BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #23
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Going to copy SYT_Shadow again - getting the roof ordered for my E90 M3. The sunroof is such an eyesore on a bright car & I never use it anyways - this is perfect!

Slonik - not sure what all the mess was with the bbk's; sounds like some people had some legitimate gripes there. But can say my dealings with them have all been smooth to this point. Have multiple of there DCT pans & will be using them on all our dct race builds moving forward.
Agreed, Slonik was a pleasure to deal with when i setup the group buy for the pan. He even started shipping before people paid for their part of the group buy.
      01-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Going to copy SYT_Shadow again - getting the roof ordered for my E90 M3. The sunroof is such an eyesore on a bright car & I never use it anyways - this is perfect!

Slonik - not sure what all the mess was with the bbk's; sounds like some people had some legitimate gripes there. But can say my dealings with them have all been smooth to this point. Have multiple of there DCT pans & will be using them on all our dct race builds moving forward.
Do it! It's going to look even better in your car as yours is lighter/brighter than mine!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4656.00
      01-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #25
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
The piece looks beautiful! Maybe someday I'll do it.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
slcook541859.50
      01-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #26
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Do it! It's going to look even better in your car as yours is lighter/brighter than mine!
You pretty much sold me on it already - been talking to them
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #27
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Interesting post. How does the cost and lead time compare to the other E90 offering? I've been on the fence about this for the 8+ years of ownership of my E90 since this is something I can do myself. I was happy with the subframe bushing I got from Slon a couple years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #28
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Interesting post. How does the cost and lead time compare to the other E90 offering? I've been on the fence about this for the 8+ years of ownership of my E90 since this is something I can do myself. I was happy with the subframe bushing I got from Slon a couple years ago.
I've seen another CF roof install with a pretty common brand. The CF roof was useless the way it came, it had to go to the body shop and have several layers of clearcoat added.
This roof is more expensive for sure, but you get something in exchange for your money. I only plan on doing the roof once and expect not only OEM fit and finish and visual quality, but also for it to stand the test of time the same way the OEM CF roof holds up. That's what I'm paying for. This isn't a show car that sits at home, it gets regular use and things like the CF roof yellowing or chipping are unacceptable.

I was also on the fence for years because I didn't want to put a piece of garbage on my roof. Finally this is the right product.

It took 3.5 weeks to show up at my house from Russia. I'm on the East Coast

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-20-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1179.50
      01-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #29
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Wow! Looks terrific

Paraphrasing OG Shark

Going to copy SYT_Shadow again - getting an E90 for my ordered slonik CF roof

JK
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
OG Shark4656.00
      01-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #30
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Wow! Looks terrific

Paraphrasing OG Shark

JK
Good one lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #31
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
I've seen another CF roof install with a pretty common brand. The CF roof was useless the way it came, it had to go to the body shop and have several layers of clearcoat added.
This roof is more expensive for sure, but you get something in exchange for your money. I only plan on doing the roof once and expect not only OEM fit and finish and visual quality, but also for it to stand the test of time the same way the OEM CF roof holds up. That's what I'm paying for. This isn't a show car that sits at home, it gets regular use and things like the CF roof yellowing or chipping are unacceptable.

I was also on the fence for years because I didn't want to put a piece of garbage on my roof. Finally this is the right product.

It took 3.5 weeks to show up at my house from Russia. I'm on the East Coast
Cost should definitely reflect quality. I learned that may years ago and occasionally remind myself by purchasing other things. Hopefully my most recent purchase won't remind me that since it's coming from a more reputable company and costs more than I care to admit for a part I'll likely damage day one. The other source is similar in price to the factory coupe roof, so I would expect an aftermarket of good quality to be more due to the production costs. I didn't know there was more than one option. If you don't mind PMing me the details I would appreciate it.

I expect high quality as well and my dealer has a body shop so I always planned to have them add a couple layers of clear coat to any carbon component that's not OEM. Maybe some that are just for the UV protection. Sealants and ceramic coating can only do so much. Not that I would call an unprotected component unusable, but definitely not a forever part like the existing steel roof should be barring any damage of course.

