BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

07-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

New Bimmerworld aluminum pedals installed

I saw the recent email blast about the new Bimmerworld aluminum pedals and figured I'd try them out. The price is reasonable and they are my favorite design I've seen so far (Turner's would be a close second).

Pros:
- They come in silver or black
- I like the grip of the metal pyramids on the brake pedal
- I like that the gas pedal is smooth but still has some semblance of grip with the inlaid squares
- Included hardware works/fits well
- Aluminum seems good quality, strong yet light

Cons:
- The brake pedal (and likely the clutch pedal too, but I can't confirm) curvature does not match the oem curvature - the top portion fits ok, but the bottom has a significant gap (see pictures below)
- There's not really a solution to this, but the oem brake pedal arm for the M3 comes in from an angle unlike the 3 series where it comes down the middle, therefore you can't put screws anywhere except the right side (see pictures below)
- The gas pedal "slant" does not match oem - not a big deal, but if you line up the bottom of the pedal to be parallel to the floor, the right edge of the pedal does not follow the same angle as oem. The BW pedal is a good bit larger though, so it will cover it up completely
- Nitpicking here, but the bottom and top of the gas pedal are not parallel with each other (not noticeable once installed and looking into the foot well from the doorway)

Installation notes:
I tried following the instructions using masking tape and a hole punch, but it turned out poorly. I ended up holding the pedal in place with one hand and using a silver sharpie to mark my drill spots. The rest of the instructions were good though. For the gas pedal, you can put the screws anywhere really, but down the middle seemed the best to me. As far as vertical spacing, there was no real reason for the holes I picked. I did want my bottom screw to be 1 hole up, but I messed up the hole and had to improvise. For the brake pedal, the 2 holes where I put the bolts are the most clear spots (with regard to the back) and the most flush spots. I will probably end up drilling out a 3rd hole on the right side just so the pedal is attached a little bit more, but the pedals feels attached quite well as it is - no play to it. I drilled my holes on the "hills" of the brake pedal rather than "valleys" so it would sit more flush. So even with the curvature not matching the oem pedal, I have no issues.

All in all, I am very happy with how it turned out. It really adds a lot to the foot well. I'm sure I forgot some details, so let me know if you have any specific questions.

And yes, I'm aware that I need to vacuum and probably overdue for some new floor mats.

-
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
msan401.50
mreed38.00
      08-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Are you still running these? Looking for set of pedals now specifically with wider gas
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:20 AM   #3
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Are you still running these? Looking for set of pedals now specifically with wider gas
Yes I am! No issues and I still love them. I never even installed a 3rd screw on the brake pedal and I've done many track events and lots of miles - it's not going anywhere
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
Quote:
Yes I am! No issues and I still love them. I never even installed a 3rd screw on the brake pedal and I've done many track events and lots of miles - it's not going anywhere
Are the instructions E9x specific? Not many seem to be using these- did you ask BW about the fitment?

Only other photo I see in another E9x also using only 2 screws
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are the instructions E9x specific? Not many seem to be using these- did you ask BW about the fitment?

Only other photo I see in another E9x also using only 2 screws
From the little research I've done it seems they were designed for the 3 series specifically, not the M - hence the issue with the brake pedal. I don't remember if the instructions specifically mention the M3 or not. Either way, once installed, the pedals cover any fitment issues and everything is able to be securely attached.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I had pedals like these before but in the winter and snow, it was brutal.
      08-17-2019, 12:54 AM   #7
andrewmega
wwwwwwwww
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've got mine installed with four screws per pedal, very secure and the fit is excellent.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 2
M3MPH1S592.00
Exclusivs540.50
      08-17-2019, 01:24 AM   #8
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
I had pedals like these before but in the winter and snow, it was brutal.
why brutal? I bought the same ones and I would think the grooves give us better contact than the oem flat ones
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
why brutal? I bought the same ones and I would think the grooves give us better contact than the oem flat ones
they were super slippery in the winter cause they didn't have a rubberish finish.
When there was snow or ice on the bottom of the shoes, my foot would slide all over the pedals...
      08-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmega View Post
I've got mine installed with four screws per pedal, very secure and the fit is excellent.

