BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway37 View Post
Franchesca sold me mine very end of Feb. You didn't know there was a frozen grey just sittin on their lot? I couldn't believe my luck, and now she's mine (not the girl)! Would be cool to see another in this area, but then again I'd prob think you had one of the limited 2011 versions as I sure can't tell the diff other than the interior.
well, i put my build order in on March...so i never knew what they had on their lot in February. by the time i got their they had only one M3....an E93 in MB red.

they did have a Sakir Orange M5...which i was close to getting

anyhoo....no , i never had a limited 2011 version, just this 2013 one...which hasn't even been built yet. i believe i'm set to go into production the last week of May.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
i could've done that...but chose to come here. this place is a wealth of information and a great collection of real life experiences. i've learned a hell of a lot in the short time i've been on here.

am i wrong in that assessment?
Like anything else on the internet and in forums like these, you have to take what you read with a chestnut-sized grain of salt. Nobody here is going to say their $5k paint job is a nightmare to maintain or it's crap. You'll only get positive responses.

I'd contact some good body shops, and get an opinion of someone who's actually had to repair the paint and give tips as to its maintenance.
      05-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #25
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
......I had a discussion with one of our ///M-Flight members the other week about our Frozen Paint and he brought up that it must be a pain in the ass to take care of. I asked about where he got this info from and of course referenced a couple threads on this forum...then I asked him a couple questions...if a bird took a dump on your gloss painted M3...would you let it sit on the paint or would you remove it as quickly as possible? And of course he said he's remove it as quick as possible. Next question was..after a drive...you noticed quite a few bug splatter on your bumper and mirrors...would you let those sit there or would you clean it up as soon as convenient? Again...he said he'd clean it up as soon as possible. Then I said...hmmm sounds like the same thing us Frozen Paint owners will do.......
great answer!

i have to remember that the next time i hear someone bitching to me about frozen paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #26
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Like anything else on the internet and in forums like these, you have to take what you read with a chestnut-sized grain of salt. Nobody here is going to say their $5k paint job is a nightmare to maintain or it's crap. You'll only get positive responses.

I'd contact some good body shops, and get an opinion of someone who's actually had to repair the paint and give tips as to its maintenance.
that's a very good point about internet forums. but, as in the situation with this topic, you don't find all the answers to be the same. so far in this thread....yes. but there are dissenting opinions out there. this is a M3 lovers forum....and you have varying opinions here for sure.

i'm pretty hopeful that i can get some objective assessments here as opposed to Rose colored lenses fair tales.

however, i will contact some body shops to get their take on repairs to this type of paint job and even their opinions on maintenance.

thanks for keepin' it real.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
that's a very good point about internet forums. but, as in the situation with this topic, you don't find all the answers to be the same. so far in this thread....yes. but there are dissenting opinions out there. this is a M3 lovers forum....and you have varying opinions here for sure.

i'm pretty hopeful that i can get some objective assessments here as opposed to Rose colored lenses fair tales.

however, i will contact some body shops to get their take on repairs to this type of paint job and even their opinions on maintenance.

thanks for keepin' it real.
It is fantastic looking paint, I'll say that much.
      05-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Frozen Grey here.

Its very simple. Our paints are not matte, first off. Matte colors do not reflect light but only absorb it. Frozen paints have a satin finish. This makes the finish look more metal and expensive than a matte, which can look like plastic.

Maintenance is simple and logical. I treat it as I would any of my cars. I never let them get too dirty, I rinse and rinse and rinse before actually washing with the sponge. I use swissvax bath and dry with a leaf blower. I only use a drying cloth to pass the exterior to make sure there that are no water spots left. I have not yet tried the "matte" swissvax product but have recently ordered a bottle.

Sap, bird droppings, bugs... are treated as soon as possible (within reason). The paint gets its satin finish from the textured surface. Light directly bounces off the clear coat finishes on standard paints from its super smooth surface. Bugs, bird droppings and everything else gets in between these textures. That's why its good to apply a softener and clean these occurrences before they harden and bond between the paints texture. I always have a bottle of softener and cloth available. Especially after driving warp speed in a group.

