BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

10-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #23
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

Perfect! Thanks for that and I'm definitely going to get these. How low did you go on your setup, are you at the suggested max low?

Last edited by ebisu8; 10-12-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #24
m3 g
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 M Performance Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
A few months late on my initial review so here it is.

My comparison is going to relate to E90 M3 with the B16 Damptronic vs my friends stock F80 M3 with stock EDC suspension.

Prior to this I had my stock EDC dampers paired with the Swift springs so I don't remember what my stock felt like.

comfort: the B16 damptronic feels softer/ more comfortable and at the same time more planted than the stock F80 M3 EDC in comfort mode

Medium: again more comfortable than medium on the F80 M3 yet having better dampening

Stiff: just as stiff as the F80 M3, same comfort, better dampening

Overall it is a huge improvement over the stock F80 M3 so I am assuming it is just that much better than the stock e90 M3 edc.

Depending on the surface you are driving on, you can tailor the settings to give you a ton of grip and stability no matter what the conditions at a push of a button.

On my 2000 mile roadtrip through twisty pacific west mountain roads and bumpy downtown streets around Portland and San Francisco I did not bottom out the suspension. Around San Francisco's rough streets I was dodging in and out of traffic and traveling faster than normal traffic around the inclines and declines without any bottoming out or hitting the bump stops.

In fact although the car sits a little lower than my original setup with swift springs and EDC oem dampers, my wife thought I put the car completely back to stock.

Haven't had a chance to take it on the race track yet... hopefully in the next couple of months... I expect it will do great.

It's not the ultimate track coilover, but it's excellent if you are looking for something for both street and track. Also out here in Socal, not all the tracks have glass smooth surfaces so in which case a high spring rate can actually be detrimental.

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a set of these for my e92 m3 - did you purchase any camber plates/rear toe arms to keep the car within factory specification?

Also after a few more months driving is your review of these still the same?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 12:14 AM   #25
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 g View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a set of these for my e92 m3 - did you purchase any camber plates/rear toe arms to keep the car within factory specification?

Also after a few more months driving is your review of these still the same?
I have Ground Control Camber plates up front. I actually have it dialed in for more camber so I get more even wear when driven more aggressively or for the track.

After having these on the car for awhile, my review is still the same
Appreciate 2
JsL447.50
      11-25-2015, 12:15 AM   #26
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '88 E30 M3

I guess the question is, if you aren't looking for adjustable ride height is it better to just get a set of Bilstein HD EDC shocks and lowering springs (not sure which springs would be best match) vs the B16 coilover set? I'd be curious to hear how the 2 setups compare.
      11-27-2015, 01:13 AM   #27
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by attbimmer View Post
I guess the question is, if you aren't looking for adjustable ride height is it better to just get a set of Bilstein HD EDC shocks and lowering springs (not sure which springs would be best match) vs the B16 coilover set? I'd be curious to hear how the 2 setups compare.
Previous to my B16's I had Swift springs on the OE EDC shocks.

The original plan for me was to just replace the shocks with the Bilstein HD EDC shocks. However from everyone I spoke with the swift springs + the Bilsteins would raise the ride height up to be equivalent to a ZCP ride height.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 02:01 AM   #28
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I'm on Swift Spec R & Bilstein B6 DampTronic (HD EDC Shocks in US). I would say they are about 1 finger lower than my car on the ZCP setup. I had the shocks installed with the ZCP springs prior to getting the Swift Spec R and it had also lowered the car slightly.
Attached Images

11-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #29
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I'm on Swift Spec R & Bilstein B6 DampTronic (HD EDC Shocks in US). I would say they are about 1 finger lower than my car on the ZCP setup. I had the shocks installed with the ZCP springs prior to getting the Swift Spec R and it had also lowered the car slightly.
So how does the ride compare to stock at the various edc settings?
      11-28-2015, 04:17 AM   #30
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by attbimmer
Quote:
So how does the ride compare to stock at the various edc settings?
For me, EDC on ZCP only had useable Comfort and Normal Modes. In Sport it was completely unusable as it is too harsh for the local roads. Hitting a bump or uneven pavement felt crashy. Even in Comfort mode you'd have to crawl over a speed bump and the car always felt like it wiggled afterwards.

With the EDC on the Bilstein B6D with Swift Spec R, the Comfort mode feels more comfortable than the ZCP and is better damped so it soaks up bumps better. There's less body movement and you can feel more of the road. The Normal mode is now in between the ZCP's Normal and Sport mode, so this is the definitive choice for canyon carving without the ride being too harsh. The car does not wiggle after going over a speed bump anymore.

