BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Nail in tire, TPMS problem

A few weeks ago I was fortunate enough to have a nail in my tire. Not realizing the problem, I drove around for a couple of weeks before the low tire alert came on, followed shortly by the TPMS malfunction . After examining the tire and seeing the nail, I took it and got it plugged. After this, I reset the TPMS via the button on the dash, but it's not wanting to reset.

Everything was fine pre-nail, then suddenly its acting all weird. I'd rather not take it to the dealer. What are the chances the nail messed up the 1 (or all) TPMS's? It should be noted these are RS Technic TPMS's.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
vastano
Captain
Rep

any help here from the tire experts?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

i dont see how it would have "broken" the tpms unless the nail went directly through the valve stem. Try resetting but you have to be at a standstill.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
i dont see how it would have "broken" the tpms unless the nail went directly through the valve stem. Try resetting but you have to be at a standstill.
i've tried resetting it through the center button and through iDrive. no dice.

I have ordered the BT tool to help solve this issue. I'll post up when I figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
i've tried resetting it through the center button and through iDrive. no dice.

I have ordered the BT tool to help solve this issue. I'll post up when I figure it out.
hmmm....stumped.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Is it warning of incorrect pressure? Or is it saying TPMS malfunction? It is possible that when they fixed the tire, they didn't put the right pressure in. Or that some other tire has the wrong pressure for an unrelated reason.

Another theory: Did they dismount the tire and patch it from the inside as well as plugging it? If so, maybe the sensor was damaged during dismount/remount.

The odds of the nail harming the sensor are low, but not beyond possibility. If the puncture is within range of the valve stem, the nail could have spiked the sensor part if you were exceptionally unlucky.
      09-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Is it warning of incorrect pressure? Or is it saying TPMS malfunction? It is possible that when they fixed the tire, they didn't put the right pressure in. Or that some other tire has the wrong pressure for an unrelated reason.

Another theory: Did they dismount the tire and patch it from the inside as well as plugging it? If so, maybe the sensor was damaged during dismount/remount.

The odds of the nail harming the sensor are low, but not beyond possibility. If the puncture is within range of the valve stem, the nail could have spiked the sensor part if you were exceptionally unlucky.
hey Ben, I was hoping you'd be one of the people to reply to my thread!

The error i'm getting is the TPMS malfunction. They dismounted it and plugged the tire from the inside, I stood there and watched them. He put 35psi in it. Also, the nail was nearly in the center of the tire. I'm going to check my pressures tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
hey Ben, I was hoping you'd be one of the people to reply to my thread!

The error i'm getting is the TPMS malfunction. They dismounted it and plugged the tire from the inside, I stood there and watched them. He put 35psi in it. Also, the nail was nearly in the center of the tire. I'm going to check my pressures tonight.
Glad to [try to] assist. That debunks most of my theories right off the bat, and given that it's the malfunction warning my theory about air pressure is on shaky ground.

Is your car a fairly early year for the E90? We are getting to the point where cars of the 08 vintage could have sensor batteries dying.
      09-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Glad to [try to] assist. That debunks most of my theories right off the bat, and given that it's the malfunction warning my theory about air pressure is on shaky ground.

Is your car a fairly early year for the E90? We are getting to the point where cars of the 08 vintage could have sensor batteries dying.
Nope, 2011. I'm stuck too, thats why i'm hoping the BT tool will help solve the issue. It arrives Thursday so I should be able to figure it out on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Brian@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Its also possible they damaged the sensor and it is no longer transmitting.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
SAINT VAN ROCK
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012, E92 DCT M3

Garage List
Any luck? I had the same exact situation happen...took a nail smack in the center of the right rear tire . I kept the vehicle parked & used the kit to put air in the tire and seal the hole. Replaced the tire and now all 4 TPMS' are indicating low pressure although all are properly inflated. Reset the system and no love
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINT VAN ROCK View Post
Any luck? I had the same exact situation happen...took a nail smack in the center of the right rear tire . I kept the vehicle parked & used the kit to put air in the tire and seal the hole. Replaced the tire and now all 4 TPMS' are indicating low pressure although all are properly inflated. Reset the system and no love
going to look into it today. However, mine says TPMS malfunction, not that any of the tires are low.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
vastano
Captain
Rep

Just read the codes:

604E
Error:Tire Pressure Control-system
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have been completed

Error: Wheel electronic undefined
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have been completed

Pretty sure its the RDC unit. Gotta do more research.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
vastano
Captain
Rep

found the solution:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904325
Appreciate 0