BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

10-13-2022, 03:56 AM   #67
gavsadler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Update: Aug-22 to Oct-22:

This year has been crazy, to say my day job has been demanding the past 6 months would be an understatement. This, coupled with the start of some home renovations from May-July meant that everything else has had to be on auto-pilot: friends, family, car stuff, G Shift, the works. Thankfully some normalisation has returned and I can start to balance things out again.

In August, I took off half a day and decided to attend the BMWFanatics Dyno Day, held at Xcede Performance. Having Dyno’d the other cars over the years, I was keen to see what the M3 would do. It’s also weird having owned the car for 3.5 years and I had not yet made the effort or had the opportunity to take the car for a run.

We got there nice and early, and managed to hop onto the rollers within about 30mins. I must say it was great to hear the car revving to the moon. I expected around 220wKw, so was not far off at the end of it all. It’s also nice to see the Table Mountain torque curve, and linear lines for both Power and Torque actually. Brilliant motor!

Overall, the day was well run, and there was a good variety of cars as well. One thing is for sure though, the Turbo cars have moved the game on tremendously. It’s quite remarkable what power can be extracted from these modern engines with relatively minimal work and mods. It was a refreshing change of scenery for me (nice to actually do something recreational on the weekend instead of working), and also marked my 1st car event for the year.

For those who haven’t seen elsewhere on the forum, I’ll post the results below.

https://youtu.be/cAEXrSOrz0I

Fast forward about a month, and I made a point of registering for the BMW CCG Skid Pan and X-Drive day. I always enjoy these events, it’s definitely a favourite of mine. This time round, the event was held at the new BMW X Drive Park in Waterfall. We started off the day with an introduction and briefing followed by the outline of the day’s events. Participants were split into 2 groups, half would do the X-Drive course in some rather well kitted out X3s, and the other half would tackle the skid pan.

We started off in the X3s. They were 20d models, which have been kitted out with raised suspension and some big proper off-road tyres. The guys said these vehicles would be travelling to and from Namibia for tours through the sand dunes. Interesting indeed. The X-Drive course had a good mix of different obstacles, and I must say I was impressed with the ability of these models. From simple things like hill descent control, through to proper axle-twisting pot holes, the X3s breezed through it all.

We then moved on to the skid pan, which is a lot smaller compared to the ones at Kyalami and Zwartkops. Also, it’s a dry skid pan, so only smooth concrete to slide around on. This also helped to keep the cars relatively clean. A mirror course was setup, and 2 participants would go head to head, doing a run on one side, before swapping over to the other side. In total, we each did 6 runs, and there was some time left over for a few “freestyle” runs.

I also brought my daughter along, so we had a nice father-daughter day out. She has never been on the skid pan before, or experienced any major craziness in cars before (don’t quote me on that, haha), but she was keen to see what it’s all about. On my first run, I took it easy, to learn the course, and to see if she would freak out at all. Nothing to worry about on that front, so thereafter I decided to just have as much fun as possible. I setup my GoPro in a different spot on each run, to capture different views, and of course our reactions inside the car. Videos below.

Given that it was a small course, I kept the car in manual, 1st gear. On the first run I left TC on, although this was interfering quite a bit, so I decided to switch it off for all the other runs. The car was very easy to control and place, and the LSD certainly made things easier to rotate around the cones. Instant response from the motor also played a big role. Towards the end of my runs, I was managing to get some proper slides and drifts going around parts of the course. Next time, I’d like to get some outside footage from the sidelines.

Despite all my hooning, I got a 2nd place in the M Class. It was also nice to meet up with some fellow Fanatics, and made some new friends on the day too. I’m already keeping my eyes peeled for the next event.

https://youtu.be/_0PR8OBEjKI

https://youtu.be/VP4shRIn_DA

https://youtu.be/nWp93zywsg4

Moving along, despite all the activity and work that has materialised this year, G Shift has been ticking over. I will devote more attention to this in the coming weeks to bring Fanatics up to speed with what has been happening. More recently, I’ve had more time to spend on the cars, and try out some new products too. P&S products are coming to G Shift early in 2023 hopefully, but for now, I’ve brought in a handful of products for customers, and to try myself.

