BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Upgraded 6MT Shifter

I've done some searching, and haven't really come to a final, answer-all solution. I've got a 6MT and the shifter has to be my top complaint with driving the car. It feels very rubbery and imprecise. The stick height is about perfect (that's what she said), but shortening the throw by about 25% (not a crucial thing for me, but would be nice) and giving me some confidence in what I'm doing while shifting would greatly improve my love for the driving experience. Would some different bushings fix this? Do we need a whole new shifter? If a new shifter is in need, what's a good one to go after?

Car is a 2011 E90.

Thanks,
Tyler
Appreciate 2
nsogiba325.00
      11-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

There is only one place to go for a street driven M3 if you want to improve the shifter: AutoSolutions. This is backed by an overwhelming number of M3 owners

One day this guy will retire and M3 owners will be screwed.

Do not be fooled by the archaic website. When you call the number listed there you get the owner who does all the work himself.
http://autosolutions.net/

I also got the weighted M5 shifter knob which is illuminated.

While you're at it you may want to get the UCP clutch pedal which is pretty awesome as well.
Appreciate 3
Maxf80M3174.00
//steve\\1074.00
      11-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
There is only one place to go for a street driven M3 if you want to improve the shifter: AutoSolutions. This is backed by an overwhelming number of M3 owners

One day this guy will retire and M3 owners will be screwed.

Do not be fooled by the archaic website. When you call the number listed there you get the owner who does all the work himself.
http://autosolutions.net/

I also got the weighted M5 shifter knob which is illuminated.

While you're at it you may want to get the UCP clutch pedal which is pretty awesome as well.
Archaic indeed. Is the website that outdated or do they not offer anything beyond E46? I'm a numbers and math guy, so I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the technical portion of the site. Provided a much better insight on how the shifter truly works. Thanks!

Why the UCP clutch pedal? I haven't really had any complaints with my OEM pedal in the last...whatever miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Archaic indeed. Is the website that outdated or do they not offer anything beyond E46? I'm a numbers and math guy, so I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the technical portion of the site. Provided a much better insight on how the shifter truly works. Thanks!

Why the UCP clutch pedal? I haven't really had any complaints with my OEM pedal in the last...whatever miles.
I had their kit on the E46M and loved every minute of the 100k miles I drove with it. I prefer it to a 997 GT3 shifter, so it's really saying a lot.

I also have it on my 6MT 2013 M3. It's as good as the E46 kit.

The website hasn't been updated in a long time but they offer stuff for the F8X and the E9X.

I suggest you go with the lowest possible reduction unless you want to use a tall shift knob.

I had 30% on the E46M and it would work well with a Jaffster and the stock broomstick. With a shorter knob it was just too much reduction
On the E92 I wanted to use a shorter knob so I got a ~10% which is just perfect
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had their kit on the E46M and loved every minute of the 100k miles I drove with it. I prefer it to a 997 GT3 shifter, so it's really saying a lot.

I also have it on my 6MT 2013 M3. It's as good as the E46 kit.

The website hasn't been updated in a long time but they offer stuff for the F8X and the E9X.

I suggest you go with the lowest possible reduction unless you want to use a tall shift knob.

I had 30% on the E46M and it would work well with a Jaffster and the stock broomstick. With a shorter knob it was just too much reduction
On the E92 I wanted to use a shorter knob so I got a ~10% which is just perfect
What differences are made for the E9x? I would like more-or-less a "plug and play" type of setup for a shifter just because of laziness. The car is something that's intended to be driven every day, so I don't need something like I've had in race cars in the past, but more just a sizable improvement to give me a good mechanical feel with relative ease without making it a bear to shift.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
What differences are made for the E9x? I would like more-or-less a "plug and play" type of setup for a shifter just because of laziness. The car is something that's intended to be driven every day, so I don't need something like I've had in race cars in the past, but more just a sizable improvement to give me a good mechanical feel with relative ease without making it a bear to shift.
On the E46 they also had to change an additional piece to make it feel right

The E9X is a pretty simple install and does not require that part. Ronald refuses to build it in fact.

