gasket sealer on there is important to stop leaks.
      12-22-2021, 05:10 AM   #277
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Also. For the guys installing themselves, I would highly I would highly recommend turning the motor by hand (36mm with a big 1/2 ratchet) as you are installing these. I had two areas where they weren't fully seated but it didn't know about it until the gear turned over.

I second guessed myself on the first two covers I clipped on and found one more section not fully seated. You can remove the little half moon vanos cover to check things out without removing the whole valve cover. Pic for reference
Attached Images

12-22-2021, 05:36 AM   #278
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Heads up guys;

motor should have been spun over with the valve covers off to verify they are fully seated. These things may look thin and flimsy but they are a b**** to snap on.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 3
      12-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #279
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah new tubes the first time around and reused them with a dab of lube.

I also replaced the metal gasket like Move Over did, kind of like a crush gasket and didn't wanna chance it leaking.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #280
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Also. For the guys installing themselves, I would highly I would highly recommend turning the motor by hand (36mm with a big 1/2 ratchet) as you are installing these. I had two areas where they weren't fully seated but it didn't know about it until the gear turned over.

I second guessed myself on the first two covers I clipped on and found one more section not fully seated. You can remove the little half moon vanos cover to check things out without removing the whole valve cover. Pic for reference
Very interesting. Is this your picture, you took the timing cover off?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #281
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Very interesting. Is this your picture, you took the timing cover off?
Yes this is my photo. I took the timing cover off after I found an unclipped one on the passenger side while spinning the motor (the idea came to me after I had finished the driver side). So I pulled off that cover and found one that was unclipped
      12-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #282
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Yes this is my photo. I took the timing cover off after I found an unclipped one on the passenger side while spinning the motor (the idea came to me after I had finished the driver side). So I pulled off that cover and found one that was unclipped
Many thanks, would make nego with the shop much easier. Saw this photo on FB, you're the same, Alex?

Also good input on new timing gasket (+ Ajolives), got it.

And it wasn't an issue to get the timing cover to seal back on top gasket (incl drei bond)?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #283
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Many thanks, would make nego with the shop much easier. Saw this photo on FB, you're the same, Alex?

Also good input on new timing gasket (+ Ajolives), got it.

And it wasn't an issue to get the timing cover to seal back on top gasket (incl drei bond)?
I don't use drei bond anymore. It was a source of leaks on my last car and I've not had leaking issues without it on my new covers.

And yes I'm the same Alex on IG/Facebook.

Let me reiterate though, the vanos caps cannot be changed without removing the valve covers. I only removed the lower drivers vanos cover after I spun the motor on the passenger side to find 2 clips not fully seated. After I pulled that lower cover off I found one clip not fully seated on the driver side, so I'm glad I did. But yes, your shop should not have to pull the valve covers to check.
      12-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #284
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I don't use drei bond anymore. It was a source of leaks on my last car and I've not had leaking issues without it on my new covers.

And yes I'm the same Alex on IG/Facebook.

Let me reiterate though, the vanos caps cannot be changed without removing the valve covers. I only removed the lower drivers vanos cover after I spun the motor on the passenger side to find 2 clips not fully seated. After I pulled that lower cover off I found one clip not fully seated on the driver side, so I'm glad I did. But yes, your shop should not have to pull the valve covers to check.
Ah, now I see your IG sign below. Thanks again Alex, potentially very valuable information!

Cheers
Nik
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 04:23 AM   #285
DirtyM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Just placed an order on mine. Wished I've known about this earlier to get them cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #286
Beemer892
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550

As a reference on delivery time for anyone in the US placing orders, my shipment was released from Russia on December 4th and made it to US soil on December 23rd.
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00