BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

10-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235

paint issue on jerez black

Anyone know what these tiny dots could be? There isn't anything sticking on the paint (you can't feel it if you pass you hand over it), its as if its etched into the clear coat. The windshield has the same pattern of tiny dots as well.. the top of hood and all the roof, even towards the rear. Not sure if its just sandblasted from road dirt or what else? But then if it was sand, I assume the front of the car would have it also and side mirrors, but they are fine... So my guess is its something that fell from above (maybe tree sap?)

Anyone know what to try to remove it? Compound did nothing. This is the only photo I could get that shows the dots, everything else its almost impossible to detect with the light reflecting, in full sunlight outdoors you don't even notice it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, 2018 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235boy View Post
Anyone know what these tiny dots could be? There isn't anything sticking on the paint (you can't feel it if you pass you hand over it), its as if its etched into the clear coat. The windshield has the same pattern of tiny dots as well.. the top of hood and all the roof, even towards the rear. Not sure if its just sandblasted from road dirt or what else? But then if it was sand, I assume the front of the car would have it also and side mirrors, but they are fine... So my guess is its something that fell from above (maybe tree sap?)

Anyone know what to try to remove it? Compound did nothing. This is the only photo I could get that shows the dots, everything else its almost impossible to detect with the light reflecting, in full sunlight outdoors you don't even notice it.
I would think that those are water stains.
Water left on the car to dry.

I had it one time when I parked at a hotel
The irrigation came on in the morning and covered my car.
During the day it was drying off and the car was full of those spots.
Since then I try and park far away from irrigation systems.

It's a pain to get out.
I would think you need a polisher and a light or medium pad.
But there are guys here that know exactly on how to get them out without too much damage to the paint.

The sooner they are removed the better. This stuff is eating Into the clear coat I believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Where abouts in Canada are you? If you’re in TO, you can borrow my orbital polisher and pads...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Where abouts in Canada are you? If you’re in TO, you can borrow my orbital polisher and pads...
I'm in MTL, thanks for the offer though. I asked some detailers around my area and they said it needs to be wet sanded down as compounding did nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
I would think that those are water stains.
Water left on the car to dry.

I had it one time when I parked at a hotel
The irrigation came on in the morning and covered my car.
During the day it was drying off and the car was full of those spots.
Since then I try and park far away from irrigation systems.

It's a pain to get out.
I would think you need a polisher and a light or medium pad.
But there are guys here that know exactly on how to get them out without too much damage to the paint.

The sooner they are removed the better. This stuff is eating Into the clear coat I believe.
Ya I'm pretty sure the damage is already done from previous owner, it ate into the clear. It's very hard to spot unless its perfect lighting so it doesn't bother me THAT much, but still. I spoke to a view detailers and they've all seen this on multiple bmw models.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I had a similar issue on my Jerez Black. I had my doubts, but the recommended method in this video removed it from my car:

E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
I had a similar issue on my Jerez Black. I had my doubts, but the recommended method in this video removed it from my car:

The wheel acid? Ah cool I'll give that a try. It seems the compound method did the same results, so not sure if it'll help in my case but worth a shot. thanks
Appreciate 0