BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

01-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #2795
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth View Post
The most frustrating part of searching is even BMW Certified site can't differentiate 6mt from DCT. And some posts don't have enough pictures or none at all.
Half the cars have DCT when searching for a manual. Get a clue!
I feel your pain. Vehicle search engines are about 20 years behind some of the car technology. And it doesn't help that BMW creates manual transmissions with automated modes - most every bipedal hominid out there thinks that anything that doesn't require shifting by hand is an "automatic transmission". I've even gotten into heated debates with a very gifted mechanic friend (think: future Ridler award winner) who insists my DCT is an automatic transmission.

If anyone tells you DCT is automatic, remind them that automatic transmissions have torque converters and valve bodies (or at least electric solenoid systems in place of a valve body). Of course, the SMG had an electro-hydraulic gear selection system, dammit....

I just wish some search engine builder would step up and add that all important third option to the transmission selection, something that would gather up DCT, SMG, and whatever Audi and the rest offer, into one label. Call it "automated manual"?

Many of the otherwise skilled salesmen think that anything without a clutch pedal is an "automatic", so whomever is the "internet sales manager" for a dealership ends up selecting automatic in the online sales filing. There's also that very thin portion of the sales force who recognize the difference, and are just as frustrated with that lack of a third option as we are. Do they put manual, because thats what the car really is? (and wave off all those shoppers who don't want a stick shift ) or do they put automatic to attract the anti-clutch pedal folks (while incurring the wrath of us purist demigods for seeming so stupid that they don't know what DCT is?)

I'd also be happy if the search engines allowed selection by exclusion. I'd really like to be able to search for anything but white, or anything but silver, or anything but red, for certain cars. I'd like to shop Ferrari's and exclude red, because they look so good in black, blue, etc. Can't. I'd have to manually go in and select every color but red and by the time I'm done I'm tired of shopping. Some sites will allow boolean terms so I can put "-red" in the keywords and that usually gets results, but what if the car is black over tan, and the ad copy states "includes factory-custom red stitching"? I'd never see the car.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #2796
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
I feel your pain. Vehicle search engines are about 20 years behind some of the car technology. And it doesn't help that BMW creates manual transmissions with automated modes - most every bipedal hominid out there thinks that anything that doesn't require shifting by hand is an "automatic transmission". I've even gotten into heated debates with a very gifted mechanic friend (think: future Ridler award winner) who insists my DCT is an automatic transmission.

If anyone tells you DCT is automatic, remind them that automatic transmissions have torque converters and valve bodies (or at least electric solenoid systems in place of a valve body). Of course, the SMG had an electro-hydraulic gear selection system, dammit....

I just wish some search engine builder would step up and add that all important third option to the transmission selection, something that would gather up DCT, SMG, and whatever Audi and the rest offer, into one label. Call it "automated manual"?

Many of the otherwise skilled salesmen think that anything without a clutch pedal is an "automatic", so whomever is the "internet sales manager" for a dealership ends up selecting automatic in the online sales filing. There's also that very thin portion of the sales force who recognize the difference, and are just as frustrated with that lack of a third option as we are. Do they put manual, because thats what the car really is? (and wave off all those shoppers who don't want a stick shift ) or do they put automatic to attract the anti-clutch pedal folks (while incurring the wrath of us purist demigods for seeming so stupid that they don't know what DCT is?)

I'd also be happy if the search engines allowed selection by exclusion. I'd really like to be able to search for anything but white, or anything but silver, or anything but red, for certain cars. I'd like to shop Ferrari's and exclude red, because they look so good in black, blue, etc. Can't. I'd have to manually go in and select every color but red and by the time I'm done I'm tired of shopping. Some sites will allow boolean terms so I can put "-red" in the keywords and that usually gets results, but what if the car is black over tan, and the ad copy states "includes factory-custom red stitching"? I'd never see the car.
Well, you and the other BMW enthusiasts here know the difference between an automatic transmission and DCT. I don't think the 99% of the public including salesmen really care unless they are also enthusiasts.

I've seen "automanual" as an option on one of the search engines can't remember which though.

I like the exclusion idea. Anything to make searches moreI hear stories of forum members waiting more than a year to find their car. I see a few that I'm interested in but not at the price they are asking.

