BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

M3 at 35 and 911 at 40. 2 of the 3 cars I've always wanted are off the list. Ferrari by 50? I digress.

So after the recent acquisition one of the current 3 cars had to go. We have a 2014 VW Touareg TDI, 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek and a 2010 E90 M3. Wife told me M3 must go!

After listing the M3 for 1+ months, I got no real bites. I toyed the idea of selling the Subie. I bought it for 27, could probably get 23 but selling it to a local dealer for 20.7.

Punchline: I'm selling the Subaru and keeping the BMW!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #2
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Now onto the comparison. Everything is 20% better: braking, acceleration and stopping. Fuel efficiency is 50% better. Sound is 50% worse. Practicality is 50% worse.

I can't wait to take the 911 to the track to really wring it out.

I'm glad to keep both cars and still be in the BMW family!
Appreciate 2
Lucky1639.50
akkando5860.00
      06-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
hondaaccordv6
Rep
Drives: 2002 Accord V6 Garage Queen

Beautiful C4S! Planning to get into a 997.2 in a couple years.

What was one thing that surprised you the most from the transition from M3 to the 911?
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
e90turbos
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Hopefully i can one day park a 911 beside my e90 m. Very nice.
Appreciate 4
SDPLV493.00
xander_g962.50
      06-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0to60under4 View Post
Beautiful C4S! Planning to get into a 997.2 in a couple years.

What was one thing that surprised you the most from the transition from M3 to the 911?
Nothing really surprised me, as I research and research a car before I buy. The lack of surprise does not diminish my metaphorical smile when I go for a spirited run in the 911.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Great decision :thumbs:

Subaru's are everywhere, you can always pick another one up pretty easily.
Appreciate 3
      06-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Great decision :thumbs:

Subaru's are everywhere, you can always pick another one up pretty easily.
Yes they are. I wouldn't have the XV Crosstrek if they upgraded the materials and gave it an WRX engine. M3 way better in everything except snow. I've got winter performance tires on separate rims for the winter. DE doesn't get much snow or ice during the winters.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
rymerc
winner of many hpde trophies
Rep
Drives: 08 e90

Haven't driven a 991 or 991.2 yet

Good choice on colors, c4s will hold its value better than a base carrera as well. I fully recommend owning a 911 and m3, good choice to fill a 2-car garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Natural Progression!

I hope to be there sometime soon. 40 is a great age to shoot for, I got 6+ years to go. I know I can do it earlier if I wanted too, just trying to strike a good balance financially, part of me wants to buy it, part of me wants to wait and invest in the long term now then treat myself later. I'm perfectly content with the M3 for now if I have to be. Have you ever felt the same way? or was it something you wish you did sooner?

Edit: Now it's time to upgrade that garage! Finish the walls and add cabinets and life would be complete, haha.
Appreciate 1
xander_g962.50
      06-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Natural Progression!

I hope to be there sometime soon. 40 is a great age to shoot for, I got 6+ years to go. I know I can do it earlier if I wanted too, just trying to strike a good balance financially, part of me wants to buy it, part of me wants to wait and invest in the long term now then treat myself later. I'm perfectly content with the M3 for now if I have to be. Have you ever felt the same way? or was it something you wish you did sooner?

Edit: Now it's time to upgrade that garage! Finish the walls and add cabinets and life would be complete, haha.
Haha. No I don't regret waiting. The M3 was a used one I got in 2012 as a present to myself after fellowship. The dude was a rich baron to a shipping company and lived in the Hamptons. I worked for 5 years and am now on the verge of partnership. The 911 is also a used, albeit CPO vehicle. I saw some interesting formulas about affordability of a car. The rule of thumb I use is: if you can afford 2 or 3 if you had to afford it. My other reason to buy now is because of low interest rates.

Regarding the garage: yes it needs to be finished but car first and garage second. Silly as it sounds the M3 will be parked outside once the Subie goes on Saturday. I need to either Opticoat it or clear film it. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #11
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

Are you giving the other spot to your wife and the toureg?

Aside: what about a 4 post lift to keep both inside?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #12
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkexige View Post
Are you giving the other spot to your wife and the toureg?

Aside: what about a 4 post lift to keep both inside?
The lift idea sounds good.

We actually have 2 garage which could fit 2 cars each but it's a tight fit. Especially for cars with wide hips
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #13
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

ah this is my dream garage...e90 m3, white 4s/gt3 and hopefully a red ferrari later in life...lol always dream big
glad you kept the M3! esp driving the current BMWs i don't think i'll get rid of my E90 M3 6mt anytime soon, just always fun to drive, great sound, that special engine, and most importantly it was the dream car of my 20s
congrats on a great looking 911!
      06-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #14
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman727 View Post
Quote:
Natural Progression!

