BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

12-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #1365
Thrawn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Anyone else unit always on? I don’t think mine ever shuts off. Wifi range is very good too. Anytime i walk to a room on the same side of the house as the car, my phone connects to my carplay. I recently started getting a battery discharge message in the car. I think it is being caused by my battery getting older and the mr12volt always staying on.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 07:32 PM   #1366
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

[QUOTE=Thrawn;29681401]Anyone else unit always on? I don’t think mine ever shuts off. Wifi range is very good too. Anytime i walk to a room on the same side of the house as the car, my phone connects to my carplay. I recently started getting a battery discharge message in the car. I think it is being caused by my battery getting older and the mr12volt always staying on.

Yes, Sir I have the same issue. My battery is fine, but it kind of drives me nuts, as I have a nice BT system in the garage and whenever phone is near car, it bails on garage system and connects to car. A bit aggravating, let me know if you find out how to disable this.
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 12:18 AM   #1367
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I lock my door and it doesn’t try to connect.
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933144.50
drwankel1034.50
      12-30-2022, 07:27 PM   #1368
Thrawn
Private
Rep

Mine still connects, but mine is on a e70 x5 so maybe it is different.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:54 PM   #1369
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Anyone else unit always on? I don’t think mine ever shuts off. Wifi range is very good too. Anytime i walk to a room on the same side of the house as the car, my phone connects to my carplay. I recently started getting a battery discharge message in the car. I think it is being caused by my battery getting older and the mr12volt always staying on.
Disable auto connect.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 11:00 PM   #1370
Thrawn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Disable auto connect.
Thanks, but i want it to connect when ever i get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 01:05 PM   #1371
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
It takes a while for my car to go to sleep and stop trying to connect. But when it does after I lock up, I don’t get random connections. If I don’t lock up, and I’m near the garage it will grab my Bluetooth even when I’m doing something like passing by the garage to throw away trash.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 04:30 PM   #1372
sjparker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Hello folks!

Just ordered this mr12volt unit for my 2012 e92 M3 to replace another unit that I had connected via AUX and the audio quality is terrible.

I have 2 questions for those that have experience of the unit:

1) Have read all the instructions and I understand the OEM mic cannot be used. Is the supplied mic good enough, or has anyone purchased an aftermarket mic for the mr12volt kit that does a better job? (if I'm pulling the dash apart would rather get it optimal)

2) Does anyone have this installed with a reverse camera? Is there any make/model that people would recommend?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 11:37 PM   #1373
kd7iwp
Rep
Drives: 2009 E61 535i, 2001 E46 325i

I’m using the OEM mic connected to Mr12Volt via a splitter cable. Even with the car off and it silent inside, Siri has an awful time hearing me correctly. I find that I talk to Siri on my Apple Watch while driving instead as it is waaaay more successful at transcribing messages or taking my music request.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 07:23 AM   #1374
sjparker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7iwp View Post
I’m using the OEM mic connected to Mr12Volt via a splitter cable. Even with the car off and it silent inside, Siri has an awful time hearing me correctly. I find that I talk to Siri on my Apple Watch while driving instead as it is waaaay more successful at transcribing messages or taking my music request.
Thanks for the reply. I don't want to run the OEM mic for the Mr12Volt with a splitter, I'm happy using a separate mic and running it to the same location as the OEM mic. I'm just keen to know if there is an aftermarket mic that might perform better than the included one as I have read performance of the included mic is hit and miss.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 07:20 PM   #1375
YorkFieldX
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D (RHD)

Hey guys!

I've read through quite a lot of the pages in this thread which caused me some doubts about the unit. I've gotten fed up with poor audio quality on the alternative Andream/RoadTop unit which uses AUX Front hence I'm looking to either throw the box away and use factory iPod Interface with an iPhone/Apple Music or upgrade to this Mr12Volt box.

Could you guys advise if there's any known issues which haven't been fixed with the box as of today? Especially concerned about "clicking" noises I've read about on here.

