BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

2010 E92 M3 DCT ESS tune | 2011 E90 M3 ZCP | Dyno results

So we dyno our dct, 2 pulls at 4th gear and the last pull at 5th gear.

2010 E92 M3 DCT

Mods:

-ESS tune
-BMC air filter
-Full amuse ericsson exhaust system 100cell race cat, straight pipe to muffler.

338 WHP 252 TQ

2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP (no tune):

Mods:
-BMC air filter
-Air scoops
-Stock cat / Custom stock straight x-pipe
-Eisenmann race exhaust

340 WHP 255 TQ

I was expecting a little more power since I got ESS tune and an full exhaust system.
These number are lower than some of the stock m3's WTF

1st pictures is my dyno sheet, 2nd picture is 2011 ZCP dyno sheet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Evan_RS; 11-18-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [9.71]
Dyno in 4th gear. When I went to dyno my car all I needed to do was turn off DSC. Once rolling on the dyno the dash lit up xmas tree style but it still let me go to redline. My car is a DCT 2011 ZCP btw.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
Dyno in 4th gear. When I went to dyno my car all I needed to do was turn off DSC. Once rolling on the dyno the dash lit up xmas tree style but it still let me go to redline. My car is a DCT 2011 ZCP btw.
Thanks for the info, that's what we did.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

question, how does one determine what gear to dyno in?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

get the latest OEM software, it will make a significant improvement.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

in the gear that is closest to the 1:1 gear ratio

read this:

Quote:
the reason for the dyno in the 1:1 gear ratio is due to the Dynojet. Dynojet mathematically creates a horsepower number based on mass (which is the known weight of the rollers) and accleration (how fast the car is accelerating the known weight).

F=ma

From force (F), we can calculate horsepower.

Dyno the car in 2nd gear, and acceleration (a) goes way up, causing force (F) to go way up.

So by dynoing the car in the gear closest to the 1:1 gear ratio, we eliminate any acceleration advantage or disadvantage caused by the transmission, which gives us unskewed whp numbers (even though Dynojet has a fudge factor in there which makes them skewed anyways and read high).

As for other dynos out there (i.e. Mustang and Dyno Dynamics) - they use a load cell to measure roll force (the amount of force the tire is placing on the roller). Based on roll force and the radius arm going to the load cell, we get roll torque. Based on roll torque and roll speed, we can get vehicle horsepower. Vehicle horsepower and vehicle RPM gives vehicle torque. It doesn't matter what gear you run in on load cell style dynos as they are measuring force, not acceleration. Force does not change from gear to gear.
      11-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

5th gear in DCT is 1:1
Go back to the Dyno and put the car in 5th and you will see the difference. Good Luck !
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Go back to the Dyno and put the car in 5th and you will see the difference. Good Luck !
we did the a pull in 5th, same result as we did in 4th gear pull.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
we did the a pull in 5th, same result as we did in 4th gear pull.
Thats interesting cause there should be a difference !
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by img
Actually in a DCT equipped car, 7th gear is 1:1. In a 6 Spd, it's 5th gear. There should definitely not be anyone running a dyno in 7th gear. The amount of time and road speed needed to complete a run on a dyno is a recipe for destruction.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats interesting cause there should be a difference !
If you look at my dyno sheet, the 1st and 2nd pull was dyno at 4th gear, 3rd pull was dyno at 5th gear. I don't know but I am very disappointed with the result.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you look at my dyno sheet, the 1st and 2nd pull was dyno at 4th gear, 3rd pull was dyno at 5th gear. I don't know but I am very disappointed with the result.
I would too,how long ago did you flash your car ? was the car at the dealer anytime soon ?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would too,how long ago did you flash your car ? was the car at the dealer anytime soon ?
Back in 2010, after my system was installed, the CEL was on. So my friend friend told me to send it to ESS to get it tune, car will run smoother, extra power, blah blah blah. So, the ECU was sent to Roman@ESS to get the "tune". When I bring my car to get service every time, my service advisor always tell me there is a recall for my car " DCT software update," I called Roman about the "DCT software update" ask if I sure get the update, he told me no need.