View post on imgur.com
This is fantastic, thank you for posting! Knew there had to be others using these. Any install notes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
they were super slippery in the winter cause they didn't have a rubberish finish.
When there was snow or ice on the bottom of the shoes, my foot would slide all over the pedals...
Who drives their M in the snow?

I'm just kidding around. For some I know it's necessity.
Appreciate 1
GORDON.M31403.00
      08-18-2019, 01:33 AM   #11
andrewmega
wwwwwwwww
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This is fantastic, thank you for posting! Knew there had to be others using these. Any install notes?
Nothing special to install. I lined up the pedals and taped them down, marked inside the pedal holes I wanted to secure them by, and then drilled the through-holes very slightly larger than the bolt diameter.

Just as a reminder, after lining up the pedals and securing them in place but before drilling the holes, make sure you double check that you're clear of any obstruction behind the pedals. I recall there being some features on the backside of the brake pedal that could potentially cause some difficulty.
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs540.50
      08-19-2019, 02:43 AM   #12
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmega View Post
Quote:
Nothing special to install. I lined up the pedals and taped them down, marked inside the pedal holes I wanted to secure them by, and then drilled the through-holes very slightly larger than the bolt diameter.

Just as a reminder, after lining up the pedals and securing them in place but before drilling the holes, make sure you double check that you're clear of any obstruction behind the pedals. I recall there being some features on the backside of the brake pedal that could potentially cause some difficulty.
The brake pedal is steel from what I remember right?

Did you drill on the raised or dipped slats?

Premier install really well done
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 12:18 AM   #13
andrewmega
wwwwwwwww
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The brake pedal is steel from what I remember right?

Did you drill on the raised or dipped slats?

Premier install really well done
Yes, brake pedal is steel. With the spacing that I went with for the bolts, they ended up going through the raised ridges.

View post on imgur.com

Reviewing and taking a picture of the back reminded me that I did have to do something a little different. The top left bolt, or top right if looking from the back, was running into the brake pedal arm, so I had to cut it down a little bit. You can see it in the picture, though the quality isn't great (hard to get a good shot down there!)

Also, looking at the picture it appears that maybe I installed slightly off level, but it looks completely straight from the drivers seat. It would drive me crazy if the pedal was tilted or turned so I definitely took a lot of care to make sure of that, haha
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs540.50
      08-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #14
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Awesome good info that helps a lot actually. Looks pretty dead on level to me. Thanks for posting those tips!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #15
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 AW DCT ZCP ESS 625

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome good info that helps a lot actually. Looks pretty dead on level to me. Thanks for posting those tips!
On of my installs while hunkered down...
Attached Images

05-28-2020, 05:26 AM   #16
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
I see pictures of stock pedals and they just look terrible...like an old family sedan. Lot's of good options out there and very happy with these just missing a few rubber grommets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 09:52 PM   #17
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

A few more install tips

I just installed these pedals on my e92 328i after my first track day where I was struggling with heel-toe downshifts. My hope is that the extra gas pedal width helps me get more consistent. TBD.

A few thoughts on the install:

1) Do the brake pedal last. It's the hardest since it's metal and you can learn the process on the easier plastic pedals.
2) The brake and clutch pedals have little horizontal "valleys" that are ideal alignment for drilling the holes. They will help keep your drill bit from skipping and also ensures that your pedal covers are visually level.
3) I've seen multiple folks complaining of unlevel pedals after install. If you use the "valleys" to drill your holes, this won't be an issue, but you can also use a leveler to check that the pedal covers are level.
4) I used all four screws/bolts on the gas and clutch, but only 3 bolts on the brake pedal cover. The pedal arm gets in the way of the top left bolt, and the only way to make that bolt fit would be to cut it, or misalign the pedal cover. I saw multiple folks with only 3 bolts, so I just did that to keep alignment. No issues.
5) If you don't have a punch to set the initial drill hole, just use a nail.
6) For the gas pedal, if you align it along the right side of the OEM pedal, the bottom left corner may hit. So be sure to raise it off the floor a bit.
Attached Images

04-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #18
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
I just vice gripped the bw covers onto the brake and clutch and drilled. The bw covers fit the curvature perfect and I used all four bolts in the brake pedal.