BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

08-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #45
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly335i View Post
Yes , the 7 is because of the 7 band EQ, And the system may have a new name, But it's the very same Quality system. Even though the Apple may be Green, It's Still A Apple.
Dude, stop the misinformation please... the "7" in Logic7 is not because of the 7-band EQ, it is because of the processing algorithm that can take a 2-channel stereo recording and play it as 5.1 or a 7.1 channel surround recording.

The Enhanced Premium Audio/Individual Audio uses a different surround processing algorithm, DIRAC.

What's going on here, Google search suddenly died????
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #46
F15-31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Dude, stop the misinformation please... the "7" in Logic7 is not because of the 7-band EQ, it is because of the processing algorithm that can take a 2-channel stereo recording and play it as 5.1 or a 7.1 channel surround recording.

The Enhanced Premium Audio/Individual Audio uses a different surround processing algorithm, DIRAC.

What's going on here, Google search suddenly died????
Im not try to mis lead anyone, My point is, I feel it's the very same Audio System, With a Added Center Channel. So they added more center channel's and tied them together. Or that the processing is of Digital Proportion for a Fuller Sound. Imo, they added nothing but A name change. And since when is Google the final word of Knowledge.
      08-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #47
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Im not try to mis lead anyone, My point is, I feel it's the very same Audio System, With a Added Center Channel. So they added more center channel's and tied them together. Or that the processing is of Digital Proportion for a Fuller Sound. Imo, they added nothing but A name change. And since when is Google the final word of Knowledge.
Feel all you want, the fact is that they are entirely different starting at the amp.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #48
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Yeah. It doesn't matter what you feel when it has been confirmed many times over and published by BMW that Logic 7 and Individual Audio is not the same system.
      08-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #49
Roby84m
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3 E92 ZCP

I have the premium sound system however I just realized that my right front speaker sounds as if it is broken when i listen to certain tones, however bass and treble are fine. I don't know how to explain it and this is kinda frustrating and it also does it when i am on the phone with someone using bluetooth connection. Should I take it to BMW? Then I have to explain them the situation and find a tone which makes that noise in the speaker. Other speakers are fine though. I think it makes that noise when there is mid sound. Hope they will understand my complaint.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #50
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2121 View Post
All very good info guys...i'm leaning towards not doing the upgrade then....
You should listen to it before making that decision. Remember, some users seem to love the premium system too.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #51
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
I think that very long thread used to be here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=premium+sound

Now, a dead link. That was one of the most most useful pieces of information ever posted here - I sure hope I saved a copy somewhere when I set mine up. It was perfect!

I've never seen a forum that crushed then entire thread that a banned member posted in. What's up with THAT?
Pencilgeek was/is not banned. His threads are deleted because he requested their deletions.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #52
F15-31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

http://www.harman.com/automotive/Doc...N_approved.pdf Like I said, It's the Logic7 With a few extra tweaks. But a Great System any way You look at it.
      08-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #53
F15-31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
I have the premium sound system however I just realized that my right front speaker sounds as if it is broken when i listen to certain tones, however bass and treble are fine. I don't know how to explain it and this is kinda frustrating and it also does it when i am on the phone with someone using bluetooth connection. Should I take it to BMW? Then I have to explain them the situation and find a tone which makes that noise in the speaker. Other speakers are fine though. I think it makes that noise when there is mid sound. Hope they will understand my complaint.
I've experianced this as well. And I beleive what your hearing is the DSP Switching from Analog to Digital or vice versa. The system does this depending on recording signal.
      08-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #54
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
http://www.harman.com/automotive/Doc...N_approved.pdf Like I said, It's the Logic7 With a few extra tweaks. But a Great System any way You look at it.
Are you for real? Did you even read that document?

Again, the Enhanced Premium Audio/Individual Audio in the US M3 uses Dirac, not Logic7...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dirac_Live.pdf (850.9 KB, 237 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #55
DiRTyDeLuX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3 ZCP ZCV ZP2

I sing while driving, so I don't need a radio.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #56
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just because both system use a form of DSP doesn't mean they are anything alike. DIRAC is a totally different system than Logic 7. You saying its Logic 7 with a few tweaks is the equivalent of saying an M3 is a 335 with a few tweaks.
      08-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #57
F15-31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you for real? Did you even read that document?