We did the install on jackstands after a track day, right in the paddock. It's much easier than the E46 install kit.

The CAE shifter would be for 'racing'. The AS one is the best you can buy for a street car.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

The UCP will shorten the clutch throw length, and combined with a zcp knob or an F10 m5 setup, you will notice the ability to make quicker shifts right away. I did these 2 mods and immediately noticed a difference, but I bought the car with 37k miles and did those 2 mods at around 43k miles (now at 53k) I recently purchased a shifter refresh kit from ECS tuning but it is difficult to find a good indy shop in the central valley here in Cali to install it. Hopefully the Teflon shifter bushings will lead to smoother shifts. I'll post results when I get it done.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #8
McSwine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Autosolutions, absolutely. I got in contact with Ronald and told him I wanted something on the conservative side. Got a slightly shorter, 12% reduction shifter and I'm completely satisfied. It fixed the one glaring fault I had with my M3.
Appreciate 3
      11-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On the E46 they also had to change an additional piece to make it feel right

The E9X is a pretty simple install and does not require that part. Ronald refuses to build it in fact.

We did the install on jackstands after a track day, right in the paddock. It's much easier than the E46 install kit.

The CAE shifter would be for 'racing'. The AS one is the best you can buy for a street car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwine View Post
Autosolutions, absolutely. I got in contact with Ronald and told him I wanted something on the conservative side. Got a slightly shorter, 12% reduction shifter and I'm completely satisfied. It fixed the one glaring fault I had with my M3.
With it being Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving!) and no real information for the E9x on the website, are you saying that there are different tiers to Ronald's shifters? Something that's tailored to each request?

I was hoping to maybe toss the car on jackstands and go at it from the bottom and inside the car as needed. Instructions (albeit they are for older cars) depict the need to drop exhaust, disconnect the driveshaft, etc. Looks to be pretty intensive.

I certainly want to change more than just the shift rod. It is glaringly obvious that the bushings and connectors are the big fault as to why the shift feeling is sub par. But I also want this to be a "do it and forget it" modification. I don't want to get done and say, "damn, I wish I would have gone a little further and changed XYZ out while I was in there." It's not a race car, but it will spend 2% of its life out on AutoX tracks and spirited mountain runs, so I do want it to be track worthy.

Thanks everyone for your help. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #10
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
The UCP will shorten the clutch throw length, and combined with a zcp knob or an F10 m5 setup, you will notice the ability to make quicker shifts right away. I did these 2 mods and immediately noticed a difference, but I bought the car with 37k miles and did those 2 mods at around 43k miles (now at 53k) I recently purchased a shifter refresh kit from ECS tuning but it is difficult to find a good indy shop in the central valley here in Cali to install it. Hopefully the Teflon shifter bushings will lead to smoother shifts. I'll post results when I get it done.
I'm reading into the Ultimate Clutch Pedal right now and like what I see. I think I'll go after the shifter for now and circle back to the UCP. Installation looks like a breeze, too. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
With it being Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving!) and no real information for the E9x on the website, are you saying that there are different tiers to Ronald's shifters? Something that's tailored to each request?

I was hoping to maybe toss the car on jackstands and go at it from the bottom and inside the car as needed. Instructions (albeit they are for older cars) depict the need to drop exhaust, disconnect the driveshaft, etc. Looks to be pretty intensive.

I certainly want to change more than just the shift rod. It is glaringly obvious that the bushings and connectors are the big fault as to why the shift feeling is sub par. But I also want this to be a "do it and forget it" modification. I don't want to get done and say, "damn, I wish I would have gone a little further and changed XYZ out while I was in there." It's not a race car, but it will spend 2% of its life out on AutoX tracks and spirited mountain runs, so I do want it to be track worthy.

Thanks everyone for your help. Very helpful.
Yes. When you call the number on the website you talk directly to him, so you explain what you're looking for.