Btw this ride height I have is slightly taller as I am on 255/35/19; 275/35/19 PSS. With the stock tire size the car will look even lower.
      11-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #31
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For me, EDC on ZCP only had useable Comfort and Normal Modes. In Sport it was completely unusable as it is too harsh for the local roads. Hitting a bump or uneven pavement felt crashy. Even in Comfort mode you'd have to crawl over a speed bump and the car always felt like it wiggled afterwards.

With the EDC on the Bilstein B6D with Swift Spec R, the Comfort mode feels more comfortable than the ZCP and is better damped so it soaks up bumps better. There's less body movement and you can feel more of the road. The Normal mode is now in between the ZCP's Normal and Sport mode, so this is the definitive choice for canyon carving without the ride being too harsh. The car does not wiggle after going over a speed bump anymore.

Btw this ride height I have is slightly taller as I am on 255/35/19; 275/35/19 PSS. With the stock tire size the car will look even lower.
Thanks. This sounds like a worthwhile upgrade then for my use, which is almost entirely on the street. I'm at 65k miles currently on all stock suspension components at the moment. The stock shocks seem ok right now, but could probably be replaced in the next year or so.
      01-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #32
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I'm sold on upgrading to the b16 damptronic and will be doing that in next 60 days.

The question I have is being my car is about to hit 70k miles would it be smart to replace
Any other suspension parts while I'm getting the b16 installed?

Bushings, sway bars ect.. Anyone have any advice on these things?
      03-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #33
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Bump.

Interested in the same kit and would also like to know if other parts are in need of replacing after 70k miles.

Also, I understand spring rates out of the box are 500/800. How does this stiffness feel in comfort mode?
      03-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #34
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Curious if anyone's tried this kit at the track yet?
      03-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #35
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin
Curious if anyone's tried this kit at the track yet?
I finally did.

They worked out great. I left them in the middle EDC setting so they automatically went from stiff on the smoother high speed sections to compliant and well dampened on the rougher sections. You don't actually feel the change... It just feels overall tuned to every surface on the track.

I can't think of a better dual purpose setup.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 04:03 AM   #36
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Might be worth flashing ZCP EDC soft over non ZCP cars once B16 is installed. That way you get dynamic dampening in sport+ as well.
      03-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #37
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I finally did.

They worked out great. I left them in the middle EDC setting so they automatically went from stiff on the smoother high speed sections to compliant and well dampened on the rougher sections. You don't actually feel the change... It just feels overall tuned to every surface on the track.

Glad to hear it! I also wanted to ask if you've installed or have considered installing camber plates with this setup? The reason I ask is bc some of the 997 guys that have fit Damptronics or PSS-10's said they had issues mating them to camber plates. I think they got it sorted but it wasn't as simple as they had hoped.
      03-24-2016, 10:37 PM   #38
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin
Quote:
I finally did.

Glad to hear it! I also wanted to ask if you've installed or have considered installing camber plates with this setup? The reason I ask is bc some of the 997 guys that have fit Damptronics or PSS-10's said they had issues mating them to camber plates. I think they got it sorted but it wasn't as simple as they had hoped.
I have ground control camber plates... EAS did the install and didn't tell me if there where any issues. I'm assuming they matched up just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #39
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhat
Might be worth flashing ZCP EDC soft over non ZCP cars once B16 is installed. That way you get dynamic dampening in sport+ as well.
I need to look into that if it's possible. I have a 2008 so I don't know. Wonder if any of the coding people would know.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #40
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have ground control camber plates... EAS did the install and didn't tell me if there where any issues. I'm assuming they matched up just fine.
Nice, glad to hear it.

For the ZCP EDC coding I would inquire with Alex at Alpine or Mike Benvo (both regulars on here).
      05-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #41
B18c jdmgsr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have a set of B16's in my M3, absolutely love them but I am going to be pulling them out soon. If anyone is interested I'll be selling them when they come out. Rufly 4500-5000 miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:14 AM   #42
Emm Tree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by attbimmer View Post
Previous to my B16's I had Swift springs on the OE EDC shocks.

The original plan for me was to just replace the shocks with the Bilstein HD EDC shocks. However from everyone I spoke with the swift springs + the Bilsteins would raise the ride height up to be equivalent to a ZCP ride height.
Where are you in SoCal? I'm in West LA and would love to check out this setup (and pick your brain re: Swift springs) before pulling the trigger.

Last edited by Emm Tree; 05-26-2016 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #43
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18c jdmgsr View Post
I have a set of B16's in my M3, absolutely love them but I am going to be pulling them out soon. If anyone is interested I'll be selling them when they come out. Rufly 4500-5000 miles on them.
Why pull them out? I may be interested. PM me when they are off.
      06-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #44
tankengine
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18c jdmgsr View Post

Hey im also interested when you pull these off
Appreciate 0