Best of luck, safe driving and enjoy your unique whips. If anyone tells you different, its cause they're mad.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Those frozen colors really do a great job of showing off all the lines or the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #30
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
What would be seriously cool to know is exactly how many of our frozen colors were actually sold in the U.S.

I know 30 greys were in 2011, 40 silvers to follow, and 250 red, white, and blue's in 2013. But what about the bronze and black editions? I have a 2013 grey, so I wonder how often BMW allows these editions to be approved?

I just wanna know how many frozen grey M3s are in the U.S.!
You missed the 19 Frozen Black's in the summer of 2011!

I had one for 18 months and it was very easy to take care of! A frozen white M6 GC could be in the future!!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Those frozen colors really do a great job of showing off all the lines or the car.
that's exactly why i'm so drawn to the frozen colors.

i always liked the sculpted planes on the E9x and the nice lines and angles that defined the subtly. the matt/frozen paint job takes that to the next level.

it really shows off that masculine side of the car's design.

i dig that.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #32
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
....Sap, bird droppings, bugs... are treated as soon as possible (within reason).......
can you elaborate on that?

see, i think this is one of the most contentious parts of BMW's frozen paint care mandate....the one that freaks people out the most.

what is "soon as possible" or "within reason" to you (or any of you frozen car owners)?

to me, it means when i get back home or maybe several hours after that.

if it happened to be a lot of bird sh*t or a swarm of bugs....on a real hot day...i'd use one of those products to soften the crap. wouldn't mind having a bottle of that in my trunk.

to me that's "reasonable"....and i'd do the same if it was a gloss paint job. i guess my point is that the care to both paint jobs, in this matter, are the same.

please correct me if i'm wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
gr1zly
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: M3 Frozen Blue

I've picked up my M3 Frozen BLUE month ago.
Before picking it up first I order car spa for some protection.
They did Quartz paint protection by GtechniQ, spoke with a guy who done it and he told me that most importnat think is not to use Automatic Car wash.
So result while I was driving on rain! WOW, water is moving out of car that is awesome!

No side effect till now will post some pics after weekend

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #34
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr1zly
I've picked up my M3 Frozen BLUE month ago.
Before picking it up first I order car spa for some protection.
They did Quartz paint protection by GtechniQ, spoke with a guy who done it and he told me that most importnat think is not to use Automatic Car wash.
So result while I was driving on rain! WOW, water is moving out of car that is awesome!

No side effect till now will post some pics after weekend
Nice!
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #35
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
....Sap, bird droppings, bugs... are treated as soon as possible (within reason).......
can you elaborate on that?

see, i think this is one of the most contentious parts of BMW's frozen paint care mandate....the one that freaks people out the most.

what is "soon as possible" or "within reason" to you (or any of you frozen car owners)?

to me, it means when i get back home or maybe several hours after that.

if it happened to be a lot of bird sh*t or a swarm of bugs....on a real hot day...i'd use one of those products to soften the crap. wouldn't mind having a bottle of that in my trunk.

to me that's "reasonable"....and i'd do the same if it was a gloss paint job. i guess my point is that the care to both paint jobs, in this matter, are the same.

please correct me if i'm wrong here.
I completely agree with you. My paranoia comes from the frozen's surface "course" texture relative to gloss' "smooth" surface. An object stuck on our paints need a lil more precaution and TLC, to be on the safe side. In conclusion maintenance is similar or the same as gloss finishes.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #36
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP/E92/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post

BS: I most certainly would be honest. I was initially afraid of buying my car due to it's "unique" paint; however, I will clearly state that it's been the BEST decision I've EVER made. It's super easy to maintain with 1/2 the effort, and the responses it gets are amazing. I have people just walking by and snapping pics with their phones.
I didn't buy the car for notoriety: I bought it because it's the last NA S65 ever, and I had NO idea the attention it would get.

Apply Expel Stealth PPF and you're good to go!
To each his/her own.
      05-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #37
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
BS: I most certainly would be honest. I was initially afraid of buying my car due to it's "unique" paint; however, I will clearly state that it's been the BEST decision I've EVER made. It's super easy to maintain with 1/2 the effort, and the responses it gets are amazing. I have people just walking by and snapping pics with their phones.
I didn't buy the car for notoriety: I bought it because it's the last NA S65 ever, and I had NO idea the attention it would get.

