BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

03-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
sinth
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Air Intake sensor location? e92 m3

Hi guys

I have a p0111 error code which is the air intake temperature sensor. Does anyone know the location so I can buy the sensor and do the change myself.

Appreciate the help

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

I may be wrong but I believe this is it. (red arrow)

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 15364
Size:  113.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

It is in the intake air duct next to the oil filter cover. The code is for Intake-air temperature sensor, plausibility so BEFORE buying a new sensor check the electrical connector and wiring at the sensor.
1. Push the metal clip retainer and unplug.
2. Inspect the connector pins on both sides of the connection.
3. Reconnect and clear codes.
4. Drive the vehicle to see if the code returns or monitor the data for the intake air temp to see if it matches reality. Do the readings seem plausible. You will need a scantool that can read data or just drive it to see if the code returns.
Attached Images

Last edited by kenwelch; 03-26-2014 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: check procedure
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
sinth
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
It is in the intake air duct next to the oil filter cover. The code is for Intake-air temperature sensor, plausibility so BEFORE buying a new sensor check the electrical connector and wiring at the sensor.
4. Drive the vehicle to see if the code returns or monitor the data for the intake air temp to see if it matches reality. Do the readings seem plausible. You will need a scantool that can read data or just drive it to see if the code returns.
Awesome

Thanks dude
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Someone with greater knowledge may speak up, but it also may be dirty. Try gently cleaning it with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.
      09-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
How do you remove this sensor from the plenum if I may ask?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      09-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
How do you remove this sensor from the plenum if I may ask?

If you look at the photo i attached...Push in the silver wire clip and pull off the connector

Then look for the plastic clip #12 that is wrapped around the sensor (circled in red). You just need to pull up and wiggle it off.
Don't worry about breaking it, it won't really snap or anything and even if it breaks it's literally a 50 cent part.

After you get the clip off you can now twist and turn the sensor. Twist and pull the sensor out. You'll have to keep twisting and pulling until you find the correct spot for the sensor to slip out
Attached Images

09-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Someone with greater knowledge may speak up, but it also may be dirty. Try gently cleaning it with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

I would try electronics cleaner. You can get it at most auto parts stores.
      09-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

CRC MAF Clear would do the trick. I cleaned it when it was still inside the plenum.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
benwynne
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Question here, I recently got a error with the Intake temperature sensor listed here, I removed the temperature sensor and the harness came with it.

photo attached...

I understand there's a replacement pigtail, but does anyone here have any info of the connection? If I could find the other 'end' of my cable, I could at least try a short term fix.

Thanks for the help guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

It’s part of the harness under the plenum. You should be able to splice in some wire no problem and reattach that connector. Just be patient. Obviously someone yanked on it. The harness is tightly routed.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwynne View Post
Question here, I recently got a error with the Intake temperature sensor listed here, I removed the temperature sensor and the harness came with it.

photo attached...

I understand there's a replacement pigtail, but does anyone here have any info of the connection? If I could find the other 'end' of my cable, I could at least try a short term fix.

Thanks for the help guys.
The wire should be still hanging down there, remove the plenum and search on the left middle/front side of the car. Next to where the oil fill cap is.
You can splice the wires and solder them back together. If you have trouble, cut off the plastic shielding with some small cutters or with an utility knife. Then before you solder the wires slide in a tube of heat-shield to cover it all after you done repairing the wire. Electrical tape wrapped around it is also fine.
      06-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Thanks to all who contributed to this simple thread! I got a P0111 code last week and when I searched for the location of the air intake temp sensor, I found this thread. After reading through it we decided to start with just cleaning the sensor first before buying a replacement, and it totally worked. Stuff like this is why I love this forum. It's the little things
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      02-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #14
JBG84
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
...Then look for the plastic clip #12 that is wrapped around the sensor (circled in red). You just need to pull up and wiggle it off.
Don't worry about breaking it, it won't really snap or anything and even if it breaks it's literally a 50 cent part...
To remove that plastic clip, it needs to be pushed and wiggled down. It should then slide right off. I found using a very small flathead screwdriver helpful to just give a little separation, but may not be necessary.

This thread was very helpful! Just wanted to contribute my bit
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      02-02-2024, 07:12 AM   #15
dgarageua
Registered
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 | M3 E92 | M3 F80 | M3

Hi guys, have problem on my M3 with 2nd temperature sensor. Buy new one, same problem. Cable is ok. Anyone have experience? Maybe DME?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DrFerry6722.50
      02-02-2024, 09:42 AM   #16
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarageua View Post
Hi guys, have problem on my M3 with 2nd temperature sensor. Buy new one, same problem. Cable is ok. Anyone have experience? Maybe DME?
Solving the error will probably become a process of elimination and deduction. Check both ends of the sensor cable connectors for oil, dirt and grime. Then wiggle the cable around and see if a voltage signal results. Some have found sensor cables with broken wires inside them - especially in areas of high heat. Example O2 sensors. Consider replacing the sensor cable just to be certain. So #1 = New sensor. #2 = Clean sensor cable connections and check connectors. #3 = Check sensor cable continuity of voltage conduction when removed from the car. #4 = get a new Sensor Cable? This is all I can think of for the moment. It's also possible the new sensor could still be a bad one. Good luck.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 02-02-2024 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 2