Now after the dyno result, looks like that "tune" did nothing but just to turn off my CEL. " I mean look, even my friend's car with NO TUNE, slip on got more power than my.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Sorry to hear about the poor results. You should contact Mike Benvo if you'd like a tune that will actually gain power - all his customers have seen day and night differences, along with their dyno results.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Back in 2010, after my system was installed, the CEL was on. So my friend friend told me to send it to ESS to get it tune, car will run smoother, extra power, blah blah blah. So, the ECU was sent to Roman@ESS to get the "tune". When I bring my car to get service every time, my service advisor always tell me there is a recall for my car " DCT software update," I called Roman about the "DCT software update" ask if I sure get the update, he told me no need.

Now after the dyno result, looks like that "tune" did nothing but just to turn off my CEL. " I mean look, even my friend's car with NO TUNE, slip on got more power than my.
Do you have your own baseline as well as results after the tune?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

The ZCP car has OEM X pipe w/ cat deletes vs your HFC (marginal difference). It's making similar power because your car has similar mods, except the tune.

Try the new OEM software on your car or a different tune. Results look within reason to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@McKennaPerformance View Post
Sorry to hear about the poor results. You should contact Mike Benvo if you'd like a tune that will actually gain power - all his customers have seen day and night differences, along with their dyno results.
Marco, does your friend still have his dyno sheet from before and after from the ESS TUNE? If he still have, can he please post it here. If he don't mind.

I already called Mike Benvo, I'm going to get my recall (DCT software update at the deal), and than get the tune from mike or maybe just save enough to get a VF supercharger .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Sorry, I don't. I saw a lot of the stock M3's dyno sheet result that got more power than my

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
The ZCP car has OEM X pipe w/ cat deletes vs your HFC (marginal difference). It's making similar power because your car has similar mods, except the tune.

Try the new OEM software on your car or a different tune. Results look within reason to me.
The ZCP got NO TUNE, STOCK CAT, Custom OEM stock x-pipe, slip on muffler compare to my 100cell race cat straight pipe to mullfer with " ESS TUNE" And he 2hp and 3 tq more than I did
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Regardless of what some tuner will say it is going to be hard for you to see a big difference on the dyno. There are several variables that will affect the numbers. It sounds cliche but trust your "butt" dyno and I am also confident ESS knows what they are doing. No need to panic, just go out and enjoy your M.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I Personaly think that your car was flashed back to stock based on your Dyno runs.
Get the E-Flash from Ess and have Roman email you your file and load it up again.
Having the E-flash is easier than sending the ECU back IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@VelosDesignwerks View Post
Regardless of what some tuner will say it is going to be hard for you to see a big difference on the dyno. There are several variables that will affect the numbers. It sounds cliche but trust your "butt" dyno and I am also confident ESS knows what they are doing. No need to panic, just go out and enjoy your M.

Ok....so this is what I'm going do right now. Sit in a meditation position, close my eyes, breath slowly. Then think this in my head : I sure be confident with my tune, be thankful I have an ess tune. uuunnmmm is hard to see big difference on the dyno, don't look at those number, don't look at those damm numbers. I'm trying. Will, try harder. Trust my butt dyno. Wait stop, wtf am I doing, this shit is not working.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I Personaly think that your car was flashed back to stock based on your Dyno runs.
Get the E-Flash from Ess and have Roman email you your file and load it up again.
Having the E-flash is easier than sending the ECU back IMO.
No one touch it my ECU.
If it was flashed back to stock my CEL would of turn on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Every modified M3 in most cases will dyno slightly different from another. Comparing results from different cars with different mods is not going to give accurate information on what your mods are adding to your car. As Tom suggested you should always compare your car and your mods to itself not others, especially if you use custom built or modified exhaust systems. We have bone stock cars that run the same versions of stock software we dyno test and get different results from. We have also had many custom exhaust systems lose power on our dyno when tested along with others that have made power.

Valentino if it has been a couple of years since we tuned your car you can send your ECU in to be updated to the latest version of our NA performance software at no charge or you can email me direct and we can discuss your options for upgrading you to our remote tuning E-Flash if you want to check / update your current software remotely.
Appreciate 0