If anyone on here has an iPhone with Apple Music, how's your sound quality experience as compared to the factory iPod USB Interface in the armrest?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #1376
kd7iwp
Rep
Drives: 2009 E61 535i, 2001 E46 325i

In my experience, the sound quality certainly is improved significantly over the aux-input MMI boxes. However, I personally am strongly considering going back because of what I see as other flaws.
1. In my E61 with manual trans it doesn’t detect automatically when I am in reverse, it does it when PDC is active, so when I start going forward it displays a blank reverse screen until I drive fast enough to shut it off, my old MMI could auto-detect over CAN bus when I was in reverse.
2. You MUST be in CD mode to see anything on screen, so no radio and CarPlay simultaneously unless you get radio over your LTE connection. Not cool on road trips where I don’t have data available. My MMI box previously would do sound independent of video.
3. Mr12Volt really lowers the volume a lot in reverse and you can’t turn that “feature” off.
4. On my old MMI I could press “Menu” on the idrive knob to go to the CarPlay Home Screen, not with Mr12Volt. If I go through a few menus to pick a podcast I now have to press “Back” multiple times to get back. Plus with the old box I could press and hold “Menu” to switch between CarPlay and OEM idrive screens, I miss that a lot.
5. I’m using the same OEM mic with a splitter that is used with my old MMI and while both were pretty bad at understanding me, Mr12Volt is actually a bit worse at it in my opinion.

My wife misses the old MMI since she doesn’t care about sound quality much, there are definitely features I have sacrificed going with Mr12Volt just to get better audio quality. The only other thing I appreciate about it is that I can still do coding on my CIC unit, the old MMI plugged in differently and I couldn’t program anything on it with NCS Expert.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 08:07 AM   #1377
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

Any ideas as to why “boot logo” isn’t coming up in advanced settings? From this thread I entered code “688612” as described but I’m not getting the option.
Attached Images

01-09-2023, 11:43 PM   #1378
zomski101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkFieldX View Post
Hey guys!

I've read through quite a lot of the pages in this thread which caused me some doubts about the unit. I've gotten fed up with poor audio quality on the alternative Andream/RoadTop unit which uses AUX Front hence I'm looking to either throw the box away and use factory iPod Interface with an iPhone/Apple Music or upgrade to this Mr12Volt box.

Could you guys advise if there's any known issues which haven't been fixed with the box as of today? Especially concerned about "clicking" noises I've read about on here.

If anyone on here has an iPhone with Apple Music, how's your sound quality experience as compared to the factory iPod USB Interface in the armrest?
Might not apply to you cause you're asking about ipod and iphone, while I use an ssd connected to the usb and android but might be similar.
Just my review on sound quality after 7 months.

Not an audiophile or musician but to ME sound quality is only very very slightly worse on the mr12volt when streaming on android auto from Tidal at master quality compared to usb playing wav 48khz/16bit music. Using the song BFG Division - Mick Gordon for reference you can't hear the high pitch string bend when listening at high volumes on mr12 but you can slightly when playing on usb. Mind you I have a 335i hifi with all bavsound upgraded speakers, their amp and a 300w powered sub, so nothing special, could be better could be worse. Maybe i'll start messing with the EQ.

Also, the volume doesn't get loud enough to my liking on the mr12volt, I usually listen at 95-100% volume on usb depending on the song but it seems like mr12volt outputs like 90% of the total volume of which the car can produce. Not really a deal breaker though, guess im saving my hearing.

If you wanna stream music or anything your phone plays at high quality then mr12volt is the only option and that's the reason I got it, cause my music library got full on my 128gb usb and the index time with a 1tb ssd of 2 minutes was too long. I also have the clicking noise but to me it's not something I care to address as it doesn't happen frequently enough.

Last edited by zomski101; 01-09-2023 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:58 PM   #1379
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomski101 View Post

Also, the volume doesn't get loud enough to my liking on the mr12volt, I usually listen at what I believe is 95-100% volume on usb depending on the song but it seems like mr12volt outputs like 90% of the total volume of which the car can produce. Not really a deal breaker though, guess im saving my hearing.
I noticed this as well, and there is a very simple fix. You need to increase the P2000 volume level from its default of 30 to 32.

