BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
ROADKING36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: wanted 09 M3

To CLEARBRA or Not to CLEARBRA>>>>

I just purchased my 2009 AW M3 which is an absolute dream car and the dealer offered to clearbra it for $805. This is my daily driver, so I am leaning toward doing it. They said they use the best stuff, 3M. What is everyones experience and opinions with this? Thanks so much for everyones help.
Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADKING36 View Post
I just purchased my 2009 AW M3 which is an absolute dream car and the dealer offered to clearbra it for $805. This is my daily driver, so I am leaning toward doing it. They said they use the best stuff, 3M. What is everyones experience and opinions with this? Thanks so much for everyones help.
Chris
from what i notice is that AW clearbra turns yellow over time, this is the reason why i decided not to do it. i compare two AW one with clearbra and one without and i can see the yellowish glow to it
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've got a AW M3 coupe with an Xpel Clearbra since Nov. 2008. The edges of the clear bra are developing dirt and won't seem to wash off. It's not that noticeable unless you're looking for it. I'll try to take more pics of the car. But here is one pic I took today.

You can barely see the edges of the clearbra on a AW car. I have the kit that goes horizontally all the way across the beginning of the hood hump, head lights, side mirrors, and entire front bumper for maximum coverage. But as you can see, the areas that have clearbra on are slightly darker (not glossy) than the rest of the paint.

However, I'm now running into this problem where some bug guts will stain the bra a slight yellow. I'll try to take close up pics of the stained bug guts later. I need to find out what kind of solution can take out the stains, if any.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
ROADKING36
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Would you do it again?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, but may not go with Xpel. May go with another brand like Ventureshield. Xpel film is made by 3M and Xpel has the longest warranty of all (5 yrs from hazing, fading, or peeling).

I would clear bra a car right when you get it. You don't want to wait too long as you may get rock chips in your bumper, and that makes the clear bra harder to install.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
ISAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW Coupe 6MT

I've had 3M clear bra on my M3 for 6 months and haven't had any problems or issues.
I am satisfied with the product thus far.
      05-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

The best material is the 3m material. Custom kits are also better then the precut kits if you want a better fit and the ability to roll many of the seams under panels. All material will yellow with age but after a few years you can replace it. I just removed a dealer installed kit from my Porsche. It was a precut kit that had a lot of seams. It certainly protected the car. When I had it removed, the paint underneath was pristine after two years. The bra was slightly yellow. Now the car has a 3m custom kit done by some of the best guys in the industry. My new M3 has an appointment ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Yes, but may not go with Xpel. May go with another brand like Ventureshield. Xpel film is made by 3M and Xpel has the longest warranty of all (5 yrs from hazing, fading, or peeling).
Keep in mind that everyone warranties the material, which costs practically nothing. The thing is, if you replace the material under warranty, you still have to pay labor to remove and install the material which is the bulk of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

I regret not doing a Clearbra or ventureshield. 4k miles and I already have a handful of nicks and chips.

Sucks...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Not sure I am a fan of clearbra, I don't like the fact that it will eventually yellow and I could never get wax and dirt out of the seams on my old car.

I would only get it if you plan on doing a lot of highway driving and you bought the car, not leased.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Only do a custom clear bra that covers your entire front bumper and hood. The pre-cut kits look like shit with the line going across the hood.
      05-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
ROADKING36
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone, I think I will do it then. Seems like there are mor positives then negatives on getting it. What is the best 3M called? The dealer is supposed to install it tomorrow. Is the venturisheild the better brand or should I just go with the dealer installed 3M?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
Captain Slow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' M3 Convertible

If your car is AW don't do it. For some reason, wheter it is a chemical reaction or whatever, protection film (3M or Ventureshield) will turn yellow, and it will happen sooner rather than later.

Let me clarify- When I say it will turn yellow, it doesn't turn into dakar yellow, rather a tint of yellowish haze appears. The "yellowing" is accentuated when the car is not spotless.

For any other color, go for it. just not with AW.

my $.02
      05-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periokid View Post
Keep in mind that everyone warranties the material, which costs practically nothing. The thing is, if you replace the material under warranty, you still have to pay labor to remove and install the material which is the bulk of the cost.
I don't think so. The warranty covers parts and labor for a new clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
ROADKING36
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Now I'm really confused. Any other AW guys out there that have clearbra experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I don't think so. The warranty covers parts and labor for a new clear bra.
Who is offering the warranty? The film company or the installer?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Anyone having issues with a clear bra on Jet Black? I really want one, but I am having second thoughts and my car is coming soon. Definitely sounds like custom is the way to go though.

Also...any issues with using a Porter Cable on a clear bra? I've read you can wax them, but also have read that they can look bad....never seen myself. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

I have it on my Balloon White G-spyder and no problems. It's been on this car for about 7000 miles and no yellowing, but it's not a daily driver. I had it done by premier www.premiermobilegroup.com.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #19
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A/W E92 M3 '08

if you drive on the highway a lot PLEASE clear bra it. Mine is white also and yes maybe itll turn yellow over time but if u keep it polished and take care of it it will slow the process considerably. Mine is the 3m and so far no problems. ive had it for 6 months now. Plus the 3M one i have under warranty so even if down the road it turns yellow somehow itll be easier to replace that then paint the whole front of the car. Plus if ure like most of these guys on this forum paint chips on the car drives me nuts.

Trust me clear bra it. Its a terrible feeling driving behind a huge truck and seeing rocks and what not coming out of it.

The dirt under the thing is an issue though but whatever. Id much rather deal with a small spots of dirt under the edges than more rock chips.
      05-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

Yeah, I've definitely seen some weird yellowing of clear bra/rock guarding before. I do have a 3m clearbra on mine but it's a custom install. I have the whole bumper, headlights and part of the hood.

It's definitely noticeable up close but I don't think it ruins the look of the car. Make sure you get a custom job done with a really good installer. If they do their job right, you'll barely notice the clearbra. Also make sure to voice your concern about yellowing and get it warrantied for parts and labor against that and any other defects.
      05-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

FWIW, I took euro delivery of my Audi S5 last fall and got a couple HUGE chunks taken out of my hood. I'm taking euro delivery of my AW M3 in a few months and I will be taking some pre-cut clear bra pieces with me to install myself when I get there. I don't care if it looks unprofessional, I'd rather have that than another rock hit me while i'm doing 140 on the autobahn.... If it sucks, take it off, but I HATE chips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #22
E92M3Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 M3

Hands down the best people for custom clear bra.
http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/

If you go do a search, these guys do full clear bra wraps on Ferraris, Lambos, CCX, and many other cars. They do M3s alot as well, they are the best in the business. While some guys do precut stuff, these guys do all free hand and won't slice your paint like alot of other amateurs that only have a handful of hours done.
Appreciate 0