BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
TIRE PRESSURE Checking Frequency

I used to be fanatical about checking tire pressures daily. But with these PSS tires on my M3 DD, there is little change weekly. So I have three questions-
1. How often on my DD?
2. Tolerance? + or - 1 psi?
3. When auto-crossing is pressure checked on each pass? How is a pyrometer used to achieve proper pressure?

I guess that was 4 questions. Thanks for some conversation on this.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
I used to be fanatical about checking tire pressures daily. But with these PSS tires on my M3 DD, there is little change weekly. So I have three questions-
1. How often on my DD?
2. Tolerance? + or - 1 psi?
3. When auto-crossing is pressure checked on each pass? How is a pyrometer used to achieve proper pressure?

I guess that was 4 questions. Thanks for some conversation on this.
Hmmm...well it is definitely different--for me--between checking psi on a dd vs checking it on mine, which is essentially a weekend warrior now. If I was daily driving her still, I dunno, maybe once every week or two? As it is now, I have fallen into the check it every time before I take her out camp. If I find that the pressure is down 1 or 2 psi, I'll probably just equal out the pressures so that the ride is consistent, but any more than that, and I will probably top her up. I don't really know how to answer your other questions, as I do not auto-cross. My main thing is just to make sure she has enough air, and that the ride is smooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

The general idea behind using a pyrometer is to see which parts of the tire are working harder. For example, if you are seeing a large difference in temps between the outsides and insides of the tire, you can adjust tire pressures to help even out temps so that more of the tire is working for you on the track. Of course, this is just a small piece of the puzzle because suspension components and camber settings also play a significant role in these things, too. But that's the basic gist of it.

Hope that helps a little.
Appreciate 1