Of note, when you do this, you'll want to decrease the navigation volume to 22. I noticed the default value would cause distortion in the navigation voice in waze when I increased the master volume.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-10-2023, 12:19 AM   #1380
zomski101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I noticed this as well, and there is a very simple fix. You need to increase the P2000 volume level from its default of 30 to 32.

Of note, when you do this, you'll want to decrease the navigation volume to 22. I noticed the default value would cause distortion in the navigation voice in waze when I increased the master volume.
Damn, I just thought 30 was the max when I skimmed through the menu. Nice even number, well i guess 32 is even too.
      01-10-2023, 03:26 AM   #1381
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
Any ideas as to why “boot logo” isn’t coming up in advanced settings? From this thread I entered code “688612” as described but I’m not getting the option.
Is it not in "Factory Setting" option?

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 03:28 AM   #1382
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all, quick question....

Has anyone got Coolwalk working with Android Auto yet?

(photo is a mock-up!! )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 12:22 PM   #1383
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Hi all,

I need a bit of help here from the UK.

After months of planning I have finally started a CIC retrofit with HD tuner and combox into my CCC equipped E93 M3. I thought sod it and bought the MR12V at the same time.

Yesterday I started installing, but have not managed to get any picture on the screen yet. I can't figure out what might cause this so have removed all extras and now have a system of just CIC, Screen and MR12V. The MR12V is correctly connected and working as I've managed to pair a phone with it that seems to be showing a carplay connection. I am not worried about sound or nav at this stage as that will be fixed with coding.

The question is, for testing purposes, to isolate as many variables as possible, I'm going to remove the MR12V from interrupting the display LVDS output from the CIC, so that the CIC connects directly to the screen.

Am I right in thinking I can leave the IDrive controller connection of the MR12V plugged in, as it doesn't actually interfere with anything? What I mean is, does the iDrive control signal require the MR12V to be on, the iDrive to function normally?

So far all my testing has seen the video signal go through the carplay, I suppose it could be a jumper switch issue.

Main problem is I have no idea if my ebay bought CIC is working as it should.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 01:09 PM   #1384
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
Hi all,

I need a bit of help here from the UK.

After months of planning I have finally started a CIC retrofit with HD tuner and combox into my CCC equipped E93 M3. I thought sod it and bought the MR12V at the same time.

Yesterday I started installing, but have not managed to get any picture on the screen yet. I can't figure out what might cause this so have removed all extras and now have a system of just CIC, Screen and MR12V. The MR12V is correctly connected and working as I've managed to pair a phone with it that seems to be showing a carplay connection. I am not worried about sound or nav at this stage as that will be fixed with coding.

The question is, for testing purposes, to isolate as many variables as possible, I'm going to remove the MR12V from interrupting the display LVDS output from the CIC, so that the CIC connects directly to the screen.

Am I right in thinking I can leave the IDrive controller connection of the MR12V plugged in, as it doesn't actually interfere with anything? What I mean is, does the iDrive control signal require the MR12V to be on, the iDrive to function normally?

So far all my testing has seen the video signal go through the carplay, I suppose it could be a jumper switch issue.

Main problem is I have no idea if my ebay bought CIC is working as it should.
Perhaps its something to do with your harness when you converted the CCC screen to CID CIC Screen.
Double-check the pinouts and make sure it's correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 01:36 PM   #1385
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Harness looks good. correct pins to my knowledge, there's only 4 wires and the pin locations are the same - just a question of switching the plugs.

Can anyone confirm what jumper positions I should use when I get the carplay system back in.

Stock E93 CIC with period correct screen?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 09:31 AM   #1386
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
Harness looks good. correct pins to my knowledge, there's only 4 wires and the pin locations are the same - just a question of switching the plugs.

Can anyone confirm what jumper positions I should use when I get the carplay system back in.

Stock E93 CIC with period correct screen?
All plug-n-play, as per my video, although this is for the E89, all the connections are the same. This is the older black box, so the plug in for the LVDS cable is slightly different...

As for the dip switches, it should come with a label telling you. here I've attached a photo of mine for the black box, all being off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0