Apply Expel Stealth PPF and you're good to go!
To each his/her own.
NO. Nobody here knows you, anyone who takes advice like this without seeing or researching the paint before is crazy.
      06-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #38
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have a frozen blue M3, and generally washing is easy, just hose it down often and it'll look good. It looks amazing at night time, but once you get scratches on it, its over. I have a few scratches on mine and I have no idea what to do about it. I am not a fan of the idea of getting it repainted. the scratches are long and are apparent in direct sunlight. It is not apparent at night however. The scratch is very shallow, but still visible. I am wondering if swissvax or dr beasley's wax could hide it. Anyone with frozen paint that have scratches, please chime in. I know it is unlikely to have one without any scratches at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #39
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt.BLU View Post
I have a frozen blue M3, and generally washing is easy, just hose it down often and it'll look good. It looks amazing at night time, but once you get scratches on it, its over. I have a few scratches on mine and I have no idea what to do about it. I am not a fan of the idea of getting it repainted. the scratches are long and are apparent in direct sunlight. It is not apparent at night however. The scratch is very shallow, but still visible. I am wondering if swissvax or dr beasley's wax could hide it. Anyone with frozen paint that have scratches, please chime in. I know it is unlikely to have one without any scratches at all.
Not necessarily an answer to your question, but BMW will be releasing a "touch up kit" in the near future for Frozen paint...hopefully it wont blob up and require "semi-professional" paint techniques to apply, but might be an alternative to full panel repainting. I've got a couple nicks here and there from spirited driving on the Autobahn...the front is fully wrapped in Broxafol paint protection film for matte/frozen paint...but still managed to get a couple random "scratches" that only I notice...hopefully this future BMW product works out.
      06-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #40
HansW
Private
Rep
Drives: looking for an E46 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
He guys thesis is a great YouTube video about frozen paint care. Have a look, it is pretty simple and informative, plus expaplains the paint process etc.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #41
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not necessarily an answer to your question, but BMW will be releasing a "touch up kit" in the near future for Frozen paint...hopefully it wont blob up and require "semi-professional" paint techniques to apply, but might be an alternative to full panel repainting. I've got a couple nicks here and there from spirited driving on the Autobahn...the front is fully wrapped in Broxafol paint protection film for matte/frozen paint...but still managed to get a couple random "scratches" that only I notice...hopefully this future BMW product works out.
That is quite interesting, where did you find this information about the release of a TouchUp kit for frozen paint?

Though it probably won't help my long scratches.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #42
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt.BLU
Quote:
That is quite interesting, where did you find this information about the release of a TouchUp kit for frozen paint?

Though it probably won't help my long scratches.
I took a visit to the the BMW owned paint and body shop in Garching, Germany and was talking to one of their senior body and paint techs. I had my Frozen Red car when I visited and immediately got the attention with all the staff when I pulled with the car and my girlfriend...I truly believe it was the attention my girlfriend got more than the car though 😄
      06-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #43
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I took a visit to the the BMW owned paint and body shop in Garching, Germany and was talking to one of their senior body and paint techs. I had my Frozen Red car when I visited and immediately got the attention with all the staff when I pulled with the car and my girlfriend...I truly believe it was the attention my girlfriend got more than the car though 😄
Nice, please shoot me a PM when you find out when it'll be available to us. Really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #44
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Frozen Black F87 M2 LBB

Garage List
In my opinion taking care of frozen paints is a lot easier than regular glossy finishes. First, it is a lot slicker to the touch (even though it might seem that it is more porous), then the bugs and dirt just flies off with a little spray with a water hose. I waxed mine with a SwissVax product specifically designed for this type of paints. I had a Jerez Black E90 M3 and that was a nightmare to maintain. Swirl marks, micro scratches, etc were showing so easy. You do not have that on a frozen finish, they might be there, but the way the light reflects off the surface makes it invisible.

Here is my post I made while back

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619371

Follow me on Insta: M3Piotr
Appreciate 0