BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

09-21-2021, 04:44 AM   #1
hugheserj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 Competition

Vacuum pump full of water

My M3 recently started going into limp mode and throwing the error code for vacuum sensor brake booster plausibility. It would only do this on start up from cold and with spirited driving WOT.

I started off by replacing the brake booster sensor last night and that did't fix it. Interestingly, I read a lot of threads that note when the sensor is giving up the the vacuum booster will start running a lot.

I haven't owned the car long but couldn't remember hearing the vacuum pump ever run. So tonight I pulled the pump out and it wouldn't run from a 12V feed.

Opened up the vacuum pump motor and found it was probably half full of water. Cleaned it up dried it out and it ran fine so put it back on the car and no more error codes.

What I can't work out is how the pump motor got full of water???????
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
How sure are you it was water? Taste test? I could see it filling up if a line was cracked and was sucking in water from rain or car washes.

I wouldn't drive that car until the brake fluid was flushed and all the lines inspected.