BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

01-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #23
VP-jiminy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '09 X5d M-sport pkg

V good write-up! May I add, however, that the process can be faster and more thorough if an assistant starts the engine with the wheels on the ground (no need to jack car up) while you keep a close watch on the fluid level in the reservoir, making sure it doesn't run dry. I want to try that method after watching two videos from Germany on Youtube showing it.
Be careful to instruct the assistant to turn the engine off after only 2-3 seconds as the outflow is fast.

Last edited by VP-jiminy; 01-19-2022 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:09 PM   #24
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
Wow. Why you're doing six times?
I have had the car for 10 years, well, it is going to be 10 on 04/21.
Appreciate 3
      04-27-2022, 06:47 AM   #25
nsogiba
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT Interlagos

Just finished up a PS fluid flush with this method and wanted to note a couple ways to remove more fluid and decrease changes of spillage:

-After siphoning out the majority of the fluid from the reservoir, a fair amount will remain hiding underneath the filter cover, which is held on by a Torx screw. Although you can't remove the filter from the reservoir, if you remove the screw you can slide the filter to the side and access a bit further in the reservoir with your turkey baster to get some more out. The screw threads into plastic - so finger tight only when reinstalling!

-Rather than capping the smaller port after removing the hose, I chose to pile a bunch of rags surrounding a small, thin container and drain the remainder of the oil in there. If you remove the reservoir from the clamp you can tilt it to get all the oil out of it - therefore no vacuum cap required.

I found that siphoning the reservoir with a turkey baster using the method above filled about an entire red solo cup full of old, black oil. Lifting the front end and turning the wheels multiple times yielded almost another entire cup! Great way to purge the system of old oil without wasting new oil trying to dilute it.

2009 E92 M3 | 6MT | Interlagos Blue
Progress Thread

2016 F15 X5 35i | 8AT | Sophisto Grey

Last edited by nsogiba; 04-27-2022 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      03-12-2023, 10:45 PM   #26
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I followed this procedure and it was much easier than undoing the lower connections.

I will add that afterwards, I got the dreaded steering position sensor code, but luckily 2 hours of fiddling with the foxwell tool I was able to reset the sensor. The back and forth of the wheel during the flush must have triggered it.
Appreciate 0