BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

12-23-2023, 07:22 PM   #1
Winter.M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Throttle actuator issue?

I know about TA's and actually bought some pre-emptively just in case they broke. This morning I went to target, all normal, got back in my car and it instantly went into limp mode. Engine light and DSC light, which I thought was kind of weird. Anyways, drove it to my friends shop, my engine and all was working fine, although my idle was at 1k instead of 7-800. Got a code reader and there it was, throttle actuator bank 2. Figured I'd have to do it, my cars almost at 90k miles... but, we reset the code and it hasn't thrown any codes from the drive to the shop back to my house.

Should I keep driving it? I am going to do the actuators soon of course, it's just cold and I don't own a garage so it's a little annoying. But, I've never seen something like this where resetting the codes just make the TA work again.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 04:29 AM   #2
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

That’s normal behavior in some TA failures. Had similar symptoms when one of my TAs failed, after resetting the error would go away for a few days sometimes even a week, slowly it will return more frequently. Just change it out soon as you can.
Appreciate 3
      12-25-2023, 12:39 PM   #3
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter.M3 View Post
I know about TA's and actually bought some pre-emptively just in case they broke. This morning I went to target, all normal, got back in my car and it instantly went into limp mode. Engine light and DSC light, which I thought was kind of weird. Anyways, drove it to my friends shop, my engine and all was working fine, although my idle was at 1k instead of 7-800. Got a code reader and there it was, throttle actuator bank 2. Figured I'd have to do it, my cars almost at 90k miles... but, we reset the code and it hasn't thrown any codes from the drive to the shop back to my house.

Should I keep driving it? I am going to do the actuators soon of course, it's just cold and I don't own a garage so it's a little annoying. But, I've never seen something like this where resetting the codes just make the TA work again.
Completely normal, hate to say it but you got to suck it up and do both (becasue if one is going the other is sure to follow) or be like me and pay someone to do it because though I can work magic behind the wheel, I can’t do much other than change the oil (though I’m a sick detailer).

“I don’t know much about cars, they told me to get in and I could drive”.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 2
      12-25-2023, 05:36 PM   #4
ajte9x
Registered
Rep
Drives: n/a

This is what happened with mine at 80,000 miles. Limp mode was intermittent at first but after a few more times driving, it just stuck. Replaced actuators and was good to go.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2023, 01:10 AM   #5
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Keep driving if its cold to do it now. I commuted to work etc for good number of weeks before I decided where to order TAs etc (resulting in limp mode every second day). May get worse as the gears worn more but other then limp mode its harmless really.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2024, 06:34 PM   #6
Winter.M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
huh weird, I've never heard of this being normal. I had already purchased TA's just in case they went and ended up just replacing them... not too hard of a job luckily
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:04 PM   #7
MPowerZ_32
Private
Rep
Drives: E46M3, E90M3

90K is already pretty good amount of miles out of the original TAs. One of mine gave out at 70k miles and I went ahead and replaced both. In my experience, with the defective TA the errors will come back more of more frequently as you keep driving the car/clearing the codes. In the end you will have to replace them. These issues won't automatically resolve themselves. They only get worse/more frequent over time. Why put up with the trouble by delaying?
Appreciate 1