BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #1101
jame92r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusticm3 View Post
Hi,

Ok so I’ve just spent what feels like hours going through this thread and here’s where I’m at;

Audio quality is important to me and from what I’ve read the boxes have slightly improved the aux over time but it’s not perfect.

The Kremersino unit which seems to be talked about the most on here looks the better option as you can output the sound via Bluetooth through the cars combo box. The draw back is this unit is like twice the price of the others.

The cheapest option I can see is the Andream unit at £180 on AliExpress. I messaged them and they would only confirm that the unit outputs sound via aux.

Now here’s the thing, despite what they say, my car came from factory with combo box and music via Bluetooth. So will that allow me to still have the option of playing music from they cheaper CarPlay box from Andream via Bluetooth or not?

Also someone mentioned they were also from the uk and had used a kremersino Uk distributor. I can’t seem to find one, could you please link me?

Here’s links to the two units im considering for a 2011 CIC E92 please let me know if I should be considering something else;

Kremersino;

£384.47 | Mirror Wireless Apple CarPlay AndroidAuto Retrofit for BMW 1/2/3/4 Series for BMW Retrofit E87 E88 E90 E91 F22 F23 F30 F31 F45
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dS6ODZE

Andream;

£221.81 50% Off | Wireless Apple CarPlay Android Auto interface adapter BOX For BMW Series 1 2 3 4 5 7 mini X1 X3 X4 X5 X6 X7 CIC/NBT System
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BfAXr0O0
The Kremersino unit that works via CIC COMBOX Bluetooth audio is this one (its the one I have, and I just pulled up this link from my order history):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...31824c4dOr0g2l
So this is the best one seems like ? I have combox Bluetooth

Also when you start car does it automatically bring up car play?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #1102
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame92r View Post

(Kremersino unit)

It should auto-connect and bring up carplay.. mine often does not, but from what I've read this even occurs with the BMW factory carplay in newer cars.. apparently there can be issues auto-connecting to carplay if you're already connected to your home wifi.

Also keep in mind that siri/messages do not currently work with the factory mic. They claim to be working on that with a software update. Telephone calls do switch over to the factory mic (this was resolved with a software update from a couple of months ago), but siri/messages still do not trigger the factory mic as of today. Michael from Kremersino told me there would be a new software update a couple of weeks ago, but it still doesn't appear to be released yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #1103
jame92r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Quote:

(Kremersino unit)

It should auto-connect and bring up carplay.. mine often does not, but from what I've read this even occurs with the BMW factory carplay in newer cars.. apparently there can be issues auto-connecting to carplay if you're already connected to your home wifi.

Also keep in mind that siri/messages do not currently work with the factory mic. They claim to be working on that with a software update. Telephone calls do switch over to the factory mic (this was resolved with a software update from a couple of months ago), but siri/messages still do not trigger the factory mic as of today. Michael from Kremersino told me there would be a new software update a couple of weeks ago, but it still doesn't appear to be released yet.
Thanks Brett! Appreciate the response. I think I'm gonna go with that one. How is maps and Waze ? Works out of Bluetooth just fine for navigation
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #1104
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Brett! Appreciate the response. I think I'm gonna go with that one. How is maps and Waze ? Works out of Bluetooth just fine for navigation
Maps/Waze work fine as far as the display goes, but don't give you any audio alerts via BT audio - only via AUX. Perhaps that will be addressed in a future software update.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #1105
LT2424E90M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90 2009

just received my Kremersino unit, anybody have link to install instructions for an E90?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #1106
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
https://we.tl/t-xbbSUdbfw0

Took me less than 30 mins to install, though make sure you set the dip switches correctly or you will get scary warnings on the iDrive screen.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #1107
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
https://we.tl/t-xbbSUdbfw0

Took me less than 30 mins to install, though make sure you set the dip switches correctly or you will get scary warnings on the iDrive screen.
Is this for the Kremersino wireless carplay OEM integration unit?
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #1108
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Maps/Waze work fine as far as the display goes, but don't give you any audio alerts via BT audio - only via AUX. Perhaps that will be addressed in a future software update.
How is the bass response with this latest Kremersino unit over AUX?
      07-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #1109
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
How is the bass response with this latest Kremersino unit over AUX?
Bass is great over AUX.. this is how I'm using it now. I'll try to post my EQ settings within the next day or two.. I have it very close to BT quality at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #1110
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Bass is great over AUX.. this is how I'm using it now. I'll try to post my EQ settings within the next day or two.. I have it very close to BT quality at this point.
Awesome, thanks! I have one of the early models with the weak bass response and was wondering if it was worth upgrading it. And call quality over Carplay with factory mic is OK?
      07-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #1111
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh and Bimmer Tech now has their version of the kit available for CIC and NBT: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...i-cic-retrofit

Wonder how it compares to the latest Kremersino kit.
      07-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #1112
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Oh and Bimmer Tech now has their version of the kit available for CIC and NBT: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...i-cic-retrofit

Nice. Hoping we will finally have a fully baked product. Looking forward to reviews on this.
      07-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #1113
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:

Interesting.

