BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

Mporium BMW

01-19-2023, 11:16 PM   #1
bobbert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Melbourne Red

Valve cover powder coating around Seattle?

Anyone have S65 valve cover + timing cover powder coating recommendations around the north Seattle area? I'm looking for someone with experience with these VCs since it's not just straightforward coverage of the entire part.

From what I'm reading, warpage of the magnesium covers is rare and oil leakage is more commonly due to powder coating in the gasket groove or incorrect bolt torque.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 07:29 PM   #2
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I dunno, I think warping is more common than some people think. It's claimed on the forums they rarely actually warp. However, nearly every single shop I talked to in the area straight up refuses to do valve cover gaskets only, because 90% of the time, they come back leaking again.

In a shop, a customer come back is one of the worst things that can happen to you. Shops don't want that, and as such don't play the game. All of them say they now only replace with new valvecovers.

Way too much of a consistent answer to not have some weight behind it.

In my own experience, I had two attempts done at doing valve cover gaskets, and they leaked both times. Bit the bullet and and replaced the valvecovers, and they have been bone dry ever since.
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933147.50
      01-21-2023, 06:23 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert View Post
Anyone have S65 valve cover + timing cover powder coating recommendations around the north Seattle area? I'm looking for someone with experience with these VCs since it's not just straightforward coverage of the entire part.

From what I'm reading, warpage of the magnesium covers is rare and oil leakage is more commonly due to powder coating in the gasket groove or incorrect bolt torque.

Warping is the main reason why all mechs recommend changing the valve cover versus just the gaskets.

If your leak isn't bad you might want to hold off doing new valve covers for a bit. There's going to be an aftermarket option coming out soon that should be a permanent fix for our leaky MG covers. I can't say much more than that so just hang in there if you can.
Appreciate 3
drwankel1034.50
Soden82477.00
bobbert27.00
      01-22-2023, 12:41 PM   #4
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I dunno, I think warping is more common than some people think. It's claimed on the forums they rarely actually warp. However, nearly every single shop I talked to in the area straight up refuses to do valve cover gaskets only, because 90% of the time, they come back leaking again.

In a shop, a customer come back is one of the worst things that can happen to you. Shops don't want that, and as such don't play the game. All of them say they now only replace with new valvecovers.

Way too much of a consistent answer to not have some weight behind it.

In my own experience, I had two attempts done at doing valve cover gaskets, and they leaked both times. Bit the bullet and and replaced the valvecovers, and they have been bone dry ever since.
Appreciate your take. I did gaskets-only on my own last year and used oem gaskets and the proper cement and still have a small trouble spot on the front of the passenger side cover. It’s tiny enough that I just wipe it off every other month or so but really hadn’t considered warping as my cause. I plan to eventually pull them again to do the vanos covers and will look at replacing them anew.
Appreciate 1
drwankel1034.50
      01-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #5
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Warping is the main reason why all mechs recommend changing the valve cover versus just the gaskets.

If your leak isn't bad you might want to hold off doing new valve covers for a bit. There's going to be an aftermarket option coming out soon that should be a permanent fix for our leaky MG covers. I can't say much more than that so just hang in there if you can.
ETA on the information release for such an option?
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 06:16 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
ETA on the information release for such an option?
Not sure on time frame sorry. I'm also waiting impatiently for it.
Appreciate 1
Soden82477.00
      01-23-2023, 05:01 PM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Officially announced...

Appreciate 2
Soden82477.00
bobbert27.00
      01-23-2023, 08:18 PM   #8
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Also a new post on the Facebook page with another company selling an aluminum valve cover today. EA labs I believe is the name.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 11:14 PM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Also a new post on the Facebook page with another company selling an aluminum valve cover today. EA labs I believe is the name.
Choice is an awesome thing. For me I will go with whomever can get a working product out at the best price.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 12:52 AM   #10
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Two questions immediately jump to mind, and please educate me here:

Why did BMW choose magnesium over aluminum for the valvecovers in the first place?

What makes us think these new aluminum options wont be leaking 4-5 years down the road? Aluminum can warp as well.

My valvecovers are fresh, so I wont have to worry about them for quite a while now. When the time comes, there should be plenty of real world data about these upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 03:01 AM   #11
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Why did BMW choose magnesium over aluminum for the valvecovers in the first place?

What makes us think these new aluminum options wont be leaking 4-5 years down the road? Aluminum can warp as well.
Million dollar question. Presumably its to reduce weight of the S65 engine to improve weight distribution, lower Cg, and for marketing purposes.

You're right that alu can warp as well, but cast aluminum valve covers have been used for many years in many cars with much less leaking issues. Another major issue being solved here is the porosity problem that affects Mg and not alu. Mg develops micro pores over time and it's why our valve covers leak oil from pimples on the surface and not just at the gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:14 AM   #12
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

is this much of an issue that an aftermarket product is needed? i mean cool, but is this really gonna bring in the $? why not use FCPs lifetime warranty? or do y'all replace covers more frequently due to track days? i don't track my car so i wouldn't know.
      01-24-2023, 06:32 AM   #13
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
is this much of an issue that an aftermarket product is needed? i mean cool, but is this really gonna bring in the $? why not use FCPs lifetime warranty? or do y'all replace covers more frequently due to track days? i don't track my car so i wouldn't know.
Probably more for the engine clout than anything. The N54 guys have been using aluminum valve covers for some time now, and even those are prone to weeping over time. We will have to see how these hold up over the years.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:19 PM   #14
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Yes it's an issue. Stock valve covers develop pimples due to out gassing from micropores in the Mg. These pimples eventually leak oil. They also start to leak pretty badly from the gasket. Replacing just the gasket usually does not fix the issue cos the valve cover itself warps.

The other big issue of the stock valve cover is that every time you remove it, you need to replace the bolts which come with rubber o-rings. $10 per bolt x 24 bolts = stupid money for bolts.

So yeah, a valve cover that lasts longer than the Mg one would be most welcome indeed.
Appreciate 0