BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
GT3fan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90m

Which sounds better - Corsa mufflers or Primary test pipes/cat delete?

I currently have the Corsa mufflers and test pipes that delete the primary cats w/ a tune. It sounds great, but is too loud for my taste and also I feel the bark is much louder than its bite. Basically, car is too slow for the noise it makes.

I originally installed the mufflers first and then deleted the cats. I don’t remember what it sounded like with the Corsas and stock cats. Personally, I don’t like having to find that special shop when renewing my registration, which leads me to putting the cats back on. However, I don’t want to lose the power gains if any, but doubt it was much outside of the increased noise.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG2M3 View Post
I currently have the Corsa mufflers and test pipes that delete the primary cats w/ a tune. It sounds great, but is too loud for my taste and also I feel the bark is much louder than its bite. Basically, car is too slow for the noise it makes.

I originally installed the mufflers first and then deleted the cats. I don’t remember what it sounded like with the Corsas and stock cats. Personally, I don’t like having to find that special shop when renewing my registration, which leads me to putting the cats back on. However, I don’t want to lose the power gains if any, but doubt it was much outside of the increased noise.

Thoughts?
If you go back to stock xpipe, it's true, power will be lost. I actually just swapped my TP's out for smog and have the exact same setup with the Corsa.

If you are worried about having to swap back and forth for smog, go back to the stock X, but it's obviously a compromise.

Personally, i joined the Bomiz valved exhaust group buy so that i can enjoy the "loudness" on-demand, and close the valves when I'm not looking to attract any negative attention.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #3
mikejnc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E90 M3, GX460, LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
If you go back to stock xpipe, it's true, power will be lost. I actually just swapped my TP's out for smog and have the exact same setup with the Corsa.

If you are worried about having to swap back and forth for smog, go back to the stock X, but it's obviously a compromise.

Personally, i joined the Bomiz valved exhaust group buy so that i can enjoy the "loudness" on-demand, and close the valves when I'm not looking to attract any negative attention.
When you swap out the test pipes for smog, do you just clamp the stock cats back on or do you swap in a whole full OEM x pipe?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #4
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejnc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post

When you swap out the test pipes for smog, do you just clamp the stock cats back on or do you swap in a whole full OEM x pipe?
I have an entirely separate x-pipe. There's another member on here that actually had V-band's welded to his x-pipe, cats, and test pipes so that he can just swap out when needed. Unfortunately the location that requires the cats to be cut for test pipes doesn't leave enough material behind to be "clamped" back onto the X-pipe unless modifications like v-band attachments are made.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0