BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

07-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #45
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Were your individual tire pressures visible in iDrive before you removed this feature?

Anyone interested in donating their RDC module towards a good cause? Some jerk is drilling screws into my tires (5th time in 3 years) and only on the rears. I am now looking to retrofit TPMS as opposed to the RPA that Canadian cars defaulted to in 2011.

Thanks.

Not sure if wiring is there to be honest, but hopefully.
Pretty sure you are seeing NBT Units with TPMS that have tire pressure. I have never seen one on a CIC unit. The NBT UI is very similar to CIC at the time that was announced.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #46
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Great thread, thank you! Just bought a spare set of wheels for the track, this will help keep the annoying chime away since I didn't install TPMS.

One note for CCC:

Module to modify is CAPPL, and the parameter is RDC_CCC -> nicht_aktiv. I could not find the other two CIC parameters anywhere to code them out.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:19 AM   #47
deadlyhate
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI 335i N55B30

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I don't know the value in the non-M DSC but I would assume it would be related have the word RPA in it. If all else fails, you can just code your DSC with a blank .MAN file to reset to defaults with the new Vehicle order since you added $265.

Edit:

I found a variable that shows this in DSC_87 that looks like it should work.

Depending on your version it would be in the format of <version>_RPA

For example if your DSC_87 is version C08.

C08_RPA: wert_01 (Direct RDC) wert_02 (indirect RDC)

If you read yor DSC_87 settings and search the TRC file, you should be able to find this RPA value and change it to wert_02.

Thank you so much!
Sorry for the late response (just did it yesterday).
So I started the car and I was able to read the DSC.
The parameters was
C0F_RPA
wert_01
--
The possible values for C0F_RPA were:
wert_01 -> Direct RDC
wert_00 -> indirect RDC
--
So I changed it and it worked!
Name:  107461915_198038171633116_2773593572975035331_n.jpg
Views: 4187
Size:  111.2 KB
--
Furthermore I then restored the old state of the DSC and did a full reset (the 2nd suggestion) (in order to make a comparison) and it worked again.
The difference was again only the C0F_RPA
Name:  picturemessage_1vlm4s1j.pkz.png
Views: 4077
Size:  84.2 KB

Thank you so much for the help!

Last edited by deadlyhate; 07-16-2020 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
derbo3592.00
MadJoe44.50
      07-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #48
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Glad you were able to figure it out! I was wrong with wert_02 but I'm happy you got it!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #49
Jerezblack.m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

hello guys I need help!
so I followed this video and in the description box this thread showed up.
anyway I have a 2008 bmw m3 with i-drive and I did everything what the video did and now my TPMS and EDC are both on. is it because I didn't add the $265 vehicle order? can someone help me with this ?

EDIT: NVM I unplugged the wrong box! lol

Last edited by Jerezblack.m3; 08-09-2020 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #50
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
I should have come here first, I've been having the same problem with FTM showing up but not allowing me to reset it because the option is greyed out on my non-M E90 . I'll be following deadlyhate's instructions when I get home today and hopefully that's been my issue all along.

The funny part is that I only found this thread because my work VPN blocks the E90 forums here, but none of the others. I guess I'm glad they did that now
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #51
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

can this function be coded by bimmercode?
anyone have any experience with it?

hmm looking through the supported coding options, it doesn't appear to be on the list

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #52
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
can this function be coded by bimmercode?
anyone have any experience with it?

hmm looking through the supported coding options, it doesn't appear to be on the list
From what I can tell, the DSC is not available as a module to fiddle with from the App.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #53
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
This isn't a great video on the process, but it helped me when nothing else did.

After months of trying to figure out why I couldn't get my FTM to initialize, following this guy's coding instructions is what got it done. He goes over them a little fast, and there's a lot of fluff in the beginning, but the coding part is spot on once you realize you need to pause and look at what he's actually clicking/doing. I've written it up below if you'd rather print it and follow it that way (much easier than trying to keep up with dude when his camera 'dies' in the middle of showing you a pretty important step).

My problem was that FTM wasn't showing up in my comm center between my speedometer and tach, so I couldn't "reset" it. Once I followed his instructions, there it was and once I reset it from there, the menu on my iDrive screen ungreyed and the message about FTM having an issue went away.

