BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

08-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Tell me what you did about no car between ED and re-delivery

I think this is a pretty common scenario, so I'm open to all feedback.

I already did ED for my current E92 M3 last October. Loved every minute of it, and even did PCD. I can't wait to go back and do it again! At the time, I had my daily driver Honda Accord (paid for/not traded in) that I drove while waiting on re-delivery. I still drive this car all the time.

I want to go back to Europe in summer of 2015 to pick up a MY2016 F80 M3. Far away, I know.. but these things take planning. So, right now I have my Accord, which I'm considering selling. Why? Well, since I don't typically drive my M3 to work, I'm not driving it nearly as much as I'd like. I have a small daughter, and a son on the way, so there is the car seat situation. Specifically, I'm not going to put 6 car seats across three cars (wife's, Accord, M3) because that is overkill/ridiculous. So, I'm thinking about moving to my E92 M3 as a daily, and eventually getting the F80 to be an ideal family hauler.

I'm considering selling my '06 Accord soon, as it's still in good shape, lowish miles (<80K) and currently needs zero repair or maintenance. In other words, I can probably get decent money for it and that will mean I can pay off my current M3 even faster. With that plan, I would daily driving the M3, but absolutely would need to trade/sell it before I get an F80 via ED.

I know from experience that it is 8-9 weeks after dropoff to PDC pickup. I also know some of you rent cheap cars during that time frame. That could be almost $2K I think, which seems like a lot of money down the drain. I've also considered buying a beater for <$5K and just reselling. But that sounds like a bit of a hassle with the titling/taxes/re-selling/etc. Any ideas, based on your own experience?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Ride a bicycle. Seriously, there are no options that will be hassle-free since BMW is not going to give you a loaner while you wait for your new car to arrive. In my opinion, your best option is to keep your Accord and drive it to the ground. It is a great family hauler and will you save mileage on your new M3. I have a 2003 Acccord with 170K miles and it is till running strong.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
Ride a bicycle. Seriously, there are no options that will be hassle-free since BMW is not going to give you a loaner while you wait for your new car to arrive. In my opinion, your best option is to keep your Accord and drive it to the ground. It is a great family hauler and will you save mileage on your new M3. I have a 2003 Acccord with 170K miles and it is till running strong.
Not sure if you were serious about the bicycle option, but my commute is 35-40 miles per day, and I'll soon have two kids to take to day care, etc.

My theory all along was to drive the Accord until the wheels fall off. It just seems like the M3 doesn't get that much love since I keep the car seat(s) in the Accord.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Not sure if you were serious about the bicycle option, but my commute is 35-40 miles per day, and I'll soon have two kids to take to day care, etc.

My theory all along was to drive the Accord until the wheels fall off. It just seems like the M3 doesn't get that much love since I keep the car seat(s) in the Accord.
My friend, you made a decision to get a weekend car for selfish entertainment when you got the M3 coupe rather than the sedan. Enjoy it for what it is, a reminder of what its like to be single. As long as your wife let you keep the M3 use it to enjoy a little quiet time and listen to the wonderful sound of the V8 without kids screaming. Keep your Honda, it's the greatest DD there is.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
United_States
Rep
Drives: ^^^^^

I regret selling my honda when I got my benz. I sold it because I found myself not drivingi t much, but then regretfully realized it's nice to have a beater car for business trips, parking at the airport, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

beater cars are amazing... absolutely necessary imo
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
My friend, you made a decision to get a weekend car for selfish entertainment when you got the M3 coupe rather than the sedan. Enjoy it for what it is, a reminder of what its like to be single. As long as your wife let you keep the M3 use it to enjoy a little quiet time and listen to the wonderful sound of the V8 without kids screaming. Keep your Honda, it's the greatest DD there is.
Well, when I got the M3, we only had one kid, no firm plans for another

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
I regret selling my honda when I got my benz. I sold it because I found myself not drivingi t much, but then regretfully realized it's nice to have a beater car for business trips, parking at the airport, etc.
I have always been the one to advocate a beater/DD. I was just thinking I could maximize the resell value of the Honda right now (as well as minimize any expensive repairs that might crop up over the next 2-3 years) if I sell it now rather than 3 years from now.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have always been the one to advocate a beater/DD. I was just thinking I could maximize the resell value of the Honda right now (as well as minimize any expensive repairs that might crop up over the next 2-3 years) if I sell it now rather than 3 years from now.
True, I had my rationale for selling my Honda as well. But later regretted it when I started to travel more for work. I brought it up to you as food for thought. It may be something you want to consider in your decision making process. You don't know what you have until you don't have it anymore...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, I had my rationale for selling my Honda as well. But later regretted it when I started to travel more for work. I brought it up to you as food for thought. It may be something you want to consider in your decision making process. You don't know what you have until you don't have it anymore...
Luckily my work situation is static, just a standard commute every day. But, the commute can be a bit rough, which is why I justified keeping a DD in the first place. I've been considering taking the M3 to work more often, but that means investing in another "set" of car seats, as I typically pick up my daughter from school. I just cringe at the thought of buying yet another car seat(s)!