I suggest getting the 12% McSwine has. I got a custom 7 or 10% IIRC and I love it.

Just come to a VIR track day over Labor Day weekend in 2018 and my brother and I will install yours right in the paddock.

On the E9X it's much easier than the E46 as you don't have to drop half the car. Regardless, if you don't want to DIY you just ask a shop to do it.

The AS kit will have 100% of the parts you need. There is no 'ultimate' version of the E9X kit. He'll explain it far better than me.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I'm reading into the Ultimate Clutch Pedal right now and like what I see. I think I'll go after the shifter for now and circle back to the UCP. Installation looks like a breeze, too. Thanks!
UCP is nice and the install is done with the car on the floor, however, the difference is much smaller than the SSK
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

I wish I knew what you guys were talking about. I need to find one around these parts that has this shifter installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

The stock action and precision of the e92 M3 is much improved over that of the e46 M3, on which I felt I needed a SSK, in that case the Rogue version. For me, the fix for the e92 was an ZHP weighted knob to reduce rubbery-ness and fresh transmission oil to reduce notchy-ness. The action of the e92 is now is comparable the modified e46. Maybe a slightly longer throw.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Check out this post about how to fix all manner of shifting problems including links to new shifters.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...otchy+shifting

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 1
MT13544.50
      11-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #16
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

Quote:
I've done some searching, and haven't really come to a final, answer-all solution. I've got a 6MT and the shifter has to be my top complaint with driving the car. It feels very rubbery and imprecise. The stick height is about perfect (that's what she said), but shortening the throw by about 25% (not a crucial thing for me, but would be nice) and giving me some confidence in what I'm doing while shifting would greatly improve my love for the driving experience. Would some different bushings fix this? Do we need a whole new shifter? If a new shifter is in need, what's a good one to go after?

Car is a 2011 E90.

Thanks,
Tyler
Good meeting up with you on the tail.

I've been circling for a solution to this exact issue for about a year now. Between all the good/bad reviews of the SSK options and replacement with a ZHP weighted shifter, I believe the AutoSolutions shifter maybe the way to go. I wonder if there is a group buy for this. Also install looks to be a PIA and I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing working on it. I'll reach out to a few shops around ATL to see if they can do this properly.

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #17
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
No problem, I hope you like how it feels. I love it but I'm not a fan of the short throw shifters. I had one on my sti and I started wishing the shifter throw length was longer. I feel like it's the perfect length (for me) with the weighted zhp knob, and the UCP makes things have a much tighter feel overall.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel14 View Post
Good meeting up with you on the tail.

I've been circling for a solution to this exact issue for about a year now. Between all the good/bad reviews of the SSK options and replacement with a ZHP weighted shifter, I believe the AutoSolutions shifter maybe the way to go. I wonder if there is a group buy for this. Also install looks to be a PIA and I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing working on it. I'll reach out to a few shops around ATL to see if they can do this properly.
I'm actually talking with Ronald @ AutoSolutions right now. It is literally a tailored shifter that will be exactly what you want with no change in price. You want a 34% reduction in throw? Got it. You want a 1/2" shorter stick? No problem. It's pretty great and their customer service is nuts. I've probably had 10 phone calls from Ronald and multiple E-mails to answer any and all questions. The shifters are made to order and sounds like they're able to pump them out within a couple weeks upon order receipt.

I'm doin' it. After speaking with Ronald, I think I'm planning on 16% reduced throw and increasing the stick length by 6mm so that I can use it with a ZHP weighted knob (which is about half an inch lower) to achieve a total reduction of roughly 6mm in knob height from stock.