Here's some pics of what I hope to see in the guesstimated 6-8 week lead time. 🤞🏽Anyone guess where it's coming from? It's not the GB company floating around these days. That didn't go so well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #32
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Looking amazing! The M2'esque weave is available at most carbon suppliers. Time for another one 😁
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #33
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Cost should definitely reflect quality. I learned that may years ago and occasionally remind myself by purchasing other things. Hopefully my most recent purchase won't remind me that since it's coming from a more reputable company and costs more than I care to admit for a part I'll likely damage day one. The other source is similar in price to the factory coupe roof, so I would expect an aftermarket of good quality to be more due to the production costs. I didn't know there was more than one option. If you don't mind PMing me the details I would appreciate it.

I expect high quality as well and my dealer has a body shop so I always planned to have them add a couple layers of clear coat to any carbon component that's not OEM. Maybe some that are just for the UV protection. Sealants and ceramic coating can only do so much. Not that I would call an unprotected component unusable, but definitely not a forever part like the existing steel roof should be barring any damage of course.

Here's some pics of what I hope to see in the guesstimated 6-8 week lead time. 🤞🏽Anyone guess where it's coming from? It's not the GB company floating around these days. That didn't go so well.
That looks beautiful!! CF supports are
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #34
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Wow! Looks terrific

Paraphrasing OG Shark

JK
Ha I definitely approve of stockpiling parts before getting the car!

I do have an RKP cf roof for my M2 waiting to go on as well. It is purely for weight loss since it is going full race car but will be interesting to compare quality & fitment between the two.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:54 PM   #35
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

I do have an RKP cf roof for my M2 waiting to go on as well. It is purely for weight loss since it is going full race car but will be interesting to compare quality & fitment between the two.

please let us know
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #36
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Looking amazing! The M2'esque weave is available at most carbon suppliers. Time for another one 😁
I'm a 1x1 weave guy myself so it matches my only other carbon component, which is the M Performance spoiler on my trunk. Why does the awesome factory GTS spoiler need to be so expensive. I prefer OE parts when possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #37
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
If y'all only knew, this man knows how to stockpile
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
OG Shark4656.00
      01-20-2021, 09:14 PM   #38
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a 1x1 weave guy myself so it matches my only other carbon component, which is the M Performance spoiler on my trunk. Why does the awesome factory GTS spoiler need to be so expensive. I prefer OE parts when possible.
That Alpha N front lip is looking mean. Definitely a step up in quality using CFK, no denying that. Saw it on their IG, no idea that was yours 👌
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:16 PM   #39
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

This looks like Alpha-N.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 09:20 PM   #40
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That Alpha N front lip is looking mean. Definitely a step up in quality, no denying that. Saw it on their IG, no idea that was yours 👌
Well it's not mine yet, but that's the one. Looking forward to it. The pics look much better than my last purchase did when it arrived. I'll keep the watchers up to date when the time comes.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-22-2021, 09:04 PM   #41
MPACT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90M3/E46M3/E36M3/MYP

Thanks for the detail. I am going to need this. I missed the price? GB maybe?
'21 Ford Expedition Max Stealth - Tow Vehicle
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:24 PM   #42
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPACT View Post
Thanks for the detail. I am going to need this. I missed the price? GB maybe?
Price is $2400 delivered. A GB would be pretty sweet!

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-22-2021 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #43
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Price seems to be pretty reasonable. A new e92 factory skin is now $4200 plus sh/tax. I remember looking five years ago and they could be had for $1700+. I wonder if he's going to do a coupe version?
      01-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #44
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Price seems to be pretty reasonable. A new e92 factory skin is now $4200 plus sh/tax. I remember looking five years ago and they could be had for $1700+. I wonder if he's going to do a coupe version?
Imagine when the factory skins are NLA... i hope that never happens. Interesting that they used to be so cheap! I had no idea
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00