BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #23
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Part #2
RelaxIN2
Attached Images

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #24
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
Nope... I tried it on the tablet and it doesn't work there either.. gotta be the cable... There are 2 pins on the OBD connector that are elevated higher than the others. I'm wondering if that's not allowing the other pins to engaged. I ordered another cable from amazon... should be here tomorrow so we'll see...
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      08-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #25
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
We both have the same year, same model. I went out and did screen shots of my settings in Protools. Bump yours against them.

RelaxIN2
Sorry... didn't realize that you posted your screenshots... I thought they were still mine.

SO..I think you're on to something now... Looking at YOUR screenshot, Under Safety, you have DWA - ALARM... I do NOT have that in mine.. So now I'm really confused... in my VO under CAS... I have $302 Alarm System...

I'm looking around now to see where and had to add DWA - ALARM...
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      08-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #26
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN2 View Post
Quote:
We both have the same year, same model. I went out and did screen shots of my settings in Protools. Bump yours against them.

RelaxIN2
Sorry... didn't realize that you posted your screenshots... I thought they were still mine.

SO..I think you're on to something now... Looking at YOUR screenshot, Under Safety, you have DWA - ALARM... I do NOT have that in mine.. So now I'm really confused... in my VO under CAS... I have $302 Alarm System...

I'm looking around now to see where and had to add DWA - ALARM...
I would "rewrite" it to the VO and save it to the CAS and FRM.

If you haven't coded anything yet with Protool, check out this video. Skip to about 5:40. At around 9:40 changing the VO is shown.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #27
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well... I can't do anything now, the wife took the car. How would I rewrite it to the VO..? I "assume" I would have to UNCHECK the Alarm in the VO and save it... then enable the Alarm again and write it to both the CAS & FRM...? The Protools app wont open unless its connected to the car, so I can't see the menu's..

Let me ask another question... since they replaced the DME & CAS, how would I ever know if they forgot to code or enable a module....? I just happen to catch this one because its the alarm system and the clown nose wasn't lit up....How could I double-check to make sure that everything that came with the car is enabled...? If I run my VIN# through one of the online system, would it tell me what modules and features came with the car..

For example... I took a picture of my original CAS module before I sent it off... The original one was a CAS 3... however, the one I got back has a sticker over it from Precision ECU... it doesn't say what type it is... or maybe something didn't come over in the cloning process... Just trying to think outside the box a bit...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #28
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Correct, delete it, save it, add it back, save it. You could try just saving the VO as is to see if that rewrites it, but it may, it may not. If it does, it will overwrite the VO in the CAS and FRM and ALL should be back to factory. Something appears to have gone south when they cloned it.

If you decode the VIN it will tell exactly what came in the original VO. There are a few online sites that you can use, some better than others.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
RelaxIN2512.00
      08-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #29
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct, delete it, save it, add it back, save it. You could try just saving the VO as is to see if that rewrites it, but it may, it may not. If it does, it will overwrite the VO in the CAS and FRM and ALL should be back to factory. Something appears to have gone south when they cloned it.

If you decode the VIN it will tell exactly what came in the original VO. There are a few online sites that you can use, some better than others.
Yup... that's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure... I didn't want to brick the DME or CAS by accident.

Yes, I'm going to see if I can pull the VIN information to confirm that all of the options are installed and enabled..

Thanks again... I'll keep you posted..
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      08-05-2021, 06:32 AM   #30
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Well... I can't do anything now, the wife took the car. How would I rewrite it to the VO..? I "assume" I would have to UNCHECK the Alarm in the VO and save it... then enable the Alarm again and write it to both the CAS & FRM...? The Protools app wont open unless its connected to the car, so I can't see the menu's..

Let me ask another question... since they replaced the DME & CAS, how would I ever know if they forgot to code or enable a module....? I just happen to catch this one because its the alarm system and the clown nose wasn't lit up....How could I double-check to make sure that everything that came with the car is enabled...? If I run my VIN# through one of the online system, would it tell me what modules and features came with the car..