Selling the Honda would mean an easy/quick $10K towards the F80 The alternative is keep it for 3 years, get $5K or less out of it at that time, and maybe have to dump some $$ into it for a major repair. I haven't absolutely convinced myself to sell it soon, just something has been at the top of my mind for the past few months.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
United_States
Rep

Keeping the Honda justifies the need to buy the recaro baby seats
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Like others have said, keep the Accord. A beater is always good to have.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
bris2013m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was given a loaner for up to 90 days when I ordered my M3. But I bought it over seas through the military sales with Bavarian motors. They gave me a 135i until I rotated back to the states total loaner was month and a week.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
I cannot imagine life without a beater.
      08-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Beater!

Both my cars are beaters, but the negative stigma of calling them 'beaters' aside, I am glad that I have them!

Walking 70 miles per day would suck
      08-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Hey Sam,

I get what you're thinking. We recently decided to sell a (great condition) '06 Acura TSX which would have made for a fabulous "beater", so to speak. (although I'd have a hard time thinking of it that way)

Logically, it makes a lot of sense to keep a car you know well, that is probably going to be very reliable and inexpensive to maintain, etc. If you were to buy another one, you might (or probably) end up paying more when all is said and done.

But our choice was not solely based on "logic" and since then, we've been sharing one car, so now I have some experience with that.

The Acura was still in its "prime" so to speak as a used car. In other words, the value of the car was still such that it would allow us to reach a significant financial milestone by the time my M3 arrives. That was so motivating, it over-rode the "logic" of keeping the car.

We've been able to share one car without too much hassle, but it definitely decreases one's flexibility and we won't be able to do it for very long. I'm not stingy by any means but I've already had to pay for a day's rental once and another (very expensive) taxi ride another time and I already felt that was a waste. I couldn't imagine paying for a rental x 2-3 months (unless I had no choice).

Still, for us, it was "worth it" to sell the Acura at that time. But I still think a beater is a good idea... so here's my (personal) plan..... (Now that our financial goal is going to be reached several months earlier), I'm going to start saving... for another "beater"! But not another family sedan! A fun little car that I could use as a track toy too. So... putting that idea out there as another possibility for a "beater" you could use between ED and redelivery.
      08-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keeping the Honda justifies the need to buy the recaro baby seats
Man I already have Recaros in both the Accord and my wife's CR-V! See pic below

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Like others have said, keep the Accord. A beater is always good to have.
That's why I've kept it all along. When you wash the M3, and it rains like crazy on Monday, just take the beater to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris2013m3 View Post
I was given a loaner for up to 90 days when I ordered my M3. But I bought it over seas through the military sales with Bavarian motors. They gave me a 135i until I rotated back to the states total loaner was month and a week.
That is a sweet deal. Never heard of any domestic dealer offering that, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
I cannot imagine life without a beater.
As mentioned above, it does have benefits. I'm a bit worried about any major repairs, though. A co-worker with a very similar Accord to my own just had her A/C go out, and was quoted $1200 to fix. I'd be pretty pissed if that happened anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Hey Sam,

I get what you're thinking. We recently decided to sell a (great condition) '06 Acura TSX which would have made for a fabulous "beater", so to speak. (although I'd have a hard time thinking of it that way)

Logically, it makes a lot of sense to keep a car you know well, that is probably going to be very reliable and inexpensive to maintain, etc. If you were to buy another one, you might (or probably) end up paying more when all is said and done.

But our choice was not solely based on "logic" and since then, we've been sharing one car, so now I have some experience with that.

The Acura was still in its "prime" so to speak as a used car. In other words, the value of the car was still such that it would allow us to reach a significant financial milestone by the time my M3 arrives. That was so motivating, it over-rode the "logic" of keeping the car.

We've been able to share one car without too much hassle, but it definitely decreases one's flexibility and we won't be able to do it for very long. I'm not stingy by any means but I've already had to pay for a day's rental once and another (very expensive) taxi ride another time and I already felt that was a waste. I couldn't imagine paying for a rental x 2-3 months (unless I had no choice).

Still, for us, it was "worth it" to sell the Acura at that time. But I still think a beater is a good idea... so here's my (personal) plan..... (Now that our financial goal is going to be reached several months earlier), I'm going to start saving... for another "beater"! But not another family sedan! A fun little car that I could use as a track toy too. So... putting that idea out there as another possibility for a "beater" you could use between ED and redelivery.
'06 TSX is a sweet car, not that far removed from my Accord. Yes, I feel the Accord is in it's "prime" used-selling price potential, especially considering the market, it's age and condition. Fortunately, the is an extra car, so I don't have to worry about sharing with my wife, regardless of my ultimate decision.

Be sure and post pics of your new M!!!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
That's why I've kept it all along. When you wash the M3, and it rains like crazy on Monday, just take the beater to work
That's why my M doesn't even have wipers.
Appreciate 0