BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #12079
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Without getting too into the weeds, what's normal oil temp to see on the gauge when the car is being tracked/pushed?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #12080
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Without getting too into the weeds, what's normal oil temp to see on the gauge when the car is being tracked/pushed?
Appreciate 2
Kelse921131.50
admranger2984.50
      05-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #12081
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Around 3/4 of the oil temp gauge. No idea what the actual temp is. Seems to be where my car likes to stay. I have a healthy undertray and hood vents.
      05-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #12082
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep

Healthy undertray here. No hood vents but car does have do88 everything on it so cooling should be improved. I've seen the need ticket just past 1/2 way on the temp gauge for very short periods of time when driving in the mountains and that seems to be completely fine/normal, maybe 5/8 of the gauge once.

About to take the car on the longest drive I've done yet this Saturday and it will flogged quite a bit so was more curious for peace of mind at what point do I back off if it starts to go up beyond that.

I tend to trust the input of guys regularly running their cars around on track vs the average Joe outside this subsection.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #12083
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Sorta depends on the track and whether or not your car is DCT or 6MT, but even in 90+ ambient temps I could never get the needle past the 3/4 mark.
      05-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #12084
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
My only track days lately... been playing with a stock E92 M3, no aids (only ABS), sports medium tire to try and replicate my own car. Turn in is pretty weak stock, but I have no clue how to tune in games lol

Have you tried Assetto Corsa? They have the E92 M3 in there (and some variants).
      05-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #12085
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Healthy undertray here. No hood vents but car does have do88 everything on it so cooling should be improved. I've seen the need ticket just past 1/2 way on the temp gauge for very short periods of time when driving in the mountains and that seems to be completely fine/normal, maybe 5/8 of the gauge once.

About to take the car on the longest drive I've done yet this Saturday and it will flogged quite a bit so was more curious for peace of mind at what point do I back off if it starts to go up beyond that.

I tend to trust the input of guys regularly running their cars around on track vs the average Joe outside this subsection.
3/4 on track when the car had some decent mods and somewhat sticky tires. Could run hard for close to an hour in 95* temps with it staying right close or just above the 3/4 mark on a track that is tough on temps. Had do88 coolers then too and felt they did a very good job. 3/4 would probably be my back off point if it tried to continue to creep up from there. Please be careful if pushing the car that hard on the street to sustain those temps though
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #12086
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

the most underrated part of the cooling system is the undertray. there will be the occasional post of some dude in a relatively warm climate that gets to 3/4 of the oil temp gauge in normal driving with the a/c on. its usually because the undertray is non-existent.
its always my first thought when someone is posting about temps and they aren't supercharged.
      05-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #12087
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

On the street I can't fathom how someone could get substantially further than half way

On the track, 3/4 is pretty normal.

One year I tried having a friend from Spain who comes every year to track rent a race car vs use mine. The race car (E92) would get to 3/4 almost immediately. When you go past that the car will start pulling timing but will not blow up or anything. Eventually you get to the warning lights but you can keep pushing further until the car literally shuts off.
The only reason we had to get to such a stupid situation is the people who had rented the car said there was nothing wrong with it and to keep pushing the car until it stopped working.
Terrible experience, never again. 7k for a weekend with a car slower than my street E92 while the rental people say the evident problems are all in your head

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-14-2020 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 3
OG Shark4692.50
Kelse921131.50
kyippee1073.00
      05-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #12088
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
On the street I can't fathom how someone could get substantially further than half way

One year I tried having a friend from Spain who comes every year to track rent a race car vs use mine. The race car (E92) would get to 3/4 almost immediately. When you go past that the car will start pulling timing but will not blow up or anything. Eventually you get to the warning lights but you can keep pushing further until the car literally shuts off.
The only reason we had to get to such a stupid situation is the people who had rented the car said there was nothing wrong with it and to keep pushing the car until it stopped working.
Terrible experience, never again. 7k for a weekend with a car slower than my street E92 while the rental people say the evident problems are all in your head
Very much this - if you are getting to 3/4 on the street (or even 1/2) please, please be very careful - or just try to find a track to scratch that itch. Going to be running hard to get to that temp.

And like what SYT_Shadow is saying about the 3/4 mark and pulling timing - think that is our wall with these cars with any system in the stock orientation - with enough pace these cars at some point will get there no matter the upgraded coolers, vents, diverters, etc.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11491.50
      05-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #12089
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My opinion: if the car is pulling timing, this is a protection measure and you are going to accelerate wear (among other things). I'm not sure I would continue thrashing it until things cool down and the ECU lets things go back to normal.
      05-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #12090
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Very much this - if you are getting to 3/4 on the street (or even 1/2) please, please be very careful - or just try to find a track to scratch that itch. Going to be running hard to get to that temp.

And like what SYT_Shadow is saying about the 3/4 mark and pulling timing - think that is our wall with these cars with any system in the stock orientation - with enough pace these cars at some point will get there no matter the upgraded coolers, vents, diverters, etc.
Right now the stroker E90 stays at 3/4 with BFG R1 (not a true slick) and full do88 and the oil diverter valve. Not much else can be done cooling-wise, I guess run all distilled water
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #12091
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
My opinion: if the car is pulling timing, this is a protection measure and you are going to accelerate wear (among other things). I'm not sure I would continue thrashing it until things cool down and the ECU lets things go back to normal.
Agreed, but the rental people insisted.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #12092
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Right now the stroker E90 stays at 3/4 with BFG R1 (not a true slick) and full do88 and the oil diverter valve. Not much else can be done cooling-wise, I guess run all distilled water
Was wondering how the temps held up with the stroker. Still were getting decent power for a whole typical track session though? Or was it pretty noticeable when timing started getting pulled?

