BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
shakywarrior
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Ext. Black

MS Pulley & Intake; CAR IS SLOWER ???

08 6 Speed
I installed the MS intake & pulley kit, and my car seems slower!!!
My mods previous to the install were, Catless X Pipe & Tune.
How it seems slower to me is, I have a buddy with an E90 M3 6 Speed, we had plenty of highway 40 punches before the Intake/Pulley install and I would start to pull away slightly in 2nd, and even harder in 3rd, by 4th I would be a good car length or 2 ahead. His mods were MS X Pipe, Esienmann Axel Backs, and Stage 1 Tune...NOW, I don't pull away until the END of 3rd but only slightly, and I can still see his car in my peripheral threw 4th and can't leave completely till the end of the gear...What could be the problem?? (Side note; even ran a bolt on 5.0 that I could keep up with till 4th pre intake/pulley, and now he leaves me as soon as he gets into 3rd gear........)

I've been thinking my tune didn't adapt well to my new mods?
I do have stock Axel backs, maybe the the exhaust is getting to much back pressure now that I am getting more air flow from the larger intake? Any suggestions or experience with this??

Last edited by shakywarrior; 07-28-2016 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

As an engineer, I'd suggest your measurement data is not very scientific. Before and after dyno runs would give you a definitive answer. The gains were not very noticeable when I did my intake/pulley. If the car truly is slower, there's probably some other issue.
      08-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakywarrior View Post
08 6 Speed
I installed the MS intake & pulley kit, and my car seems slower!!!
My mods previous to the install were, Catless X Pipe & Tune.
How it seems slower to me is, I have a buddy with an E90 M3 6 Speed, we had plenty of highway 40 punches before the Intake/Pulley install and I would start to pull away slightly in 2nd, and even harder in 3rd, by 4th I would be a good car length or 2 ahead. His mods were MS X Pipe, Esienmann Axel Backs, and Stage 1 Tune...NOW, I don't pull away until the END of 3rd but only slightly, and I can still see his car in my peripheral threw 4th and can't leave completely till the end of the gear...What could be the problem?? (Side note; even ran a bolt on 5.0 that I could keep up with till 4th pre intake/pulley, and now he leaves me as soon as he gets into 3rd gear........)

I've been thinking my tune didn't adapt well to my new mods?
I do have stock Axel backs, maybe the the exhaust is getting to much back pressure now that I am getting more air flow from the larger intake? Any suggestions or experience with this??
Intake was a waste of money. Larger diameter intake pipe decreases vaccuum pressure. The stock intake system seems to have been a priority when BMW designed the engine and car I doubt they sacrificed all that RD money just to skimp on an intake elbow for no reason. I suggest you lose the intake and go back to stock or add a filter but that's only for nicer sound
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos
As an engineer, I'd suggest your measurement data is not very scientific. Before and after dyno runs would give you a definitive answer. The gains were not very noticeable when I did my intake/pulley. If the car truly is slower, there's probably some other issue.
+1000000
      08-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
MShift
OG
Rep
Drives: MW '13 E92

Just a guess, but maybe the car is running a little lean because of the intake and the car is pulling timing?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Shaky, with ms intake you mean open box? Visited an M3 mate the other week who made a serious track build. During this they tried an open flow filter i.e. taking the air from insise the bay. Dyno before and after showed 50hp (!!!) decrease with the open filter. Kinda makes sense as instead of cool air you're sucking from inside and we all know the heat generated from the S65.

Last edited by Helmsman; 08-10-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0