BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #23
mj157681
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 JZB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
SAs are not always technical guys. They are mostly sales people -- speak to the actual technician(s) if you want to get some details.
Yep I understand that. But when I went they were almost closing shop. When I go to meet with the SA when dropping or picking up car can I talk to the actual techs? I thought they don't encourage this at the dealership right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Just relax. The car was probably idling and being driven around town for a few minutes, which would obviously be below 17.5mpg. I drive in downtown Chicago all the time and when I'm going from light-to-light I'm barely managing 10mpg.

If this dealer isn't meeting your needs, find another.
If I am not mistaken the trip computer shows the average mpg over the no. of miles driven on that trip. So for the average mpg to drop by 2 mpg's over a course of 5 miles doesn't look normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #24
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj157681 View Post
No. I am at 38k and thought I will do it around the 50k mark. But now I am planning to do it at the next oil change.

BTW when I went to pick my car up I told the SA that the heat expansion theory was BS and I don't buy it. He just gave me a smile. He said BMW will not pay them to go deeper to open up the engine or do the bearings until an issue is found. He said drive the car hard and if something is wrong it will get worse within the next 2 months.

Another thing I am completely pissed about is they said they test drove the car for 5 miles but when I look at the trip computer the mpg has dropped to 15.8 mpg. I remember resetting my trip computer at the last gas fill and had driven for around 200 miles before I dropped it at the dealer. Before dropping it off the mpg was 17.5. I am completely baffled how can it drop to 15.8 if they drove it for 5 miles. I would have to drive the shit out of the car to drop like that within 5 miles. I am so fucking pissed . It makes me sick to the stomach at the thought that those assholes could have possibly redlined my car at cold start. I have taken so much care of this car and never revved past 3k before the temp hits 210...this just fucking sucks.
chill pill, man. i think you're getting yourself worked up over nada so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #25
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj157681 View Post
Yep I understand that. But when I went they were almost closing shop. When I go to meet with the SA when dropping or picking up car can I talk to the actual techs? I thought they don't encourage this at the dealership right..

If I am not mistaken the trip computer shows the average mpg over the no. of miles driven on that trip. So for the average mpg to drop by 2 mpg's over a course of 5 miles doesn't look normal.

Sure, ask to speak to the technician. You might have to wait, but they will talk to you.

The trip computer either shows instantaneous, or "since last reset" (most people reset it when they fill the tank). If you really want to keep an eye on them, reset the average MPG as soon as you turn off the car upon arrival at the dealership.
      08-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #26
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey mate, did you ever get to the bottom of this? How's the car now? I m having the same issue.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #27
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosse92m3 View Post
Hey mate, did you ever get to the bottom of this? How's the car now? I m having the same issue.
Thanks
Still investigating your ticking mate.... The random version shown in OPs video is as you've probably seen quite common. I also had this (first time in 4y) for a short moment during the Summer. We had one crazy heat over here this year so washed it away with the common explanation: some sort of heat tick, shields or maybe headers.

There are several threads/investigations on this specific tick to be found.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #28
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Thanks
Still investigating your ticking mate.... The random version shown in OPs video is as you've probably seen quite common. I also had this (first time in 4y) for a short moment during the Summer. We had one crazy heat over here this year so washed it away with the common explanation: some sort of heat tick, shields or maybe headers.

There are several threads/investigations on this specific tick to be found.

Good luck!
Hahaha I sure am mate, like you said after reading up on it, it looks to be common, but it still has me curious as to what it could be.

What is a little concerning to me is that I ve had the rod bearing done only 500km ago and I m just hoping it's not related to that in any way.

The weather is cool here at the moment so I ll have to see how it goes.

I will also ask the shop that did the rod bearings what they think and report back to you as soon as I know.

Wish me luck:
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #29
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Hahaha I sure am mate, like you said after reading up on it, it looks to be common, but it still has me curious as to what it could be.

What is a little concerning to me is that I ve had the rod bearing done only 500km ago and I m just hoping it's not related to that in any way.

I will also ask the shop that did the rod bearings what they think and report back to you as soon as I know.

Wish me luck:
Recently went back to OEM back box and all of a sudden start hear thing I didn't before, "whats that whining..?" Haha, these cars and its bloody noises, part of the thrill and charm though! I'm sure you'll be ok mate.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #30
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:

Wish me luck:
Recently went back to OEM back box and all of a sudden start hear thing I didn't before, "whats that whining..?" Haha, these cars and its bloody noises, part of the thrill and charm though! I'm sure you'll be ok mate.
I have oem exhaust mod too
Hahah thanks mate, I will be posting a new video up on my other thread a little later on as people were asking to hear it from different angles
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #31
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So this noise is very common. I have had it since 25,000 and now have 163,000. I have done my rod bearings the 1st time at 30,000 and again at 150,000. This noise has always been there when it is hot out. I have notice that sometimes when it's ticking at a stop my idle will rise almost to 900 (like the warm up cycle) and that ticking goes away. Not by noise masking but it goes away. I wonder if low oil pressure is making one of our lifter noisy? A lifter in cylinder #8 or #4 where the engine is tucked under the cowel a little hotter than cylinders 1,2,3,5,6&7?