BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
M3Bliss
Just Live'n the Dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3

1200 Mile Impressions

Ok, getting ready to take her in for the 1200 mile service so some initial impressions:

DCT
What I like: The auto mode runs very smoothly and is mindless for running in stop and go traffic or when zoning out. Shifts are fast and crisp in manual mode though I have been observing the break in parameters. So far it has run flawlessly and I am very happy I chose this option.
What I don’t like: I wish the seventh cog was a little taller for highway driving but on the other hand it is responsive to pass so maybe a wash here but with the paddle shifters it is a breeze to downshift so why not just go for the mpgs? I really wish you could downshift multiple gears at once, like from 6th to 4th. When in manual I hate shifting sequentially down all those gears and I know it will do it by itself but damn it when I am in manual I want to shift. I also am not happy with the lazy throttle response when starting out, seems like a lot of clutch slippage (the response of the throttle itself in sport + is fine, it is the slow gear engagement that I don’t like). I know that at some point this thing is going to throw an error code and I am prepared for that but so far so good.

Tech Pkg.
There isn’t anything about this I don’t like, oh there are a couple of old voice commands that don’t work on this new interface (that saved a step like “call xxxxx” and it would directly call that person) but the new idrive is greatly simplified and beautifully integrated with all of the cars systems. After a brutal winter the local roads are really pock-marked so the comfort setting on EDC is welcome. My comfort access is working properly (so far) though using it takes a little getting used to. Being able to tailor the car’s settings via the “M” button is so convenient and eliminates a lot of needless fidgeting.

Overall I am loving this car. It is a brilliant combination of performance and luxury. I am coming from a Cayman S and while the M is not as hard core it is much more refined while still able to delivering in your face thrust and sports car handling. It is also sweet that my #1 lady loves it and that always makes life a little easier. This car makes me wonder why I ever left BMW in the first place.
      03-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Wonderful review!

Looking forward to reading about your reactions & awe after your 1200 mile service.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bliss View Post
Ok, getting ready to take her in for the 1200 mile service so some initial impressions:

DCT
What I like: The auto mode runs very smoothly and is mindless for running in stop and go traffic or when zoning out. Shifts are fast and crisp in manual mode though I have been observing the break in parameters. So far it has run flawlessly and I am very happy I chose this option.
What I don’t like: I wish the seventh cog was a little taller for highway driving but on the other hand it is responsive to pass so maybe a wash here but with the paddle shifters it is a breeze to downshift so why not just go for the mpgs? I really wish you could downshift multiple gears at once, like from 6th to 4th. When in manual I hate shifting sequentially down all those gears and I know it will do it by itself but damn it when I am in manual I want to shift. I also am not happy with the lazy throttle response when starting out, seems like a lot of clutch slippage (the response of the throttle itself in sport + is fine, it is the slow gear engagement that I don’t like). I know that at some point this thing is going to throw an error code and I am prepared for that but so far so good.
My 10 Coupe w/DCT is the same way on the first startup of the day. After initial start in the garage, after about a minute or so when I place the trans in reverse, the car starts to back up and then it slips into neutral, and the CEL comes on saying the trans has malfunctioned. This first happened when the car was 2 months old, and then after a month it did it again yesterday.

The first (last) time it happened, I had the dealer look at it. They scanned it and said it threw a "Insignificant Code". They cleared it and said it shouldn't happen again. But it did. So I don't know if I should go back to the dealer again. Some folks have said that they had a problem like this and after it threw the code a few times, then the trans will stay locked in park and then the car has to be towed to the dealer. Supposedly the DCT shifter in the car is faulty. I thought hopefully this condition only occurred on the early 08 cars.
Who know?

Anyway, hopefully yours will be code free.
Appreciate 0