CarPlay MMI Prime supports devices running iOS up to version 13;
Play music through the BMW stereo system with the help of the AUX input.
Our CarPlay retrofit also uses the factory car microphone for Siri voice commands; This means that you can access your iTunes library, get the latest news or send texts hands-free. For this feature to work, your BMW has to have Bluetooth or Voice Control;
The installation is completely plug & play and 100% reversible.

Their installation video shows they use AUX but somehow use the OE Mic for Siri?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #1114
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Interesting.

Our CarPlay retrofit also uses the factory car microphone for Siri voice commands; This means that you can access your iTunes library, get the latest news or send texts hands-free. For this feature to work, your BMW has to have Bluetooth or Voice Control;

Their installation video shows they use AUX but somehow use the OE Mic for Siri?
Yeah, it's definitely interesting. They install a splitter cable that goes to the OEM mic. I had thought the OEM mic was accessed via the Quad lock harness but I guess not.

But the price is double the other kits...
      07-22-2020, 12:09 AM   #1115
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting.

Yeah, it's definitely interesting. They install a splitter cable that goes to the OEM mic. I had thought the OEM mic was accessed via the Quad lock harness but I guess not.

But the price is double the other kits...
I wonder how the splitter works. Maybe we can do the same for our existing kits. I'm guessing it might just have two diodes
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:53 AM   #1116
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome, thanks! I have one of the early models with the weak bass response and was wondering if it was worth upgrading it. And call quality over Carplay with factory mic is OK?
I too have one of the early ones, and have considered upgrading to the latest one, but haven’t been bothered.

The software updates fixed the connection issues I was having, and I worked around the crap sound using my factory Bluetooth audio streaming.

Still love having it in the car, so good!
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      07-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #1117
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wonder how the splitter works. Maybe we can do the same for our existing kits. I'm guessing it might just have two diodes
Here's a screen grab of it. Maybe a simple two wire cable? But would the CP unit be able to process the signal? And I would imagine it would need a software update to handle it.
Attached Images

07-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #1118
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Here's a screen grab of it. Maybe a simple two wire cable? But would the CP unit be able to process the signal? And I would imagine it would need a software update to handle it.
It literally is just two wires with positive and a ground like every other mic. My original intention with the external mic was to remove the existing mic and solder in a second OE mic. I may still do that down the line since the BT on the kremersino is finicky.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      07-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #1119
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
So somehow the other day I got Waze audio alerts over BT. Though I am not sure how i did it....

I am using Tune2Air as my BT adapter.

Like you mentioned typically nav audio doesn't come through but for some reason i was able to get it.

Thinking out loud here- I believe if i use just tune2air (no carplay installed) Waze audio works. So maybe if i connect to that first (tune2air) then connect to carplay it will work?

Like i said i got it working but no idea how i did it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #1120
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

brettcp

Have you updated to the latest software? The file I downloaded said BMW 200725 folder but the files were dated 4/25/2020 for MCU and the boot update is 01/09/2020 which is odd since the original April update I got was dated 04/01/2020.

https://kremersino.com/files-download-area/ pw:1234

Version2 box at the bottom.

I do the autoupdate with the recovery#110 file, my idrive controller does not work with the ACP unit.

I reverted back to the April update that he gave me back in May with the BT switching to Siri issue (Siri always uses Carplay instead of BT Audio for OE Mic)

On another note, their version 2 installation shows a mic adapter that looks like the BimmerRetrofit one.

Last edited by derbo; 07-25-2020 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #1121
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I hadn’t seen that download site before, thanks Derbo!

I need to have a look at my car and see what version I’m running, though it’s been quite solid for ages so don’t think I’ll be messing with mine even if there is an update. Since the lacklustre audio issue is hardware-based (and I work around it with Bluetooth), feels like a if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix situation!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #1122
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
I hadn’t seen that download site before, thanks Derbo!

I need to have a look at my car and see what version I’m running, though it’s been quite solid for ages so don’t think I’ll be messing with mine even if there is an update. Since the lacklustre audio issue is hardware-based (and I work around it with Bluetooth), feels like a if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix situation!
I think you might have Version 1?

Anyways, I ended up running the included aftermarket mic to my OEM mic location and running the AUX now. At least I will have Siri and Nav directions. Music is slightly poorer on Aux but I am messing with AUX gain + EQ to see if I can get close to the OE BT Audio quality.
Appreciate 0