BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #1
Winnn
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93

Exclamation E93 M3 - Vent Flaps Issues

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a BMW M3 E93. It's 2009/01 (See quote appendix for mdecoder specs).

Since I bought the car the front vents are not blowing air through.
I found various forum posts with the same issue and tried to diagnose it, but without any luck. Since no two issues are the same, I thought that I could ask you all for your thoughts.

I'll try to structure my post a bit, for convenience:

ISSUE SUMMARY
  • Front vents are not blowing air; back vents work well;
  • There is pressure in the cooling system but no cold air coming through;
  • I can hear the fan;
  • I cannot hear the flaps/valves opening;
  • I tried various settings (both manual and auto) without any luck;
    i.e. nothing happens if I press the "Snowflake", "Max", or zone buttons
  • I eventually put a computer on the car and I got the following error codes:
  • IHKA - 8 DTCs
  • 009C48 - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), left mixing flap motor;
  • 009C49 - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), right mixing flap motor;
  • 009C4A - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), fresh air/recirculated air flap motor;
  • 009C4B - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), defrosting flap motor;
  • 009C4C - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), footwell flap motor;
  • 009C62 - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), evaporator temperature sensor;
  • 009C5F - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), ventilation temperature sensor;
  • 009C56 - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), footwell temperature sensor
  • DME - 2 DTCs
  • 00CDA9 - Message (A/C request) error, received DME, transmitter IHKA (Absent)
  • 00279D - Digital Motor Electronics (DME), power management closed-circuit current violation (Absent)
I attach the full diagnosis as a file.

Further to the above and with various help from the forum and other sources, I then tried to:
  • Acquired a K + DCAN cable and installed BMW Standard Tools from Bimmergeeks (particularly for INPA And NCSExpert)
  • Access the air conditioning unit, checked details and finally verified flaps position:

It is also worth noting that I received a "Versions do not match. Malfunction possible! when accessing the IHKA
  • Further to the above I tried to default code the IHKA unit using NCSExpert. Coding was successful but no luck in making the flaps move.
  • I tried to test all flaps using advice on the forum, wait 1 minute for each flap to operate but no buttons seem to make them move. Pressing any buttons does not change anything. The blower motor speed increases, the back defrost works well; but other buttons do not change anything.

I am attaching a few other INPA screen captures with information on the IHKA unit.

Outstanding troubleshooting suggestions
More of a personal note but in case anyone wants to check in the future:[*] Someone elsewhere suggested that I change the final stage resistor;[*] Take out AC unit and verify pin connectors;[*] Find diagram and verify cables, LIN BUS.

Will update with more info once attempted.

Quote:
Prod. Date 2009-01-16
Type M3
Series E93 (M Series)
Body Type Convertible
Steering Left Hand Drive
Engine S65
Drive rwd
Colour Mondstein metallic
Upholstery Leather "Novillo"/black

Comfort And Interior Equipment
S423 Floor Mats Velours
S428 Warning Triangle And First Aid Kit
S431 Interior Mirror With Automatic-Dip
S441 Smoker Package
S459 Seat Adjustment, Electric, With Memory
S470 Isofix-System
S490 Adjustment, Seat-Backrest Width
S494 Seat Heating Driver/Passenger
S4AE Armrest Front, Retractable
S4MY Int.Trim,Leather,Carbon Struct.,Black

Multimedia
S609 Navigation System Professional
S612 BMW Assist
S615 Extended BMW Online Information
S616 BMW Online
S620 Voice Control
S633 Preparation, Mobile Phone, Business
S677 HiFi System Professional DSP
S694 Provisions For BMW 6 CD Changer
S698 Area-Code 2 For DVD
S6AA BMW TeleServices
S6AB Control, Teleservices
S6FL USB/Audio Interface
S6NF Music Interface For Smartphone

Driver Assistance And Lightning
S502 Headlight Cleaning System
S508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
S521 Rain Sensor
S522 Xenon Light
S534 Automatic Air Conditioning
S540 Cruise Control
S563 Light Package
S5AC High-Beam Assistant

Wheels And Drive
S223 Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
S2MD M Drive
S2MK M Twin-Clutch Transm. With Drivelogic
S2MT BMW LA Wheel, M Double Spoke 220
S2PA Locking Wheel Bolt