If you're having that issue like I did, here's the steps:

1. Open INPA to get your EDIBAS sever running
2. Open NCS Expert and load your preferred profile and get your car recognized
3. Click <F2> Enter FA, choose E89 and click okay when it displays your VIN in the popup.
4. Delete '$2VB' from the VO. In the video he doesn't add '$265', but you can if you want.
5. Click <F6> Back, <F4> Process ECU, and choose 'CAS'.
6. Click <F2> Change Job, choose 'FA_WRITE', click <F3> Execute Job, wait for 'Job Ended' to show up.
7. Click <F1> Change ECU, and choose 'NFRM'. Ensure it still says 'FA_WRITE' and then click <F3> Execute Job, and wait for 'Job Ended'.
8. Exit NCS Expert and reopen it, reload your profile. (I'm not sure if this is necessary, but he did it and it worked when I did it, so I'm sticking with it)
9. Get NCS Expert to recognize your car like before and click <F6> Back
10. Click <F4> Process ECU, select DSC, click 'Ok', click <F3> Execute Job wait for your dash to ding and 'Coding Ended' to show up.
11. Click <F1> Choose ECU and select 'KOMBI', click 'Ok', <F3> Execute Job, dash dings, 'Coding Ended' comes up.
12. Click <F4> Read ECU and dismiss the popup. From here you'll move to your 'WORK' folder you've already set up for NCS Expert.
13. Select 'FSW_PSW.TRC' and open it with Notepad
14. Search for 'RDC_ALIVE' and if it isn't already, switch it to 'nicht_aktive'. You must spell it that way for it to take.
15 Then search for 'MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC and if it's 'nicht_aktiv' delete the 'nicht' and make it just say 'aktiv'. Just under that should be 'RDC_VERBAUT' (if not, just search for it) which you need to make 'nicht_aktive'.
16. Click 'File', 'Save As' and save it as 'FSW_PSW.MAN'. Close the notepad program and return to NCS Expert. Doule check it's still on the KOMBI ecu (it should be).
17. Click <F6> Basic Functions and select 'coapiReadSgGetFswPsw'. DOUBLE CHECK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ONE. Check again. Check once more. Click 'Ok', then 'Ok' again, and when it pops up press 'Ok' a third time.
18. Double check it is still on the KOMBI ECU. Click <F2> Change Job, select 'SG_CODIEREN' and click <F3> Execute Job.
19. Go into your message center between your tach and speedo and select to Reset your TPMS/FTM from there. If you have iDrive, it will take a few miles (like 50 or so) for it to show 4 green tires but they'll show up eventually.
20. Enjoy the freedom of putting whatever set of wheels you want on your car and not spending money on worthless sensors that just go bad anyway.

Last edited by MadJoe; 09-02-2020 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Formatting, removed unnecessary stuff, and some type-os
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #54
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoe View Post
This isn't a great video on the process, but it helped me when nothing else did.

After months of trying to figure out why I couldn't get my FTM to initialize, following this guy's coding instructions is what got it done. He goes over them a little fast, and there's a lot of fluff in the beginning, but the coding part is spot on once you realize you need to pause and look at what he's actually clicking/doing. I've written it up below if you'd rather print it and follow it that way (much easier than trying to keep up with dude when his camera 'dies' in the middle of showing you a pretty important step).

My problem was that FTM wasn't showing up in my comm center between my speedometer and tach, so I couldn't "reset" it. Once I followed his instructions, there it was and once I reset it from there, the menu on my iDrive screen ungreyed and the message about FTM having an issue went away.

If you're having that issue like I did, here's the steps:

1. Open INPA to get your EDIBAS sever running
2. Open NCS Expert and load your preferred profile and get your car recognized (if you don't know how to use NCS Expert, this isn't for you)
3. Enter FA <F2>, choose E89 and click okay when it displays your VIN in the popup. If your VIN isn't populated, you should go back and redo step 2
4. Delete '$2VB' from the VO. In the video he doesn't add '$265', but you can if you want.
5. Click <F6> Back, <F4> Process ECU, and choose 'CAS'.
6. Click <F2> Change Job, choose FA_WRITE, click <F3> Execute Job, wait for 'Job Ended' to show up.
7. Click <F1> Change ECU, and choose 'NFRM'. Ensure it still says "FA_WRITE" and then click <F3> Execute Job and wait for 'Job Ended'.
8. Exit NCS Expert and reopen it, reload your profile. (I'm not sure if this is necessary, but he did it and it worked when I did it, so I'm sticking with it)
9. Get NCS Expert to recognize your car like before and click <F6> Back
10. Click <F4> Process ECU, select DSC, click 'Ok', click <F3> Execute Job wait for your dash to ding and 'Coding Ended' to show up.
11. Click <F1> Choose ECU and select 'KOMBI', click 'Ok', <F3> Execute Job, dash dings, 'Coding Ended' comes up.
12. Click <F4> Read ECU and dismiss the popup. From here you'll move to your 'WORK' folder you've already set up for NCS Expert.
13. Select 'FSW_PSW.TRC' and open it with Notepad
14. Search for 'RDC_ALIVE' and if it isn't already, switch it to 'nicht_aktive'. You must spell it that way for it to take.
15 Then search for 'MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC and if it's 'nicht_aktiv' delete the 'nicht' and make it just say 'aktiv'. Just under that should be 'RDC_VERBAUT' (if not, just search for it) which you need to make 'nicht_aktive'.
16. Click 'File', 'Save As' and save it as 'FSW_PSW.MAN'. Close the notepad program and return to NCS Expert. Doule check it's still on the KOMBI ecu (it should be).
17. Click <F6> Basic Functions and select 'coapiReadSgGetFswPsw'. DOUBLE CHECK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ONE. Check again. Check once more. Click 'Ok', the 'Ok' again, then once it pops up 'Ok' a third time.
18. Double check it is still Click <F2> Change Job, select 'SG_CODIEREN' and click <F3> Execute Job.
19. Go into your message center between your tach and speedo and select to Reset your TPMS/FTM from there. If you have iDrive, it will take a few miles (like 50 or so) for it to show 4 green tires but they'll show up eventually.
20. Enjoy the freedom of putting whatever set of wheels you want on your car and not spending money on worthless sensors that just go bad anyway.

Based on these steps, nothing is really different from the set of NCS expert definitions I gave in the original post. I think you just missed the KOMBI settings if it wasn't listed under your OBC menu setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #55
Insomniaroy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Hello and thanks to OP for the post.
I have a 09/2008 USA and I want to get rid of RDC. I could not find the right connector in the right inner wheel well. I did find the plastic ECU casing but because all three rows are occupied there is a lot of connectors and cabling and the accessible ECU's don't have the right connector, plus there is another ECU mounted to the side at the front of the housing making it impossible to extract the housing from the well.
I don't get it why this inaccessible location was chosen, while there is plenty of space below the trunk floor cover. typical BMW.. Surprised they don't put ECU's in the roof.
I've seen how other brands just use a sort of backplane where you just insert ECU's into. Don't have to mess around with cable looms that way. poor design BMW !

Update: I've found that removing use F27 isn't an option because it will disable the iDrive controller.

Last edited by Insomniaroy; 11-17-2020 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #56
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniaroy View Post
Hello and thanks to OP for the post.
I have a 09/2008 USA and I want to get rid of RPC. I could not find the right connector in the right inner wheel well. I did find the plastic ECU casing but because all three rows are occupied there is a lot of connectors and cabling and the accessible ECU's don't have the right connector, plus there is another ECU mounted to the side at the front of the housing making it impossible to extract the housing from the well.
I don't get it why this inaccessible location was chosen, while there is plenty of space below the trunk floor cover. typical BMW.. Surprised they don't put ECU's in the roof.
I've seen how other brands just use a soft of backplane where you just insert ECU's into. Don't have to mess around with cable looms that way. poor design BMW !

Update: I've found that removing use F27 isn't an option because it will disable the iDrive controller.
Remove the ecu casing, each ecu slides out and you disconnect the connector from the ecu. It's pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #57
Insomniaroy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

I got it done finally, after just don't giving a F anymore about the isolation material.
As these cable holders that hold the cable loom to the chassis are rivited from the outside (!) I choose not to drill them but just tear the isolation material.
Then I could access the ECU box better. But it still wouldn't come out , so I had to bend the metal of the inner wheel well a bit ......
After that, the box came out and -as I suspected- the RDC unit is hanging piggyback style on the side of the box (to the front of the car) ...
So now I could finally disconnect it and put everything back the best way possible.

It looks like these ECU's are all mounted/cabled during production before the outside fenders are welded on.. Maintenance/repair was not on their minds.

I guess I know the reason now why BMW repositioned this ECU later in 2009.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #58
Edberto
#BorstenBartRacing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Garage List
08 E90 M3 with CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Great thread, thank you! Just bought a spare set of wheels for the track, this will help keep the annoying chime away since I didn't install TPMS.

