BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-13-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Twin Turbo M3

Now that it looks almost certain that the 09' M5 will be getting a Twin Turbo upgrade for @600HP anybody want to place bets on the new M3 getting it's own version in 3-4 years?

Before you raise all that skepticism consider this...........

Both the E36 and E34 M3 and M5's received power upgrades during their life cycles. Also, BMW did something that most considered would never happen-
they brought back the Turbo and put it in the "3".

Another thing, certainly the next-gen RS4/RS5 will up the game to at least 500HP..........Does anybody really think BMW will let them go unchallenged?

If they do end up making it, I for one can't wait.............
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater

And Scotty will start beaming me around the ring next year faster than anyone in record time. What the hell kind of logic is used these days for a post? The sky is blue.............the M can be had in Jerez blue..............the car can fly? Seriously, we are so in need of new information that any random question is a new thread. The only post I am waiting for is how much this thing is going to run in the US. Then they will slowly allow it stateside before flooding the market. Convertible, hardtop, sunroof, two door, four door, heavy bitch, light and expensive version. What could possible follow..........oh wait, what about a twin turbo!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavNurs View Post
And Scotty will start beaming me around the ring next year faster than anyone in record time. What the hell kind of logic is used these days for a post? The sky is blue.............the M can be had in Jerez blue..............the car can fly? Seriously, we are so in need of new information that any random question is a new thread. The only post I am waiting for is how much this thing is going to run in the US. Then they will slowly allow it stateside before flooding the market. Convertible, hardtop, sunroof, two door, four door, heavy bitch, light and expensive version. What could possible follow..........oh wait, what about a twin turbo!
Classic!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Appropriate

I think the post and speculation has its place here. The spy shot of the M5 does beg the question along with the hp war that seems to be escalating. Various manufacturers have claimed the weight not hp is the future of sports cars so this does seem inconsistent with that.

There was much discussion about whether or not the E92 M3 would get FI. As ardently as the M group sticks to NA I think FI could be in there future. After all the wonderful 335i does not even feel like it has FI. If you can maintain the linear power curve, the high revs and excellent throttle response there is no reason the M should not at some point get FI.

Last but not least all of us in the US are bored still waiting for the auto shows and pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavNurs View Post

You really need a serious one.

If you bothered to read ANY of the Mag's coming out and check the forum boards you'd see that BMW IS introducing a Twin-Turbo V8 next year for the 7 series.........

So no, it's not fantasy....

Geez WTF is next- posters who actually THINK before they make inane replies?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Now that it looks almost certain that the 09' M5 will be getting a Twin Turbo upgrade for @600HP ...
The power upgrade for the M5 is not certain but rather unlikely ("unlikely" is quite understated). This is one single prototype testing whatever, there won't be an upgrade for the E60 M5 anymore (besides a possible special edition ala CS).

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

You really need a serious one.

If you bothered to read ANY of the Mag's coming out and check the forum boards you'd see that BMW IS introducing a Twin-Turbo V8 next year for the 7 series.........

So no, it's not fantasy....

...and the X5 (..turbo diesel). But we are talking ///M cars here! We'll just have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

IMO not likely. M cars is always about high rev concept. But I can see TT being used in the top of the range "normal" BMWs where the benefits of in gear response with a flat torque band is more practical than outright power on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Now that it looks almost certain that the 09' M5 will be getting a Twin Turbo upgrade for @600HP anybody want to place bets on the new M3 getting it's own version in 3-4 years?

Before you raise all that skepticism consider this...........

Both the E36 and E34 M3 and M5's received power upgrades during their life cycles. Also, BMW did something that most considered would never happen-
they brought back the Turbo and put it in the "3".

Another thing, certainly the next-gen RS4/RS5 will up the game to at least 500HP..........Does anybody really think BMW will let them go unchallenged?

If they do end up making it, I for one can't wait.............

Im sorry but this is crazy talk. The director of M has stated over and over that the M's wont go FI!

To compete plan on switch to lighter cars over more powerful.

Jason
      10-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Im sorry but this is crazy talk. The director of M has stated over and over that the M's wont go FI!

To compete plan on switch to lighter cars over more powerful.

Jason
+1

quite honestly if they went FI with the M models i'd seriously start looking at other cars to buy. part of the appeal to an M car is the high strung, naturally aspirated, motor that revs to the moon. if they went FI i would feel as though bmw has nothing unique to its M models...they'd be just like the AMG folks - adding a supercharger to get more power.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
+1

quite honestly if they went FI with the M models i'd seriously start looking at other cars to buy. part of the appeal to an M car is the high strung, naturally aspirated, motor that revs to the moon. if they went FI i would feel as though bmw has nothing unique to its M models...they'd be just like the AMG folks - adding a supercharger to get more power.
Agreed.