Hopefully there are some more options for a car that has already crossed the line into full stupid territory & will never see the street again. We are giving it a shot - do not want to be power limited in any way in the classes I run since I am already on the low side. Hopefully it pans out or I've wasted a lot of time & money for nothing
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11491.50
      05-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #12093
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Was wondering how the temps held up with the stroker. Still were getting decent power for a whole typical track session though? Or was it pretty noticeable when timing started getting pulled?

Hopefully there are some more options for a car that has already crossed the line into full stupid territory & will never see the street again. We are giving it a shot - do not want to be power limited in any way in the classes I run since I am already on the low side. Hopefully it pans out or I've wasted a lot of time & money for nothing
I think it has to go pretty much to 7/8 before significant timing is pulled.

The stroker is full speed until the end. No degradation of performance at 3/4. The fastest lap usually comes late in the session as well.
Basically, you keep up with a 991 GT3 in straights at the beginning of the session and also at the end.

And this example is a stroker with many more hp than regular M3s, so I don't worry.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #12094
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My car hits 1/2 on the temp fairly easily. I can run a fun twisty road at 4/10 and if the revs are up enough it will creep to 1/2 or just slightly past. I'm fairly new to this car and instead of coming back saying hey I ran the car for 30 minutes at 3/4 of the temp gauge did I do damage I'm just looking to understand beforehand what's normal and what isn't.

Also asking because if it tends to sit a little above average maybe I have some other underlying issue that needs some attention.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #12095
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
My car hits 1/2 on the temp fairly easily. I can run a fun twisty road at 4/10 and if the revs are up enough it will creep to 1/2 or just slightly past. I'm fairly new to this car and instead of coming back saying hey I ran the car for 30 minutes at 3/4 of the temp gauge did I do damage I'm just looking to understand beforehand what's normal and what isn't.

Also asking because if it tends to sit a little above average maybe I have some other underlying issue that needs some attention.
Completely understand & sorry if it came across as judgy or preachy - wasn't my intention. Just trying to say if you make it up to 3/4 on the street you have had to push really, really hard. A street drive doesn't seem like it could sustain that push long enough to get to 3/4 but definitely could be wrong. Do not have to be at 10/10 to get there would think but should take more than what you describing your anticipated pace as. If you do get to 3/4 wouldn't sweat it though - unless it seems like it got there too easily.

Also I live in a pretty hot+humid environment & both my E92 & E90 M3s typically have run at or a little above the 210 mark during normal street driving. The E90 has stock cooling but the E92 for the short time it was on the street had the full do88 package.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #12096
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Completely understand & sorry if it came across as judgy or preachy - wasn't my intention. Just trying to say if you make it up to 3/4 on the street you have had to push really, really hard. A street drive doesn't seem like it could sustain that push long enough to get to 3/4 but definitely could be wrong. Do not have to be at 10/10 to get there would think but should take more than what you describing your anticipated pace as. If you do get to 3/4 wouldn't sweat it though - unless it seems like it got there too easily.

Also I live in a pretty hot+humid environment & both my E92 & E90 M3s typically have run at or a little above the 210 mark during normal street driving. The E90 has stock cooling but the E92 for the short time it was on the street had the full do88 package.

No offense taken. I do like to have my fun and I'm sure there have been plenty of times over the years I've probably gone a little too hard on the street. I've got two little ones at home now though so I'm far less inclined to drive completely reckless on the street.

I live just north of Atlanta so very familiar with hot and humid. We've had an amazing spring so far but I think the warm weather is finally inbound. I anticipate continuing to drive the car throughout the summer so it will see plenty of hot weather.

It took me 3-4 years of being scared of buying a BMW to finally just do it so I'm naturally a bit cautious especially in a car that seems to be somewhat oil sensitive. I'm still very much learning what's actually normal. Doesn't help that I bought a car modded up and down so I'm starting from a very different place than bone stock. I spent the last 10+ years in various S2000s and those cars are pretty much set it and forget it, flog at will.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #12097
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
No offense taken. I do like to have my fun and I'm sure there have been plenty of times over the years I've probably gone a little too hard on the street. I've got two little ones at home now though so I'm far less inclined to drive completely reckless on the street.

I live just north of Atlanta so very familiar with hot and humid. We've had an amazing spring so far but I think the warm weather is finally inbound. I anticipate continuing to drive the car throughout the summer so it will see plenty of hot weather.

It took me 3-4 years of being scared of buying a BMW to finally just do it so I'm naturally a bit cautious especially in a car that seems to be somewhat oil sensitive. I'm still very much learning what's actually normal. Doesn't help that I bought a car modded up and down so I'm starting from a very different place than bone stock. I spent the last 10+ years in various S2000s and those cars are pretty much set it and forget it, flog at will.
The M3 can be beat on with little concerns. Not many people get to the 3/4 oil mark at the track in the first place, you need sticky tires and a lot of pace
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #12098
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Have you tried Assetto Corsa? They have the E92 M3 in there (and some variants).
The GT4 is nice. The regular E92 and GTS variants have the worst front end. Finally busted out the rig after several months and tried AC. It's much easier than I remember iracing to be.
      05-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #12099
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
The GT4 is nice. The regular E92 and GTS variants have the worst front end. Finally busted out the rig after several months and tried AC. It's much easier than I remember iracing to be.
Assetto has pretty normal physics. Iracing is kind of crazy with its physics engine
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #12100
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Assetto has pretty normal physics. Iracing is kind of crazy with its physics engine
Yea I recall being in constant high alert mode, with assists off in the MX-5 cup in iracing, to maintain control on the limit, but in AC the M3 variants up to GT4 seem almost impossible to spin.