BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

11-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Saw the reveal today. Confirmed 7:39 Nurburgring lap time. 191mph top speed. 0-60 in 3.8.

Reliability will probably make me beg for the days I worried about rod bearings... but I think I'll take the plunge and own an Alfa if they can deliver everything presented today.

Anyone else following this car?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

What excites me the most about this car is that the curb weight will be under 3400 lbs. Besides the big unknown around reliability, I'm curiously looking forward to how it drives. Will drivers need to be as cautious with the throttle like the new F80 M3?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsi View Post
What excites me the most about this car is that the curb weight will be under 3400 lbs. Besides the big unknown around reliability, I'm curiously looking forward to how it drives. Will drivers need to be as cautious with the throttle like the new F80 M3?
Bad news on that front -- the reveal listed curb weight @ 3600 lbs. Still reasonable to us E9X M3 owners
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMmmm View Post
Bad news on that front -- the reveal listed curb weight @ 3600 lbs. Still reasonable to us E9X M3 owners

Whaaaat, they hyped it up that it was going to be sub 3400lbs!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #5
AreOut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

maybe base Gulia will be 3400 but not with this engine

reliability isn't a concern with new Alfas anymore judging by owners but you never know with new model...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63 AMG

Quote:
Saw the reveal today. Confirmed 7:39 Nurburgring lap time. 191mph top speed. 0-60 in 3.8.

Reliability will probably make me beg for the days I worried about rod bearings... but I think I'll take the plunge and own an Alfa if they can deliver everything presented today.

Anyone else following this car?
Yes, absolutely following it (in hi-performance Quadrofoglio trim), especially 'cause it reminds me of several years spent in Italy; had entirely too much damn fun. And I'm getting nostalgic.........

.......The frequent summer trips to Jesolo & Rimini Beaches and/or Caneva Sport Water Park. (Believe me; topless is cool to the Euros.) Venice during Carnivale'. Serie A soccer games. The Palladium night club. Catching Italian cruise ships from Cagliari to wherever. Hi-speed blasts up & down the Autostrada to the Milano airport (Yup, they had unlimited sections like the Autobahn). Alfa Romeo 75s and Fiat Cinquecentos a dime-a-dozen; everywhere you looked. Oh, those wild & crazy days.

Yet, suddenly I'm more excited than before after skimming thru this LA Auto Show C&D piece, where I see some of the info you've provided: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/us-...-and-info-news

So, while you make a very good point re: reliability, part of me hopes and prays that some trickled-down quality & solidity comes from their traditional sidekicks - Maserati & Ferrari. Not that either is considered all that great in those areas, but it would add some level of comfort.

And not to be too much of spoiler, but get this excerpt: "The beefcake Giulia carries a 505-hp, 2.9-liter, direct-injected, 90-degree V-6 derived from the Ferrari 488GTB’s engine. Whereas the mid-engined V-8 ripper from Maranello makes 661 horsepower, the Alfa squeezes roughly 1 more horsepower from each cylinder than the Ferrari does, utilizing 35 psi of peak boost.
  • Ferrari tuned 2.9? (I'm not complainin')
  • From the 488, no less? (Aw damn)
  • With 35 psi of boost!? (They done lost their minds. I've never seen anyone go higher than 25; most apply mid/upper teen to low 20s levels.)
  • Is that design - inside & out - and the profile not absolutely stunning?! (Dare I say hot & sexy, but not necessarily totally girly. Sorry ladies; think Infiniti G35.....looks equally good on a male or female driver.)
Well, I'm impressed at what we see so far; the 'test of time' soon to come. Now, off to finish the article.
Appreciate 1
Bucki14143.50
      11-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBM View Post
And not to be too much of spoiler, but get this excerpt: The beefcake Giulia carries a 505-hp, 2.9-liter, direct-injected, 90-degree V-6 derived from the Ferrari 488GTB’s engine. Whereas the mid-engined V-8 ripper from Maranello makes 661 horsepower, the Alfa squeezes roughly 1 more horsepower from each cylinder than the Ferrari does, utilizing 35 psi of peak boost
Here are some more details to get you excited:
  • 174 hp per liter -- That's nearly 5 more than the 488 GTB
  • 7 lbs/1 hp -- 488 GTB takes the cake here @ 4.6 lbs/1hp

For those interested, full reveal can be watched here with even more details: http://livestream.com/FCALive/AlfaRomeoLAAutoShow2015
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow 35psi!!

Quote:
Yes, absolutely following it (in hi-performance Quadrofoglio trim), especially 'cause it reminds me of several years spent in Italy; had entirely too much damn fun. And I'm getting nostalgic.........

.......The frequent summer trips to Jesolo & Rimini Beaches and/or Caneva Sport Water Park. (Believe me; topless is cool to the Euros.) Venice during Carnivale'. Serie A soccer games. The Palladium night club. Catching Italian cruise ships from Cagliari to wherever. Hi-speed blasts up & down the Autostrada to the Milano airport (Yup, they had unlimited sections like the Autobahn). Alfa Romeo 75s and Fiat Cinquecentos a dime-a-dozen; everywhere you looked. Oh, those wild & crazy days.

Yet, suddenly I'm more excited than before after skimming thru this LA Auto Show C&D piece, where I see some of the info you've provided: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/us-...-and-info-news

So, while you make a very good point re: reliability, part of me hopes and prays that some trickled-down quality & solidity comes from their traditional sidekicks - Maserati & Ferrari. Not that either is considered all that great in those areas, but it would add some level of comfort.