Again, the Enhanced Premium Audio/Individual Audio in the US M3 uses Dirac, not Logic7...
Did You? Read the paragragh that starts with The Logic7 Technology is the Basis for the Three D DSP Amp. My Stance all along has been the New System is based off of the Logic 7. This info is only for the 1 Series and 3 series. I know not of the 5/6 Series BMW, That you are referencing. DIRAC is a filtering system, An Electronic Cross/over, Designed to give a more Natrual Sound pattern by separating the signals. Just think of it as a Software Flash for the old Format or Platform.

Last edited by F15-31; 08-05-2010 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #58
F15-31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Just because both system use a form of DSP doesn't mean they are anything alike. DIRAC is a totally different system than Logic 7. You saying its Logic 7 with a few tweaks is the equivalent of saying an M3 is a 335 with a few tweaks.
No, Your saying this. Im saying it's the basis of the new system. DIRAC or not. All this means is that its a Digital Processor Built into the Amp, Similar to the Clean Sweep or the Rockford LC-7, A Digital cross/over if you Know car audio Slang.
      08-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #59
F15-31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
There's a Software update that might take care of this. I think your refering to the metalic hiss the speakers sometime give off. It could very well be the Fiber Optic connection wire, Or the Digital Cross over trying to filter the Signal from Digital to Analog.
      08-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #60
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Did You? Read the paragragh that starts with The Logic7 Technology is the Basis for the Three D DSP Amp. My Stance all along has been the New System is based off of the Logic 7. This info is only for the 1 Series and 3 series. I know not of the 5/6 Series BMW, That you are referencing. DIRAC is a filtering system, An Electronic Cross/over, Designed to give a more Natrual Sound pattern by separating the signals. Just think of it as a Software Flash for the old Format or Platform.
I am for real, you are not. You don't even know what the hell you are talking about. Your document does not even apply to the M3 Top HiFi system and still you are coming up with a messed up description of what you really want that system to be.

Keep posting to yourself, I'm out...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #61
F15-31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am for real, you are not. You don't even know what the hell you are talking about. Your document does not even apply to the M3 Top HiFi system and still you are coming up with a messed up description of what you really want that system to be.

Keep posting to yourself, I'm out...
It is said that if you lose your cool while debating, You lose.........

By the way, It's not my Doc, It's Harman Kardons......
      08-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #62
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, Your saying this. Im saying it's the basis of the new system. DIRAC or not. All this means is that its a Digital Processor Built into the Amp, Similar to the Clean Sweep or the Rockford LC-7, A Digital cross/over if you Know car audio Slang.
Actually the Logic 7 and DIRAC terminologies are patented algorithms not just random names for a DSP. I'm very familiar with car audio and Logic 7 and DIRAC or not just arbritrary names for a simple DSP. Similar to Dolby, they are patented processor algorithms.
      08-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #63
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
The Logic 7 sound system was renamed earlier this year to 'Harmann Kardon Surround Sound System', at least in Europe. This is exactly the system your document is referring to. This has nothing to do with the Premium sound system (or 'Individual High End', as it's called in Europe) which is a colaboration between BMW M, a German speaker supplier and DIRAC. I understand where the confusion is coming from since Harmann titles 'Premium surround sound systems' in the document you're citing, though. But, look at the power output stated in the very same document (420 watts for the M3 Coupe) and you see it's the Logic7, not the Premium Sound System (825 watts). Hope this helps clarifying this and avoiding further attacks.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #64
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
I set the EQ on my Premium system based on Pencilgeek's thread. I don't have a hard copy of the thread but the following should be very close to what he originally posted.

EQ Settings:
100 Hz: +1
200 Hz: +1
500 Hz: +4
1000 Hz: +5
2000 Hz: +8
5000 Hz: +5
10000 Hz: +5

Treble: 0
Bass: +3

Front/Rear: R-2 or 3

This was meant as a starting point from which folks could then tweak to taste. He used some pretty high-end audio analysis equipment when coming up with these numbers.

Personally, I like a little more low end thump (and the PS falls a bit short in that area, IMO). I've bumped the 100 Hz to +4 and the 200 Hz to +2. My bass setting is usually is at +4 to +5 and Treble is +1. Fader is neutral or R-1.

I also find myself liking the "fullness" of the audio without the "surround" function active in many instances... Play around a bit and you can get the system up to its potential
Great information!! I tuned in my system to these settings and it definitely makes a big improvement. The only thing I did differently though was add +2 for treble, only -1 for R fade, and surround on.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #65
ImStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL 04

For someone who listens to Classic Rock (Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd), Classical, or news channel on Sirius, is the stock system in the E92 M3 sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #66
masnmic
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yes. You can always add after market power later if needed.
Appreciate 0