BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-02-2024, 12:00 AM   #1
chaseman5000
Chaseman
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW M3

Price check: 94k miles $15k maintenance quote

hey everyone, I joined this forum when I first got my car back in 2009 — I drove it up to 35k miles and then let my sister use it from 2015-2024 and it’s now up to 94k miles. She took it in for regular maintenance.
I just got it back from her and am planning to restore the car a bit, first starting with the critical internal parts and eventually with the aesthetic stuff. I got a quote for $15k for everything, but I have a 2 questions for the group:
1/ I haven’t had the car in so long and don’t have a sense at all for what is reasonable cost so would appreciate any thoughts/guidance?
2/ should I take it to the dealer for this service or is it ok going to a local reliable shop?

Thank you!!
Attached Images

03-02-2024, 04:10 AM   #2
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
About 1k too much for rod bearings. Last I checked, TA are about 700-800 for a rebuilt pair with core exchange and they have a lifetime warranty. The labor should be no more then 800 for TA so you're getting ripped off there. Can't comment on the paint/body work quotes. Is the steering wheel the OEM m performance? If so that's good pricing. If you're getting an amplifier, I'd recommend an aftermarket replacement instead of OEM. Something like bavsound, bimmertech, match 7up, etc. is worth the investment from the reviews. Don't just top off brake fluid do a proper flush. I switched to motul rbf600 with upgraded pads and stainless steel lines (all 6 lines). Instead of OEM headlights consider an upgrade like bayoptik for example. If you're investing this much then also look at your valve covers for leaks and replace if needed. The plenum will already be off for the TA and will be even easier to do the spark plugs. Consider replacing the coil packs too if doing plugs at 100k
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 12:08 PM   #3
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

I agree with everything Reddevils7 said (except for his choice in football club). It's a lot of work, price isn't too high.
RB and TA quotes seem a bit high. Body work seems reasonable if it's done at a quality shop. Amp replacement seems cheap but if you have the budget there are better ones for closer to $1k. Bimmertech's lightwave amp seems to be pretty awesome (assuming you have individual audio package). Depends on how much you care TBH since factory is pretty decent. EDC modules are $900 new or $150 used so I'm assuming that's for a used one (which is fine).

As far as shops, I see you are also in the bay area. There are a few m-focused shops scattered around, and I would trust any of them more than a dealership.

I go to Vt Motorworks in Pleasanton, they're pretty renowned as one of the best.

Edge Motorworks in San Ramon is great too, I have some friends with e90s that go there (I might switch to this one since it's closer).

Performance Dynamic in Mountain View is the place to go on the Peninsula, have some other e9x friends that go there.

There are others, but those are the three I have personal experience with.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package

Last edited by Thumbie; 03-08-2024 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 01:52 PM   #4
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB/FR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
I go to Vt Motorworks in Pleasanton, they're pretty renowned as one of the best.

Edge Motorworks in San Ramon is great too, I have some friends with e90s that go there (I might switch to this one since it's closer).

There are others, but those are the three I have personal experience with.
Completely unrelated and not to be creepy, but do you live in the Tri-Valley? I moved into the area recently and our cars are twins (2011 JB E90 but DCT lol). I have some maintenance coming up soon and was looking to try Edge or VT. Heard great things especially about VT as one of my friends takes all his BMWs there.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 03:42 PM   #5
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
Holy hell that is WAY to much for the RB and TAs.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 04:14 PM   #6
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanseiDorifto View Post
Completely unrelated and not to be creepy, but do you live in the Tri-Valley? I moved into the area recently and our cars are twins (2011 JB E90 but DCT lol). I have some maintenance coming up soon and was looking to try Edge or VT. Heard great things especially about VT as one of my friends takes all his BMWs there.
Ha! nice! I live in oakland but I work there. Vt is great, if not the best, for M cars. I've been goin there since I owned the car about a year and a half. I might switch to Edge though since it is much closer to me. Both will take care of your car.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0