Environment And Safety
S302 Alarm System
S313 Fold-In Outside Mirror
S812 National Version England / Ireland
S850 Dummy-SALAPA
S853 Language Version, English
S863 Dealer List Europe
S877 Omission Of Non-Combined Operation
S880 On-Board Literature, English
S8S2 Coding, Alarm Signal
S8S3 Automatic Locking During Starting
S8SC Telematics Access Request,Country-Spec.
S8SM Car Ident. Number Visible From Outside
S8SP Control Unit COP

Individual Equipment
S760 High Gloss Shadow Line

Other Equipment
S1CA Selection Of COP-Relevant Vehicles
S1CB CO2 Equipment
S1CD Brake Energy Regeneration
SA090 90 Ah AGM Battery
Attached Images

Last edited by Winnn; 11-26-2022 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot Attachments
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2022, 02:55 AM   #2
Winnn
Rep

gbalthrop - George, I must first say a huge thank you for all your work on this forum and for responding to my DM surrounding this issue. I am very grateful. If you ever find yourself in the UK, please, do shout out so I can buy you a few drinks!!

This is my post with all details about the issue and troubleshooting.

Studying your other work, I believe that this might either be a LIN BUS wiring issue, or fault flap motors. Not entirely sure what steps I could take next.
I was thinking to take the climate control module out and verify the connectors behind it. What do you think?

Last edited by Winnn; 11-26-2022 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 01:18 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTridenTs View Post
... M3 E93... 2009/01... Since I bought the car the front vents are not blowing air through...[*]Front vents are not blowing air; back vents work well;[*]There is pressure in the cooling system but no cold air coming through;[*]I can hear the fan;[*]I cannot hear the flaps/valves opening;[*]I tried various settings (both manual and auto) without any luck;
i.e. nothing happens if I press the "Snowflake", "Max", or zone buttons[*]I eventually put a computer on the car and I got the following error codes:
[ALL 8 Flap Motor Codes]...[*]009C62 - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), evaporator temperature sensor;[*]009C5F - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), ventilation temperature sensor;[*]009C56 - IHKA (Integrated Automatic Heating and A/C System), footwell temperature sensor[*]DME - 2 DTCs[*]00CDA9 - Message (A/C request) error, received DME, transmitter IHKA (Absent) [CAN BUS, IHKA to DME?][*]00279D - Digital Motor Electronics (DME), power management closed-circuit current violation (Absent)...
See ISTA ScreenPrints attached to NEXT Post. HIGH Probability that Connector X01198 on rear of A11 IHKA Module (Climate Control Panel) is loose/ disconnected. ScreenPrints include Wiring Diagram (Heating & Air Conditioning Functions), X01198 Location, and X01198 Connector View (Latch and Pin#s).

That Connector includes:
1) LIN BUS: Yellow wire at X01198/1 (Pin #1 of connector X01198);
2) Ventilation Temp Sensor: Green wire at X01198/7;
3) Footwell Temp Sensor: White wire at X01198/5;
4) Evaporator Temp Sensor: Green/White wire at X01198/4;
You have Fault Codes for ALL of those items.

ALSO, that connector supplies power to Flap Motors via Red wire at X01198/3 and Ground via Brown wire at X01198/2.

The K-CAN BUS connection to IHKA Module is via a DIFFERENT Connector, X608, which is the OTHER 12-pin connector on rear of IHKA Module, with similar latch. Check BOTH 12-pin connectors after removing IHKA Module. If you need ISTA removal procedure, please advise.

I have never removed the Module or seen the Connectors. There have been SEVERAL posts on the Forums by folks who had issues with the LATCH on those connectors.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 01:23 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints, as identified in prior post related to 1/2009 build M3 IHKA Module.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
askme80.50
      11-27-2022, 04:23 AM   #5
Winnn
Rep

The best! Thank you George. Will troubleshoot further today and revert.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 06:46 AM   #6
Winnn
Rep

gbalthrop Issue resolved. I took out the climate control unit and although everything looked like it was seated correctly, for some reason it was not. I reseated all pins and now all flaps are operational. Tested everything again with INPA to make sure that they all work, with no further errors.

Very grateful for your content, thank you for your help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Winnn; 11-27-2022 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 3
NiBe451.50
brettcp348.00
askme80.50
      11-27-2022, 04:47 PM   #7
linuszz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / Porsche 996

Winnn Congrats on the new car! Like you I am a recent owner of a 2008 E90 M3.

gbalthrop THANK YOU! I am simply amazed and thankful for all the insight you share. I’ve read many of your posts as I’ve been researching this issue.

