BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

What's the deal with...Chemical Guys?

Hey all - I've been an automotive enthusiast all my life and of course, that means cleaning and caring for the cars, both mechanically and otherwise. I've learned a ton over the years (like 20+ years) and evolved from washing my mom and dads cars with dish soap when I was a kid to the two-bucket, microfiber high quality product methods of today. With that in mind, my question is this - what's the deal with Chemical Guys? I'm not married to their products but general purchase their stuff primarily. I've never done much research until the last few months when I started watching Larry's and other detailing videos. While researching, reading, etc, I've noticed Chemical Guys gets a lot of hate, especially on their YT channel. Personally, I've never had a problem w/ their products so I'm wondering where the hate comes from. Is it unfounded?? Is there a good reason? Yes, a couple of their videos show a busty chick detailing a car and you can tell the focus isn't 100% on the task at hand but outside of that, I'm not sure what the issue is. Is it due to the higher price tag for marginal performance?

What are some other lines that offer the same performance or better for a more reasonable price? Before you say it, I'd love to use ammonyc but for my needs (personal cars only), it just doesn't make sense.

How does Adam's polishes stack up? Meguiars? Sonax? I've read opinions on the detailing forums and groups on FB, I'd like to hear what you guys think.

thanks!
      08-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Hey all - I've been an automotive enthusiast all my life and of course, that means cleaning and caring for the cars, both mechanically and otherwise. I've learned a ton over the years (like 20+ years) and evolved from washing my mom and dads cars with dish soap when I was a kid to the two-bucket, microfiber high quality product methods of today. With that in mind, my question is this - what's the deal with Chemical Guys? I'm not married to their products but general purchase their stuff primarily. I've never done much research until the last few months when I started watching Larry's and other detailing videos. While researching, reading, etc, I've noticed Chemical Guys gets a lot of hate, especially on their YT channel. Personally, I've never had a problem w/ their products so I'm wondering where the hate comes from. Is it unfounded?? Is there a good reason? Yes, a couple of their videos show a busty chick detailing a car and you can tell the focus isn't 100% on the task at hand but outside of that, I'm not sure what the issue is. Is it due to the higher price tag for marginal performance?

What are some other lines that offer the same performance or better for a more reasonable price? Before you say it, I'd love to use ammonyc but for my needs (personal cars only), it just doesn't make sense.

How does Adam's polishes stack up? Meguiars? Sonax? I've read opinions on the detailing forums and groups on FB, I'd like to hear what you guys think.

thanks!
I personally use Meguiars Gold Wash on my E46 and Chemical Guys's pink stuff on my M3. It's nothing OUT of this world but gets the job done.

In my opinion, the Pink stuff is definitely better than Gold Wash.
In addition to that I use Chemical Guy's ACC_326 Foam Gun, and Cyclone Dirt Trap and Cheille Microfiber Wash Mitt as well.

It gets the job done and cleans the car. Don't understand the hate but I would guess it's because they are a tad expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

I have used and continue to use lots of chemical guys stuff. I don't care about the hate. Their products work great, are reasonably priced in my opinion and it gives me satisfaction of going against the grain.
scrammer420.50
      08-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Only use Mr. Pink soap and microfibers from Chemical guys. Car care products I usually stick to Sonax which is superior imo. Their latest spray & seal is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Chemical Guys used to be a smaller operation and now they've grown and branched out with a lot of slick marketing. Maybe people are upset that this once secret, underground product is now mainstream and even sold on Amazon -- sort of a "I liked it before it was cool" type of argument?

One thing that has annoyed me a bit is their ridiculous assortment of products. The differentiation between some of their items is poor (or they just suck at explaining it). Have you ever looked at the soaps and cleaners, for example? Other than a different scent/color, I honestly have no idea what the difference is between some of them. Yes, companies like Meguiar's and Mother's have a broad lineup, but their differentiation seems to be clearer.