I have been using Markert for everything on my car so far with good results. Will be using them for a preemptive rod bearing replacement with BE bearings here pretty soon, but I may try to tackle this shifter change in my garage if I have time. Ronald says they are a big PITA for the E46 cars, but it's not bad for the E9x since there is quite a bit more room. Says it could probably be done within 2-3 hours in your driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
No problem, I hope you like how it feels. I love it but I'm not a fan of the short throw shifters. I had one on my sti and I started wishing the shifter throw length was longer. I feel like it's the perfect length (for me) with the weighted zhp knob, and the UCP makes things have a much tighter feel overall.
My biggest complaint with short shifters is not the throw length, but the actual shifter height. I've been in some cars where it feels like I'm digging down into the transmission just to make a shift. Silly.

How do you like the ZHP knob? I've read great reviews about it. Is it still illuminated like the factory one? Or am I going to have some loose/unplugged wires when it comes time to change this out? I really dislike the existing shift knob.

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 11-29-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #19
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually talking with Ronald @ AutoSolutions right now. It is literally a tailored shifter that will be exactly what you want with no change in price. You want a 34% reduction in throw? Got it. You want a 1/2" shorter stick? No problem. It's pretty great and their customer service is nuts. I've probably had 10 phone calls from Ronald and multiple E-mails to answer any and all questions. The shifters are made to order and sounds like they're able to pump them out within a couple weeks upon order receipt.

I'm doin' it. After speaking with Ronald, I think I'm planning on 16% reduced throw and increasing the stick length by 12mm so that I can use it with a ZHP weighted knob (which is about half an inch lower) to achieve a total reduction of roughly 6mm in knob height from stock.

I have been using Markert for everything on my car so far with good results. Will be using them for a preemptive rod bearing replacement with BE bearings here pretty soon, but I may try to tackle this shifter change in my garage if I have time. Ronald says they are a big PITA for the E46 cars, but it's not bad for the E9x since there is quite a bit more room. Says it could probably be done within 2-3 hours in your driveway.

My biggest complaint with short shifters is not the throw length, but the actual shifter height. I've been in some cars where it feels like I'm digging down into the transmission just to make a shift. Silly.

How do you like the ZHP knob? I've read great reviews about it. Is it still illuminated like the factory one? Or am I going to have some loose/unplugged wires when it comes time to change this out? I really dislike the existing shift knob.
Ronald is quite awesome

I have around a 10% throw with a taller shifter so that with a M5 knob the height is pretty much like stock.

The M5 knob is illuminated, so I retrofitted that onto the M3 leather boot and love the result.

The install is a lot easier than you think it is. Not even in the same realm as the rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ronald is quite awesome

I have around a 10% throw with a taller shifter so that with a M5 knob the height is pretty much like stock.

The M5 knob is illuminated, so I retrofitted that onto the M3 leather boot and love the result.

The install is a lot easier than you think it is. Not even in the same realm as the rod bearings.
Is 10% pretty noticeable? We came up with 16%, but I'm concerned that it may be too much.

Ronald made mention of a couple guys that changed theirs in the paddock after a race. Must have been you!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Is 10% pretty noticeable? We came up with 16%, but I'm concerned that it may be too much.

Ronald made mention of a couple guys that changed theirs in the paddock after a race. Must have been you!
Hehe it was us for sure! Regular people aren't crazy enough to mess with a shifter on a car they drove to the track... 250 miles away

I notice it, but what I notice most is the added crispness. I don't really want shorter throws, I want precision.

You'll be fine with the 16%
Appreciate 3
K-M390.50
L4ces337.00
      12-01-2017, 01:43 AM   #22
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm doin' it. After speaking with Ronald, I think I'm planning on 16% reduced throw and increasing the stick length by 6mm so that I can use it with a ZHP weighted knob (which is about half an inch lower) to achieve a total reduction of roughly 6mm in knob height from stock.

Yes indeed the existing shift knob is tall, awkward and weightless. The zcp knob does not illuminate, but the setup ftom the F10 m5 does illuminate and will work on the e9x m3. I love the zcp knob and you will have some loose capped wires. The heft is nice and the height is perfect. Like SYT Shadow states he doesn't want a shorter shift necessarilly, just precision. I feel that is what the zcp knob brings to the table.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50