And not to be too much of spoiler, but get this excerpt: "The beefcake Giulia carries a 505-hp, 2.9-liter, direct-injected, 90-degree V-6 derived from the Ferrari 488GTB’s engine. Whereas the mid-engined V-8 ripper from Maranello makes 661 horsepower, the Alfa squeezes roughly 1 more horsepower from each cylinder than the Ferrari does, utilizing 35 psi of peak boost.
  • Ferrari tuned 2.9? (I'm not complainin')
  • From the 488, no less? (Aw damn)
  • With 35 psi of boost!? (They done lost their minds. I've never seen anyone go higher than 25; most apply mid/upper teen to low 20s levels.)
  • Is that design - inside & out - and the profile not absolutely stunning?! (Dare I say hot & sexy, but not necessarily totally girly. Sorry ladies; think Infiniti G35.....looks equally good on a male or female driver.)
Well, I'm impressed at what we see so far; the 'test of time' soon to come. Now, off to finish the article.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

It's a bit weird looking from certain angles, but other than that:

11-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here are some more details to get you excited:
  • 174 hp per liter -- That's nearly 5 more than the 488 GTB
  • 7 lbs/1 hp -- 488 GTB takes the cake here @ 4.6 lbs/1hp

For those interested, full reveal can be watched here with even more details: http://livestream.com/FCALive/AlfaRomeoLAAutoShow2015
Nice details.......thanks for the link, too.

And not to muck up the thread, but Jaguar's new XE S - with a SC'd 3.0 V-6 with mid 300s hp/torque, 4.5 sec. 0-60 time........reportedly has a great chassis/handling dynamics akin to an M3/4 or ATS-V, albeit the not the hi-performance XE R model. So, assuming Jag joins the fray, competition in the little hot luxury sedan class is heating up quite nicely, no pun intended.

Fine with us.

Quote:
Wow 35psi!!
Yeah, bruh; 30-freaking-5. Think it was a typo? Nah.

But answer me this, either or both of you, please. As with engines that rev really high that are said to have a shorter lifespan than those topping out in the 6,000-7,000 range - assuming that's true in my limited gearhead knowledge............does the 35 psi have any adverse affect?

Again, never seen that much used, so there must be a reason most mfgs. limit themselves to 25 or so, it stands to reason.

In fact, can someone in the Bimmerpost Nation educate me, please? Thank you boys & girls.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think it has much adverse affect relative to a car's redline. With that much psi, I would think that the compression ratio is really low - so the torque must be pretty low until you build boost. But who knows, I don't know how far turbo technology has come... Also I know that 35 psi would be a lot for a turbo with an internal wastegate to handle (how they come on factory turbo'd cars). So maybe it's using external wastegates?

Quote:
Nice details.......thanks for the link, too.

And not to muck up the thread, but Jaguar's new XE S - with a SC'd 3.0 V-6 with mid 300s hp/torque, 4.5 sec. 0-60 time........reportedly has a great chassis/handling dynamics akin to an M3/4 or ATS-V, albeit the not the hi-performance XE R model. So, assuming Jag joins the fray, competition in the little hot luxury sedan class is heating up quite nicely, no pun intended.

Fine with us.

Yeah, bruh; 30-freaking-5. Think it was a typo? Nah.

But answer me this, either or both of you, please. As with engines that rev really high that are said to have a shorter lifespan than those topping out in the 6,000-7,000 range - assuming that's true in my limited gearhead knowledge............does the 35 psi have any adverse affect?

Again, never seen that much used, so there must be a reason most mfgs. limit themselves to 25 or so, it stands to reason.

In fact, can someone in the Bimmerpost Nation educate me, please? Thank you boys & girls.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it has much adverse affect relative to a car's redline. With that much psi, I would think that the compression ratio is really low - so the torque must be pretty low until you build boost. But who knows, I don't know how far turbo technology has come... Also I know that 35 psi would be a lot for a turbo with an internal wastegate to handle (how they come on factory turbo'd cars). So maybe it's using external wastegates?
Understood......thanks. We'll see what magic Ferrari is able to work,as their engine builders are pretty good, needless to say.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I don't think its a true 35psi. The Europeans tend to do something funky with their number like start at 1bar then add whatever boost the turbo produces to that total. It's probably more like 20-25psi. Still badass though.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #14
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

THIS THREAD NEEDS SOME PICS

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #15
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I absolutely love this car's looks and performance. Very interested in owning one, one day.

(past) 2012 E92 M3 - Melbourne Red - Eibach Springs/AG M359/ performance spoiler/ performance splitters/10mm spacers, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Alpine Stage 2 Tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #16
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for posting those pics mxa121

Absolutely love the interior of this car!!! Curious to see how much the carbon fiber buckets will cost
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #17
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting those pics mxa121

Absolutely love the interior of this car!!! Curious to see how much the carbon fiber buckets will cost
Yes, indeed.....thanks again, mxa121, for taking charge.

Nice overall design by Alfa, especially the interior touches, and we needed to see those pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 12:26 AM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

It sounds SO MUCH better than the F8x too.

Any info on transmission choices?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Most stuff is standard too.

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/content..._Giulia_FA.pdf

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #20
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The front of the car is really ugly ...kind of a deal breaker to me
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Looks like a g6 with busted face, had no idea what car we were talking about and got excited until saw that.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #22
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Looks like a g6 with busted face, had no idea what car we were talking about and got excited until saw that.
I do think the F8X is a better looking car, but I don't find this ugly. Curious to see how it drives, but specs indicate it should be an easy choice when shopping against a new M3/4.
Appreciate 0