For example... I took a picture of my original CAS module before I sent it off... The original one was a CAS 3... however, the one I got back has a sticker over it from Precision ECU... it doesn't say what type it is... or maybe something didn't come over in the cloning process... Just trying to think outside the box a bit...
Your CAS is not 'cloned'. All they do is extract the SK from your old DME and change it the replacement CAS to match. Coding parameters are not transferred. You have to do that yourself.

I don't use Protools so I cannot comment on your issues with that tool. However, with NCSExpert, writing the VO and coding the modules are TWO SEPARATE STEPS. Simply having the VO include an option DOES NOT activate that option. You must code the specific modules required for that option. In NCSExpert, you would first edit the VO then write it to CAS and NFRM using FA_WRITE. Then, in 'default mode', you'd select the relevant module and code it using SG_CODIEREN.

Have you used the Protool app to 'default code' CAS? If you haven't, that's what you should do.

Edit: also, VINs are not important here. Don't worry about them
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #31
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Quote:

Your CAS is not 'cloned'. All they do is extract the SK from your old DME and change it the replacement CAS to match. Coding parameters are not transferred. You have to do that yourself.

I don't use Protools so I cannot comment on your issues with that tool. However, with NCSExpert, writing the VO and coding the modules are TWO SEPARATE STEPS. Simply having the VO include an option DOES NOT activate that option. You must code the specific modules required for that option. In NCSExpert, you would first edit the VO then write it to CAS and NFRM using FA_WRITE. Then, in 'default mode', you'd select the relevant module and code it using SG_CODIEREN.

Have you used the Protool app to 'default code' CAS? If you haven't, that's what you should do.

Edit: also, VINs are not important here. Don't worry about them
He got it resolved and is good to go.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #32
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Hey Dpaul... Thanks for getting back to me. I just got a resolution yesterday to the issue I've been having. I haven't had an opportunity to update the thread until now..

To answer your question & comments.. Yes, I was able to see the alarm option in the VO, CAS/FRM, etc... however, I was not able to see the DWA module. I contacted the place that did the CLONE for the CAS issue I was having and asked them if it was related or not, or if they had any suggestions. He suggested that I look at the same things that you mentioned and double check the fuses..

I told him that I referenced the fuse card and said that I looked at #54 & #62. I said #54 had nothing in it and #62 had a 7.5 amp fuse that tested good. I further went on to say that I took a picture of the fuse box BEFORE even touched anything and #54 had no fuse in it. Its not uncommon not to have a fuse in all of the designated slots as different cars have different options, etc..

He replied... No, sometimes they do if they are loose or someone was in there troubleshooting something and accidentally pulls on the wrong one. As soon as he said that, the only thing I can think of is when I was troubleshooting the CAS module. I checked the fuse for the CAS and the CAS fuse is #55... one above #54. Possibly I grabbed or hit fuse #54 and it fell out "somewhere". I'm usually pretty good about taking pictures BEFORE I do anything, just so I have something to reference as a starting point. I must have checked that CAS fuse first, then took the picture of the fuse box for reference. It's the only think I can think of.

He said, Trust me, it should have a 7.5 fuse in #54 and #62. Go put one in and see... I just put one it and the freaking thing worked...!!. admittedly, the fuse does feel slightly loose in there but not enough to fall out. And if that were the case, you would think that I would see it on the floor or somewhere.

I checked Protools and I now see the DWA Module ... everything is configured and working. I see the (2) iDrive audible options and I can select those now...

- Clown Nose is working
- Lights Flash and Chirp when locking and unlocking doors
- Panic alarm and proximity sensors work, etc...

I only used the VIN to reference what options the car came with so I could compare it to what I had listed in Protools. As it turns out, everything was in there..

Thank you for your input though..!!
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00