A couple of days after my usual maintenance wash, I decided to try a rinseless wash in the garage. Given that the car was clean and only had some surface dust, I tried out the rinseless wash using Optimum No Rinse (ONR), and followed that up with some application of P&S Bead Maker. The slickness of the paint was awesome after application, I hope the pictures below can do it some justice:

https://youtube.com/shorts/x5IDCJieH7I?feature=share

As mentioned, I’ll post elsewhere for details on these products and other developments at G Shift.

To end off this update, a couple of weeks ago, I took the family on a breakfast run organised by one of my customers. We headed to a coffee roastery in Pretoria East. It was a good morning out, with a good mix of cars including a 911 Cabriolet, Toyota 86, Bug Eye Scooby, Z3 M Coupe, E60 M5, 350Z and GR Yaris to name a few.

That’s all for now on this update.

Last edited by gavsadler; 10-13-2022 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #68
Wwzago
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavsadler View Post
Hello all,

I've been reading up on this forum for years off-and-on, but now it's time to introduce myself and my new ride.

I'm Gav, based in sunny South Africa. I'm a long-time BMW enthusiast, and have a mini-fleet going on at the moment

I've got a 2007 E87 130i M-Sport, with some subtle additions added to it. It's been a brilliant car for me and love it to bits.

Then for my Mrs, we have a 2011 F25 X3 35i M-Sport, also a great car, doing the family duties on a daily basis, but if I'm alone in the car, it's not shy to entertain dynamically.

Then more recently, I acquired a 2011 E90 (LCI) M3 Sedan M-DCT, Alpine White, 104000kms, and just about fully loaded with extras. It also has some gloss black bits on the outside, and a full Akrapovic Evolution exhaust fitted.

Here's a pic the day I took delivery:

I'll be updating this thread going forward of my experiences with the car.

Also looking forward to making new connections and friends on this forum.

In recent weeks, I've been quite active in the classifieds, and have purchased a few items from good people.

Sadly though, I have also been scammed by one forum user, who goes by the name of "Rav22". I'm not sure if there is a seperate forum to report scam artists?

Anyways, as they say: Karma is a B!tch, so yes I am disappointed it happened, but I will move on.

Cheers for now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavsadler View Post
Hello all,

I've been reading up on this forum for years off-and-on, but now it's time to introduce myself and my new ride.

I'm Gav, based in sunny South Africa. I'm a long-time BMW enthusiast, and have a mini-fleet going on at the moment

I've got a 2007 E87 130i M-Sport, with some subtle additions added to it. It's been a brilliant car for me and love it to bits.

Then for my Mrs, we have a 2011 F25 X3 35i M-Sport, also a great car, doing the family duties on a daily basis, but if I'm alone in the car, it's not shy to entertain dynamically.

Then more recently, I acquired a 2011 E90 (LCI) M3 Sedan M-DCT, Alpine White, 104000kms, and just about fully loaded with extras. It also has some gloss black bits on the outside, and a full Akrapovic Evolution exhaust fitted.

Here's a pic the day I took delivery:

[IMG]http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/uploads...9685388915.jpg[/IMG]

I'll be updating this thread going forward of my experiences with the car.

Also looking forward to making new connections and friends on this forum.

In recent weeks, I've been quite active in the classifieds, and have purchased a few items from good people.

Sadly though, I have also been scammed by one forum user, who goes by the name of "Rav22". I'm not sure if there is a seperate forum to report scam artists?

Anyways, as they say: Karma is a B!tch, so yes I am disappointed it happened, but I will move on.

Cheers for now...
Love the color
Appreciate 0