You're looking at Ferrari's? Nice! I've searched M4s, M6s, etc... Keep coming back to the E92's.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #2797
Davey27
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Completely agree the search engines, regardless of site thy are horrendous. Comes down to having to manual scroll through all listings without excluding anything based on a filter, as you never know if those filters are removing something you want to be included, given nothing is labeled consistently.

To make matters worse there is no one site to my knowledge like a Kayak.com equivalent that aggregates all listings. If you know of it I'd love the suggestion. Albeit at this point I'm not longer in the market in the near future.

Now just need to figure out how to never let any of Mother Nature's elements touch my car given it's parked outside.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #2798
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Don't discount ads for cars not having images from dealers. Mine didn't. I can only assume it's due to having limo tint on the front windows and they didn't want to be responsible.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:30 AM   #2799
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth View Post
You're looking at Ferrari's? Nice! I've searched M4s, M6s, etc... Keep coming back to the E92's.
So do I. I'm shopping for a 6MT if I can find one that matches up to my DCT car. That one took me over a year of searching. That was back when cars with mileage in the mid-teens were still easy to find, and stick cars were harder to sell than DCT.

But even though I'm more satisfied with BMW than anything else I've ever owned or driven, I'd still like the experience of having an exotic. I'd consider anything they've made, even the front engine cars, but I kind of have a desire for a classic Pininfarina style like the 348tb.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #2800
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Starbucks View Post
Don't discount ads for cars not having images from dealers. Mine didn't. I can only assume it's due to having limo tint on the front windows and they didn't want to be responsible.
If the car is local, can definitely go take a look. Otherwise, it's not feasible. I'm mostly looking to see if it is indeed 6mt.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #2801
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
So do I. I'm shopping for a 6MT if I can find one that matches up to my DCT car. That one took me over a year of searching. That was back when cars with mileage in the mid-teens were still easy to find, and stick cars were harder to sell than DCT.

But even though I'm more satisfied with BMW than anything else I've ever owned or driven, I'd still like the experience of having an exotic. I'd consider anything they've made, even the front engine cars, but I kind of have a desire for a classic Pininfarina style like the 348tb.
I hope to score a 6mt Ferrari one day as well. The sound of the engine is worth the price of admission(maintenance). One day...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #2802
Drdaven
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3

2005 M3 purchased used 2015

Specify the following details

When purchased:Nov. 2015
Year and Model:2005 M3 (E46) convertible
Miles:95000
Options:- Alpine White Exterior
- Grey Interior
- Black Soft Top
- 6-Speed Manual
- Built in Nav
- OEM CSL Wheels
- OEM Short Shifter
- New VANOS (new from dealer, not rebuilt)
- Bilstein PSS10 Adjustable Coilovers
Transmission:6 speed manual
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #2803
im4ipsc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP Comp S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
It's truly impossible to speculate on that. Take two E90 M3s with identical 70k miles at this age; let's say they are even 2011 models, so have been on the road for 9 years. Now ponder one that was garaged 24/7, never driven on winter roads, owned by a crazed enthusiast so given royal treatment the entire time, and was never a daily driver. The second car had 3 owners, lived outside since new 24/7, driven year round up north on salt roads, and used as a daily driver commuter car.

In other words, especially at this age, the market will definitely value the car's history and condition in some cases significantly.
So true, dealerships, unless in a very small town, won't have the "history" of the cars that they're selling. Private sellers need to be able to show their enthusiastic attitude towards the maintenance and upkeep of their cars. Heated and air conditioned garages is one sure tell sign that you are buying from an enthusiast. A well used car cover in an upstate location has the telltale signs of daily driven and no room for my car in my parent's garage. Receipts in chronological order are another sign of an enthusiast as opposed to someone saying that the RBCs or TBAs have been done. And please people, never ask why the owner is selling the car; that can be very personal for some...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #2804
DBJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 E60 530I / 09 E90 M3 SEDAN

When purchased:2012
Year and Model:2009 E90
Miles:10,649 / 108170 now
Options:
TransmissionCT
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #2805
cmoroney
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 1996 328i

2011 E92
Space Grey Metallic, black interior, carbon fiber roof
DCT
Comfort access, nav, heated seats. No EDC or rear sunshade unfortunately
59,000 miles, all in warm weather (TX), clean carfax aside from having several owners
$29,500

Some small rock chips on the front bumper which is to be expected for a 8 year old car but otherwise the paint is in immaculate condition. Minor curb rash on one wheel.