My problem describes pretty much identically to this post. IHKA buttons all light up, fan audibly changes speeds but no air coming out of any front vents. Rear blows strongly but no real heat or cool from rear. No audible noise of flaps working. I did change the final stage resistor but no luck. From George’s earlier guidance I installed INPA (I’m very much a novice) but I did fine IHKA errors 9c56, 9c5f, 9c62, 9c48, 9c49, 9c4a, 9c4b, 9c4c (Basically same as Winnn reports here). Also I get the same flap position printout of all listing !255. So basically identical.

note, I did recently have the head unit/radio, IHKA unit, and others, pulled out as I swapped the screen for a touch screen (carplay, rear camera, etc). Troubleshooting this, I had them out numerous times. I actually just today pulled all out again to re-check, re-seat connections. Still no luck.

Questions:
What do you mean by ‘reseat pins’. I’m googling that now lol. Any more detail on exactly what you did? Did you actually take the plug apart? Test with a multimeter?

Any way to identify connector X01198? There are two similar connectors on this IHKA unit. One dark, one light. I guess I’ll check both.

There is also a socket for a 3rd plug. Looks like a ribbon plug. Today I pulled a lot apart, looking for this cable thinking I missed it on the re-install but no luck. Looking back at my original install pics and other posts I’m now convinced that mine never used this but curious if yours does have 2 or 3 connections to IHKA unit.

Thanks again for any help!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
linuszz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got it! Of those 2 connectors to IHKA, one of them was simply not seated correctly. It was like one side of the locking mechanism grabbed but the other side must have missed. Upon closer inspection it was a bit lopsided. Once I reseated it, all is working!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuszz View Post
Winnn Congrats on the new car! Like you I am a recent owner of a 2008 E90 M3.

gbalthrop THANK YOU! I am simply amazed and thankful for all the insight you share. I’ve read many of your posts as I’ve been researching this issue.

My problem describes pretty much identically to this post. IHKA buttons all light up, fan audibly changes speeds but no air coming out of any front vents. Rear blows strongly but no real heat or cool from rear. No audible noise of flaps working. I did change the final stage resistor but no luck. From George’s earlier guidance I installed INPA (I’m very much a novice) but I did fine IHKA errors 9c56, 9c5f, 9c62, 9c48, 9c49, 9c4a, 9c4b, 9c4c (Basically same as Winnn reports here). Also I get the same flap position printout of all listing !255. So basically identical.

note, I did recently have the head unit/radio, IHKA unit, and others, pulled out as I swapped the screen for a touch screen (carplay, rear camera, etc). Troubleshooting this, I had them out numerous times. I actually just today pulled all out again to re-check, re-seat connections. Still no luck.

Questions:
What do you mean by ‘reseat pins’. I’m googling that now lol. Any more detail on exactly what you did? Did you actually take the plug apart? Test with a multimeter?

Any way to identify connector X01198? There are two similar connectors on this IHKA unit. One dark, one light. I guess I’ll check both.

There is also a socket for a 3rd plug. Looks like a ribbon plug. Today I pulled a lot apart, looking for this cable thinking I missed it on the re-install but no luck. Looking back at my original install pics and other posts I’m now convinced that mine never used this but curious if yours does have 2 or 3 connections to IHKA unit.

Thanks again for any help!
Wow, E90, one of the rarer ones! Congratulations.
This does sound exactly like what I experienced and the fact that you recently pulled these out makes me pretty confident that it is a similar issue.

To directly answer your questions:
  • By "reseat pins" I meant to take the two cables out that you'll find behind the AC unit and plug them back in.
  • Not entirely sure which of the two is the X01198 but definitely worth checking both.
  • The ribbon cable I believe is connected to the "heated seats" and "parking sensor" buttons as far as I could tell and should have no bearing on the AC.

I will try to outline step by step what I've done, although, by the sounds of it, you already tried it all:
Will provide a bit more detail than you might actually need for anyone else who will come across this in the future.
  1. Remove dashboard trim with a plastic panel remover tool. You don't need all, just the sharp one is sufficient. Follow this video for instructions on how to remove it. You will see, it's very simple, however, the buttons unit did not come out for me, so I struggled a bit to disconnect the two cables for the emergency lights and door lock. Be wary of the cable for the start button too. Very important to follow the video and not to pull from under the actual vents or you might break them. If you're patient, it will eventually come out. Note of caution, this comes out with the vents.
  2. Once the trim is removed, you can now use the same plastic tool to push out the climate unit.
  3. Behind the unit you will find three cables, the video also shows how to disconnect them. Just take them out and verify your pins, and connectors, and check for any sign of "browning" or other issues.
  4. Plug all cables back into the slots. I applied a little more pressure for all, but just enough not to break anything. Ensured that the clips catch correctly. (you will see what I mean once you open it)
  5. Put the climate unit back into the dash.
  6. My model has CIC, so I then turned on the vents from the unit, while the engine was still off. (Since the start button was disconnected).
  7. At this point, you should hear the flaps moving.
  8. Place the panel back (don't forget any of the other cables) and put the dash panel back.

