BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-11-2023, 03:23 PM   #1
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Which color wire in the taillight harness is the power to the reverse lamp?

6mt scenario. Trying to install a back up camera on an e93 attaching it to my mr12v car play box. Have the tail light cover off and have unhooked the wiring harness from the tail light. Manual transmission cars have a wire that comes off the transmission into the footwell then back to the tail light to tell the white reverse lamps to turn on when you shift into R.

Which color is the wire that powers the back up light when I put the car in reverse? I want to connect to direct off the tail light wiring harness in order to tell mr12v that the car is in reverse and to activate the camera. Is it the yellow one? I intend to run the 12v power off the mr12v back to the camera as I have read about the low voltage issues. Photo below of the wiring harness. Appreciate anyone who has done it this way letting me know. All the wiring diagram websites have been taken down by BMW AG so older posts on this site have links to diagrams that no longer work.
1.pdf

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 02-11-2023 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 06:25 PM   #2
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Rather than tapping into the reverse light wire, have you tried setting the Mr12volt to use the CAN bus signal to detect when the car is in reverse? It does have that capability (assuming there isn't something different about 6mt vs DCT in how this works?).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

I was not aware it could do that. Mine has wires for both the backup signal and one that provides power to the camera which led me to believe I had to wire both. Saw this in the user guide.

When do i select “Reverse State” ?
Mr12volt detects car CAN bus with most of the car models in the market, however in some cases particularly in older generation cars, when a CANbuscan’t be detected, it is necessary to manually detect camera throughcar
reverse light signal.

So on an 08, it should pull from the Can bus so all I have to do is run power?

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 02-11-2023 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 07:04 AM   #4
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

The instructions also say that you dont need coding to get the mr12v to work but that was inaccurate. I have to figure out how to install the relay as the direct to head unit plug in for power is not making the camera work.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
I was not aware it could do that. Mine has wires for both the backup signal and one that provides power to the camera which led me to believe I had to wire both. Saw this in the user guide.

When do i select “Reverse State” ?
Mr12volt detects car CAN bus with most of the car models in the market, however in some cases particularly in older generation cars, when a CANbuscan’t be detected, it is necessary to manually detect camera throughcar
reverse light signal.

So on an 08, it should pull from the Can bus so all I have to do is run power?
In the Mr12Volt Settings, I have my "Reverse camera" set to "AfterMarket 360" and the "Reverse condition" set to "Gear Position", and it works when I put the car into reverse. Did not need to tap into any reverse wiring - it senses this from the CAN bus.

I have another BMW with a Kremersino v3 carplay unit as well and use the same settings (works the same as the Mr12Volt).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 12:41 PM   #6
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Rather than tapping into the reverse light wire, have you tried setting the Mr12volt to use the CAN bus signal to detect when the car is in reverse? It does have that capability (assuming there isn't something different about 6mt vs DCT in how this works?).
Found this, seems manuals dont work this way:
"Manual transmission back-up light signal is communicated by
reverse gear switch to FRM."

Any ideas? I got the camera to turn on when I tapped into the yellow tail light wire but it stays on all the time.

Appreciate 0