BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #23
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I researched this and the gt4 car uses an oil diverter so I believe there is truth to the epic/bimmerworld unit. If iymts a track only car I'd do it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #24
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

P.s if anyone goes in there to install you might as well replace that oil housing gasket that tends to go bad on the e90s. Forgetting the exact name at the moment
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #25
LastMCar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY View Post
P.s if anyone goes in there to install you might as well replace that oil housing gasket that tends to go bad on the e90s. Forgetting the exact name at the moment
The Oil Diverter valve removes the thermo sensor from the oil flow, thus increasing flow making for faster heat exchange. I have this mod with the thermostat, and although I don’t have track data, I can say that I have seen dramatic cooling gains in hard driving with 100+ ambient temps in Vegas. The mod does take a few hours. Your supercharged does not impact the difficulty of the job. I would suggest also upgrading to the Ford GT, Dodge Viper THERmostat at the sane time, they are in a similar area, and doing the thermostat makes for easier access to the oil filter housing. See my thread in the Diverter valve.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i wonder if a solution could be produced that could provide the benefits of this diverter, while keeping an oem-like warm up. like a thermostat with a larger valve once its opened... seems like the flow itself is what is beneficial rather than it just being open 100% of the time.