I'm not a fan of forced induction. Take a look @ the overheating issues the 3.0 TT is having. I highly doubt ///M will ever go that route, but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The power upgrade for the M5 is not certain but rather unlikely ("unlikely" is quite understated). This is one single prototype testing whatever, there won't be an upgrade for the E60 M5 anymore (besides a possible special edition ala CS).

Best regards, south
Then why go thru all the trouble with making a prototype South?

Also, what makes you so sure there is no power upgrade planned for the M5? They did it before with the E34 M5...

Look.........BMW says they will never do a lot of things and then after time they do- can you say "Minivan".......oops I mean Progressive Activity Sedan?
Or if you remember back in the 90's nobody thought BMW would commit such heresy and make an SUV..........Which they did- oh, excuse me- it was an SAV called the X5..

Not too long ago everyone SWORE they would NEVER make a turbo car again and then came the 335i....

Fact is, CAFE reg's and customer demands for more efficient cars are making all car companies relook at what they build and sell...........

BMW is no different.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
kishg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 540i/6

Quote:
haha.. your in the wrong forum for that. we're all suffering from M3 schizophrenia
BMWCCA #360858 SCCA# 374179 NASA # 128290
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the prototype testing isn't from BMW?

Its probably an after market tuner testing drivability and reliability.

BMW will never! I repeat: NEVER!! Make an FI ///M within the distant future.

Who knows about 20+ years from no when they may use other forms of power, but as for now. "No, Fuck no!" (Scarface )
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I believe light-weight technology, will earn much more dividends than just more HP.
You don't need a 500hp M3 if it weighs 3,100lbs. All you need are engine refinements and rigorous upgrades to the suspension and steering technology.

Audi can make a 650hp RS5 for all I care, if it weighs 3,700lbs or more and M3's weighs 3,100lbs or even 3,200lbs, BMW will continue to be No.1 in my opinion.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #16
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:

Also, what makes you so sure there is no power upgrade planned for the M5? They did it before with the E34 M5...

Look.........BMW says they will never do a lot of things and then after time they do- can you say "Minivan".......oops I mean Progressive Activity Sedan?
Or if you remember back in the 90's nobody thought BMW would commit such heresy and make an SUV..........Which they did- oh, excuse me- it was an SAV called the X5..

Not too long ago everyone SWORE they would NEVER make a turbo car again and then came the 335i....

Fact is, CAFE reg's and customer demands for more efficient cars are making all car companies relook at what they build and sell...........

BMW is no different.

Nobody that knew anything about BMW said there wouldnt be future turbo BMW's in the future. BMW has a long history of FI cars most of which never left Europes shores which is why we think the 335i is such a novelty here.

Jason
      10-14-2007, 01:47 AM   #17
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater

Is coo, you took a risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 04:08 AM   #18
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:

BMW is no different.
There's no doubt that this prototype has been built for any purpose, we just don't know for which yet. This could be a prototype testing a future M engine (V10 for F10 M5, for X6 etc.) or indeed a prototype for the V8 TT you mentioned which would be for the X6 and F01 7 series. What makes me so sure that there's no power upgrade planned is the fact that there's only one prototype spotted yet (an upgrade of the M5 in the near future would need many more cars for testing) and the fact that the 5 series is right in the second half of its production cycle. There was an LCI already which would have been a good opportunity to do an power upgrade. So I'm convinced that there won't be any more changes to this generation's M5 (Some mentioned an M5 CS model, don't know how much sense that would make). What we most probably see on these pictures is an M5 as "parts test car" for the next generation V10 engine...

BTW BMW M doesn't rule out Turbo cars any more! So - as you said - they will come anytime...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #19
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

I kinda remember hearing the head engineer in a recent article say they aren't ruling out FI in the future of the ///M division. I could be mistaken though.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau View Post
I kinda remember hearing the head engineer in a recent article say they aren't ruling out FI in the future of the ///M division. I could be mistaken though.
I remember reading the same thing - it was an interview (I wanna say with Autoweek) and was posted on this forum.

But seriously, a Turbo in the E60 M5? Makes almost zero sense, since the car probably only has two model years left in it (MY2009, MY2010).

Turbo F10 M5? Maybe. The mule could also be testing the turbo V8 destined for the F01 755, F10 555, and X5 "4.4si".
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #21
Krism5
Rep
Drives: '93M5 '00 323iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Best regards, south
Ok guys! There will be about 70hp power upgrade for the E60 M5!!! Just talked to my buddy from werks.