This was it for me. I then tested the unit and everything worked well.
To make sure that everything was functional, I connected the K + DCAN cable to OBD port, booted INPA, and tested all flaps by applying the various buttons.

One other thing that I did as a previous troubleshooting point (before all above) was to try and default code the unit using NCSExpert.
If like me, you're not familiar with it, this is just another application part of the BMW Standard Tools suite.

Someone else on a different forum was very helpful and provided me with a step-by-step guide on how to do so:

Quote:
Open NCS expert and load up your expert profile,
Select F1/vin/zcs/fa
Select F3/zcs/fa f.ecu
Select E89 chassis
Select CAS. This will load up your cars VO.
Select F6/back
Select F4/process ecu
Select IHK in module list
Select F2/change job
Select SG_CODIEREN
Select execute job and wait until it says "coding ended"
I am also attaching a few, potentially not-very helpful pictures of what you will see once you take the dash piece and climate unit out.
These are just pics that I took of all cables to look at later in case I missed anything while working on it.

Let us know how it goes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Winnn; 11-27-2022 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnn
Rep

Quote:
Got it! Of those 2 connectors to IHKA, one of them was simply not seated correctly. It was like one side of the locking mechanism grabbed but the other side must have missed. Upon closer inspection it was a bit lopsided. Once I reseated it, all is working!
Awesome stuff! By the time I responded you already had it!
Might be useful for someone else, who knows!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 06:24 PM   #11
linuszz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks again. Wow, load off my mind as it’s getting cold here in NY.

Yes, the ribbon cable likely for heated seats which I don’t have, (so far my one regret). BTW, the carplay swap is a really nice upgrade (I had CCC). Highly recommend it. The reverse camera, I’d take it or leave it but it was only an extra $20.

Now back to my other project…. (LS swap into a boxster (endurance race car)).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #12
Winnn
Rep

Yeah, I was looking into fitting an apple car play unit, but it seems like a proper job that I'm not ready to do myself. Out of curiosity, which unit did you install?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 07:38 PM   #13
linuszz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnn View Post
Yeah, I was looking into fitting an apple car play unit, but it seems like a proper job that I'm not ready to do myself. Out of curiosity, which unit did you install?
I went with the andream unit. Pretty happy with it so far. Feel free to reach out if you decide to give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 02:53 AM   #14
Winnn
Rep

Quote:
I went with the andream unit. Pretty happy with it so far. Feel free to reach out if you decide to give it a try.
Thanks a lot, will certainly do!

I was looking at these before I got the car and I think that they are fantastic, especially for a better navigation. I however went for a tune2air adapter for bluetooth music, so I think I won’t change this just yet. But mainly due to other costs like bearings, just got a new set of 4 tires and others
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 01:42 PM   #15
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Winnn thanks for throwing this thread together. I had the EXACT same issue after doing a bit of cable management back there (crap alibaba CarPlay unit sound is not coming in through all channels when volume is turned up a lot but that’s a separate issue).

My culprit is the A/C module connector in the picture. After plugging and unplugging I noticed that there was a bunch of resistance putting it into the seat but it would still latch up. I unplugged and tried again and it almost fell right in to the seat. Connected battery and voila I have flap activation again.

I thought the carplay aftermarket bundle tied into the A/C cables somewhere and messing with my control unit but it seems like the simple solution this time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #16
askme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Vert E93

After reading this thread, I feel both impressed, intimidated at others knowledge and a deep desire to reseat my cables.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 04:12 PM   #17
Hartlec1986
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnn View Post
Awesome stuff! By the time I responded you already had it!
Might be useful for someone else, who knows!
Hi, I’ve just signed up having read your detailed problem definition and solution.

I’m hoping you can help or guide me… I’m having the same issue as described above however I’ve not been behind the head unit or climate control unit so I doubt my connections have become loose or unseated (although I will check), is it possible that the flaps have failed, assume they are driven by a motor?

Thanks
Appreciate 0