Took it to a German auto shop for a PPI. He said the actuators we're about to go out (found out later he was just doing me a solid by giving me a bargaining chip, he had a soft spot for E92's), mentioned the curb rash and said the seal on the diff was a little leaky. The only mod he noticed was the secondary cats and resonators were removed and pipes welded in.

The car looks, sounds, and performs great. Interior is in great condition. Very happy with the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #2806
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoroney View Post
No EDC or rear sunshade unfortunately.
My 2011 lacks the sunshade. That and BMW apps are the only options missing. From time to time I wonder how difficult it would be to add it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #2807
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

2012 M3 ZCP (May 2012 production)
Alpine White
CF roof
Fox Red leather
DCT
fully loaded except for extended leather
8800kms (5500 miles)

Purchased Nov 2019 for $50,000cdn ($36,000usd) plus tax.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #2808
mv33458
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

2008 E92 M3
~56,000 miles
6 speed manual
Alpine white, Black leather, Carbon leather trim
Carbon roof
iDrive, Comfort Access, Individual audio, power seats

Paint is in excellent condition, Interior in good condition other than some typical wear on the driver seat

Carfax does have a minor accident (rear bumper cover was replaced) but nothing structural. Clean title though.

A few minor mods - eisenmann exhaust, lowering springs, Apex wheels, BMW performance carbon trunk lip spoiler

Paid $18,500 private party

How did I do? Feels like a pretty solid price based on my research.
Appreciate 1
Freiheit492.00
      02-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #2809
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv33458 View Post
2008 E92 M3
~56,000 miles
6 speed manual
Alpine white, Black leather, Carbon leather trim
Carbon roof
iDrive, Comfort Access, Individual audio, power seats

Paint is in excellent condition, Interior in good condition other than some typical wear on the driver seat

Carfax does have a minor accident (rear bumper cover was replaced) but nothing structural. Clean title though.

A few minor mods - eisenmann exhaust, lowering springs, Apex wheels, BMW performance carbon trunk lip spoiler

Paid $18,500 private party

How did I do? Feels like a pretty solid price based on my research.
Wow awesome deal so long as it's clean.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #2810
Evo13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

When purchased: 12/13/2019
Year and Model:2013 E92 M3
Miles: 48,xxx
Options: zcp, CF roof, mineral white with/ black-and-grey two tone leather
Transmission: dct
Paid: $32,000.00

After looking for over a year, I'm really happy with finding this M3. It had one owner, all dealer maintained and it was located in my state.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #2811
Lazrdnayr
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

When purchased: February 2020

Year and Model: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine/Bamboo

Miles: 6,500

Options: Loaded NON ZCP - 19” 220M wheels

Transmission: 6 speed

*Bone stock. Never been mixed, previously owned by an elderly couple*

$43k
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881102.50
      04-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #2812
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazrdnayr View Post
When purchased: February 2020

Year and Model: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine/Bamboo

Miles: 6,500

Options: Loaded NON ZCP - 19” 220M wheels

Transmission: 6 speed

*Bone stock. Never been mixed, previously owned by an elderly couple*

$43k
I think I know this car and it's owner maybe.... Did you get it from FL?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 11:27 PM   #2813
Bpark1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Bought in Nov 2018
2008 E93 Space Grey/Fox Red
6MT
Nav, EDC
90k miles
Clean carfax
$19k from a used dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #2814
mrm3too
Pump that Bass
Rep
Drives: E36, Model 3, Cayenne S

Garage List
2013 Frozen Black E92 Comp
CF Roof
Nav
Almost every option
60k Miles

I think I did fairly well, super clean. RBs not done yet.

1995 E36 AA M3
F80 M3 X Volk TE37s
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #2815
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm3too View Post
2013 Frozen Black E92 Comp
CF Roof
Nav
Almost every option
60k Miles

I think I did fairly well, super clean. RBs not done yet.
DCT? Good deal !
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #2816
mrm3too
Pump that Bass
Rep
Drives: E36, Model 3, Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
DCT? Good deal !
Yes DCT also. Had two E9X previously, have an e46 now. Feels good to get back in to an e92 with more options.

1995 E36 AA M3
F80 M3 X Volk TE37s
Appreciate 0