BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
Question to you 7k interval oil changers

So, let me see if I can get this down on print what my actual scenario is here. I bought my 08 locally and according to BMW's records I was uncomfortable with how long the car had gone without an oil change, it was time, not miles. I don't remember the exact length of time it went, I just remembered thinking.. "I should go ahead and just change the oil"

so, that was 2 months ago... now I am getting a service overdue for an oil change because apparently I passed the cars time of "05/2014", not miles but the oil is only 2 months/less than 2k miles old. The mileage is counting down for the next oil change still and it is at 6800 miles.

My question is, do I just put up with the warnings or do I reset it? Nothing was reset on my last oil change by BMW 2 months ago since it was a low mileage oil change. I hate the idea of the car yelling at me every morning to change the oil but my concern is what other services am I speeding up by resetting the oil change service.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
take it back to the dealership and have them reset it
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
tony093
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Reset it yourself
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay, you say reset it but isn't that going to push forward all other services? Spark plugs and whatnot?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN View Post
Okay, you say reset it but isn't that going to push forward all other services? Spark plugs and whatnot?

Spark plugs are not listed in the iDrive CBS.

I do 7500 mile changes and do not reset the counter. This way I can adhere to the BMW schedule (I have the EVP warranty, which is very strict about maintenance requirements) without having to argue about how I changed it myself.

Don't forget that the oil life meter (OLM) is intelligent and adjusts the interval based on ambient temps, driving style, moisture/contamination in the oil, etc.
      06-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Yes, if under warranty let dealer reset and just change the oil yourself in the middle @ 7.5k miles and it will be correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, I let the dealer do a "Low mileage" or "yearly" oil change 3 months ago... The car was not driven very much by the previous owner, it had been over a year since last oil change but only about 3k miles so I had BMW change the oil shortly after I bought it. The car reads oil service due at 5/14 (which is now overdue) but the mileage countdown says 6800 miles to go and dealer says that I should just put up with the warning light until the 6800 counts down? Doesn't sound right....?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN View Post
Well, I let the dealer do a "Low mileage" or "yearly" oil change 3 months ago... The car was not driven very much by the previous owner, it had been over a year since last oil change but only about 3k miles so I had BMW change the oil shortly after I bought it. The car reads oil service due at 5/14 (which is now overdue) but the mileage countdown says 6800 miles to go and dealer says that I should just put up with the warning light until the 6800 counts down? Doesn't sound right....?
Dealer is wrong (typical). If the car says get it changed, you get it changed. The interval is variable based on the factors I listed above.

It's mileage OR time, whichever comes first. For some people, they will easily 15k in a year. Others will take 2+ years to do it, so they'll get the oil changed in under 15k.

So yes, you need to take it in for the change.
      06-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Dealer is wrong (typical). If the car says get it changed, you get it changed. The interval is variable based on the factors I listed above.

It's mileage OR time, whichever comes first. For some people, they will easily 15k in a year. Others will take 2+ years to do it, so they'll get the oil changed in under 15k.

So yes, you need to take it in for the change.

So you are saying that in 3 months time and about 2k miles, I have burned through the life of my oil change? I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that, the car has hardly been to redline during that time, garage kept, and never seen a dirt road. I highly doubt the current oil is old. The car is just telling me that it is time for a yearly oil change which I happened to do 3 months earlier.

I do know a little bit how those sensors work and they do not detect when you change the oil early. They do take into account your mileage, driving habits, etc... but they DO NOT constantly monitor the state of your oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think there may be some confusion on my scenario, let me restate with some rough numbers here:
  • bought the car with 19k miles
  • noticed it had been 10-12 months without an oil change but only about 2-3k miles since last oil change
  • decided to have local BMW dealer do a "low mileage" oil change about 3 months ago, nothing was reset - just an oil change
  • car's counter still read oil due 5/14 after oil change 3 months ago
  • car now thinks I am overdue for oil change
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Regardless of how much time is left on the oil minder, everytime you change the oil have them reset it. That way you don't get the overdue message etc.

I would just reset it now and change the oil when you want (based on miles/time etc). Then when you change your oil the next time make sure it's reset again.

It's super easy to reset it, just hold down the button you push to reset your tripometer, hold it and use the stalk switch to cycle to the oil picture, then hold down the bc button to reset it. Tada
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraXTR View Post
Regardless of how much time is left on the oil minder, everytime you change the oil have them reset it. That way you don't get the overdue message etc.

I would just reset it now and change the oil when you want (based on miles/time etc). Then when you change your oil the next time make sure it's reset again.

It's super easy to reset it, just hold down the button you push to reset your tripometer, hold it and use the stalk switch to cycle to the oil picture, then hold down the bc button to reset it. Tada
Thanks, I think that is what I am going to do... Any confirmation if this is going to speed up my spark plug interval?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraXTR View Post

Thanks, I think that is what I am going to do... Any confirmation if this is going to speed up my spark plug interval?
Nope, spark plug intervals are not monitored by the car. You are good to go
Appreciate 0