Haha. No I don't regret waiting. The M3 was a used one I got in 2012 as a present to myself after fellowship. The dude was a rich baron to a shipping company and lived in the Hamptons. I worked for 5 years and am now on the verge of partnership. The 911 is also a used, albeit CPO vehicle. I saw some interesting formulas about affordability of a car. The rule of thumb I use is: if you can afford 2 or 3 if you had to afford it. My other reason to buy now is because of low interest rates.

Regarding the garage: yes it needs to be finished but car first and garage second. Silly as it sounds the M3 will be parked outside once the Subie goes on Saturday. I need to either Opticoat it or clear film it. Thoughts?
Oh nice. Was able to pick up my used M3 half way through residency, I regret waiting and having wasted time owning a 330Ci first but financially made sense at that time. Had I bought an E46 M3 first, I am not sure I would have swapped aside from wanting 4 doors.

Have been planning for a Lam or Ferrari once fellowship done and while rates are low. Saw another forum member who was looking to do the same.

However, Porsche does seem like a smarter next natural step by 35-40. Will see - picked up couple of condos and now have a kid on the way so either I'm in good shape or really screwed!

Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #15
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Natural Progression!

Oh nice. Was able to pick up my used M3 half way through residency, I regret waiting and having wasted time owning a 330Ci first but financially timing made sense at that time. Had I bought an E46 M3 first, I am not sure I would have swapped aside from wanting 4 doors.

Have been planning for a Lam or Ferrari once fellowship done and while rates are low. Saw another forum member who was looking to do the same.

However, Porsche does seem like a smarter next natural step by 35-40. Will see - picked up couple of condos and now have a kid on the way so either I'm in good shape or really screwed!

I have a 3 year loan and payments are ~12% and soon to be ~8% of our take home income. So if you are a church goer it's like a tithe but I'm "tithing" to Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #16
SDPLV
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Natural Progression!

Oh nice. Was able to pick up my used M3 half way through residency, I regret waiting and having wasted time owning a 330Ci first but financially timing made sense at that time. Had I bought an E46 M3 first, I am not sure I would have swapped aside from wanting 4 doors.

I have a 3 year loan and payments are ~12% and soon to be ~8% of our take home income. So if you are a church goer it's like a tithe but I'm "tithing" to Porsche.
Got it. Seems like a good range to be at.

We're at ~11% take home between the 06 X3 (3 yrs left) & 08 M3 (4 yrs left). Looking forward to the day I can take a 3 yr on a Porsche.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #17
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

btw im there with you haha, this damn endless medical education...
hopefully i'll see the light at the end of the tunnel...and follow your path n grab myself the next next gen 911 gt3 lol
      06-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #18
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Quote:

hopefully i'll see the light at the end of the tunnel...and follow your path n grab myself the next next gen 911 gt3 lol
911 gt3 would definitely not be my daily. I toyed with the idea 991.2 GT3. It may even be appreciate but ultimately not a car I can daily, too low and too flashy. I'm plus the delta would be > 40k over a CPO'd 991.2 4S. The Carrera line feels like the gentleman's sports car. An AM Vantage would also one but too old and difficult to service.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
SDPLV
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Quote:

911 gt3 would definitely not be my daily. I toyed with the idea 991.2 GT3. It may even be appreciate but ultimately not a car I can daily, too low and too flashy. I'm plus the delta would be > 40k over a CPO'd 991.2 4S. The Carrera line feels like the gentleman's sports car. An AM Vantage would also one but too old and difficult to service.
I'd settle for a 997 Turbo S.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:26 AM   #20
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Solid choice, I have an e90 and 4s as well, except my 4s is a 997.2. Can't beat this combo, both have such different personalities, anytime I'm in one, I miss the other.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:28 AM   #21
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
Solid choice, I have an e90 and 4s as well, except my 4s is a 997.2. Can't beat this combo, both have such different personalities, anytime I'm in one, I miss the other.
I would love to drive a 997 and 993 for comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #22
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
I would love to drive a 997 and 993 for comparisons.
It's really a matter of preference on feel, the speed is more apparent in the 997, the 991 is more of a gt feel, I love the 991, just wasn't in my price range yet.

What did you finish your fellowship in? Attending life is so much better, I don't miss residency for a second
Appreciate 0