One note for CCC:

Module to modify is CAPPL, and the parameter is RDC_CCC -> nicht_aktiv. I could not find the other two CIC parameters anywhere to code them out.
Just to have this answered here as well:
That's because for CCC you just have the one parameter in CAPPL that needs to be changed --> RDC_CCC - to nicht_aktiv

+ Adding some details on what the CU carrier looks like with all relevant connectors unplugged (EDC in the front and RPA in the back) & how I taped back the connectors (incl taped housings to prevent corrosion of contacts) to prevent rattling.
Attached Images

Last edited by Edberto; 01-09-2021 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Adding some pictures
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #59
MCDUBBIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 SC M3 E93

Anyone around MS/LA/AL/FL area that can help me with this mod. I just put some wheels on and I’m not familiar with the program that’s listed here. I use a lot of VAGCOM for VW/AUDI and BimmerLink and BimmerCode for my BMW.

I am willing to drive to you and even throw some cash your way if you use the coding program listed to accomplish the activation of the FTM.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys!

Oh and I have a 2011 BMW M3. (So I will be unplugging under the rear passengers tire)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #60
Edberto
#BorstenBartRacing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDUBBIN View Post
Anyone around MS/LA/AL/FL area that can help me with this mod. I just put some wheels on and I’m not familiar with the program that’s listed here. I use a lot of VAGCOM for VW/AUDI and BimmerLink and BimmerCode for my BMW.

I am willing to drive to you and even throw some cash your way if you use the coding program listed to accomplish the activation of the FTM.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys!

Oh and I have a 2011 BMW M3. (So I will be unplugging under the rear passengers tire)
I'm located in AL and can help you out -> Send me a PM
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:37 PM   #61
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Hey guys, i'm running into this error right as I click "execute job".

My door shut on me while I was in the middle of writing it which turned the cars ignition off and when I went to do it over again this error popped up. the $265 change order is written to the module already.

From the research ive done I think I need to write a blank .MAN file but im not really sure how to do that or what/where it is. Is a .MAN file just a "Manipulation" profile with no changes?

Name:  NCS error 1.PNG
Views: 3120
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  NCS ERROR LOG.PNG
Views: 3146
Size:  49.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #62
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanturn View Post
Hey guys, i'm running into this error right as I click "execute job".

My door shut on me while I was in the middle of writing it which turned the cars ignition off and when I went to do it over again this error popped up. the $265 change order is written to the module already.

From the research ive done I think I need to write a blank .MAN file but im not really sure how to do that or what/where it is. Is a .MAN file just a "Manipulation" profile with no changes?

Attachment 2671094

Attachment 2671095
IFH-0010 is a data transmission disturbed error. Try restarting NCSexpert again and making sure your KDCAN cable is set to whatever COM port you set in Edidabas with latency set to 1ms.

Good luck.

For recoding back to defaults just have a blank manipulation file (which is basically the work.trc named work.man) and run a SG_CODERIEN with that blank file.

edit: ooops, FSW_PSW.MAN, I should have drank my coffee before posting

Last edited by derbo; 08-13-2021 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #63
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The data transmission disturbed error is because the car initially shut the ignition off mid-write after I executed the job, screwing everything up.

INPA shows im fully connected. I made sure to set up COM port and latency before any of this. I restarted NCS multiple times to no avail.

in my WORK folder, I dont have a work.man file. I have a FSW_PSW.MAN which seems to be a blank file at 0 kb. Not really sure where to go from here.
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00
      08-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #64
cchen9_
VisionAutoworks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW E92 M3 ZCP

There is no "work.man" file. The FSW_PSW.MAN is the file that gets sent when you execute SG_CODIEREN. If it's blank it should send a vanilla version, given you have the proper daten files.
      08-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #65
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen9_ View Post
There is no "work.man" file. The FSW_PSW.MAN is the file that gets sent when you execute SG_CODIEREN. If it's blank it should send a vanilla version, given you have the proper daten files.
Thanks sorry, It was 6am hahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #66
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok so now we are on to the next set of errors. I got to where I execute job to KOMBI and am getting this set of errors which I believe to be on the last "division" of the code here.

Name:  error ncs 1.PNG
Views: 2987
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  error ncs 2.jpg
Views: 2975
Size:  460.3 KB
Appreciate 0