I know that some people have stopped buying CG because they are now doing private labeling:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/category_s/306.htm

Like many other things, I think it comes down to this: try it for yourself and vote with your wallet.
      08-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

I tried pretty much everything on the market . But one thing is great =>*Wolfgang*
I wash my car only with Wolfgang Auto Bathe . I have never waterspots with this stuff and the shine is incredible !
Great product line from Wolfgang=> https://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wg1000.html

My microfiber towels are from Klin Korea-Drying Duo => https://www.thedetailingbooth.co.uk/...0x90-305-p.asp

Great stuff all together !

Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:21 PM   #7
Kal_el
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Love chemical guys products.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 02:42 AM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Been using their leather conditioner for quite some time. Does good and smell good.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

IMO in the past 10 years of trying different things and promising myself to continue to experiment with latest and greatest I've only come across a few CG products that I like. JetSeal, Their leather conditioner, Honeydew and citrus wash. I didn't end up re-purchasing these products but i did like them. I have tried probably 5-6 others but just found better or had better alternatives..

My current go to to date

Microfiber - From Phil at DD - Uber no name (any of you guys have better?)
Drying - Adams plush and Uber super drying
Wash - Currently using Nanolex Pure, just finished the bottle of Lusso Auto Bathe
Wheels - Adams Eco, i am very light on my wheels for cleaning agents
Clay - Pick your poison, I like the new pads and mitts better then traditional bar
Compound - M100 for the tough stuff, LOVE Jescar correcting
Polish - Again LOVE Jescar Micro Finishing
Glaze - Adams Brilliant glaze (if i ever use it)
Seal - Collinite 845 + jescar PL+ ( Unbeatable if you let them cure properly)
Quick Detailer - Kenotek which is everything i've ever wanted...

About to try...
Sonax Spray and Seal
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
TrueToBMW
///M
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have a box full of CGs products, I never tried it before owning my M3, but I like their stuff, and I'm a fan of their YT videos on the 'how-to' of the product, in case you are confused on how to wash your car
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #11
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I really like chemical guys' products. I've used clean slate, gloss works, jet seal, inner clean, and the leather cleaner and conditioners, as well as their chenille wash mitt. I also bought the torqx DA kit and have been satisfied with it all. Their how-to videos are also helpful when learning how to polish, etc.

That being said, I do feel that they are over saturating themselves with a zillion products that have little variation. They also seem a little cheesy at times and overly repetitive of product details, descriptions, slogans, etc... which is probably where a lot of hate comes from.

Like anything take what you see with a grain of salt. I watched plenty of other videos/channels when learning how to DA. I like their products but I'm not a fan boy that's gonna eat up everything they sell.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      08-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

CG is decent but there is better stuff on the market. You get what you pay for here. There soaps are great.

I've bought and been disappointed everyone time with their wash mitts and micro fibers. I won't be buying those from them again
      08-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #13
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
CG is decent but there is better stuff on the market. You get what you pay for here. There soaps are great.

I've bought and been disappointed everyone time with their wash mitts and micro fibers. I won't be buying those from them again
Agree. The wash mitt works fine but isn't the best. It also arrived ripped - poor QC.

I've never used their microfiber towels, so couldn't say.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #14
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
Agree. The wash mitt works fine but isn't the best. It also arrived ripped - poor QC.

I've never used their microfiber towels, so couldn't say.

I have about two dozen of their towels in various sizes and a few of their wash mitts. They're perfectly fine for the money and I like how I can get different colors.

I have tried Costco towels and a few others. Never noticed any substantial difference, so I just stick with CG since it's easy to get via Amazon S&S.
      08-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

A lot of these products are made of the same base chemicals / ingredients, I don't think Chemical Guys stuff is any better or worse than any other mass brand. I have a mixture of Chemical guys, Adams, Carpro, and AMMO products currently. AMMO is expensive but I have learned a lot from Larrys Youtube vids so feel like it's worth supporting. I have coats of Reflex and Skin on the paint, and Hydrate is a brilliant drying aid.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      08-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #16
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

+1 for learning a lot from Larry @ Ammo.

I'm also a fan of Pan the Organizer - he's been doing some reviews of these various product lines, too
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00