BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

11-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #331
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
1. The 2 antennae (WiFi and BT) look identical - how can I distinguish between them? Or are they both dual function?

Yes the antennas are identical. You can connect either one to either port, but you need both.

2. The MLink set-up instructions say "Switch Band to 5G" - is that 5G as in mobile networks? If it does, I have the wrong phone!

This is referring to 5Ghz Wifi, which is supported on nearly every phone made in the last 10 years.

3. Bluetooth - Music Streaming and Hands-free - "Note:- It does not support the split Bluetooth function of original car hands-free after P-2000 Bluetooth is connected" - does this mean I will lose functionality currently provided by the normal CIC unit?

Not sure exactly what this is referring to. The idrive call system works without issue once the mr12volt system is setup, and you can be paired to both. Haven't tried bluetooth music directly to the CIC since I installed it.
Many thanks for responding.

Yes 5GHz wifi is no problem!
      11-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #332
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

Finally got around to installing my Mr12Volt P2000 in a 2013 M3. I previously had a Carsara CarPlay unit that caused my CIC to always be a red screen except for the CarPlay input. Worked damn near flawless for the past several months, but really wanted my factory CIC to still work so I bought this P2000.

The unit itself appears to be much higher quality physically and the UI is more responsive. Haven't tested phone calls, but those were garbage on the Carsara so just about anything is an improvement. My aftermarket backup camera looks pretty good too, but a bit different than the Carsara due to its full screen now and a bit stretched looking.

Seconds after syncing up my phone the bass issue was very apparent. I have fiddled with the EQ settings and tried bumping up the bass slider as well. Nothing makes it sound right. I listen to a lot of EDM so the lack of bass is almost a deal breaker. The audio does sound crisp and clean, but the lack of bass removes all benefit in audio quality to me. I used to like how much more punch the individual audio in my M3 had over my F30 H/K setup, but now its gone. Turning up the bass slider makes the audio sound muffled to get some of the bass back and adjusting the low end hz sliders up much causes some weird buzzy artifacting on some songs. This needs to be solved.
SlimE92185.50
      11-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #333
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

Just a thought.. the bass issue is not to do with Waze audio issue? Where the audio is actually reduced. I hit the speech search in Waze and cancel to return to normal operation.

Also not sure if other apps are stealing the audio or reducing it in the background.

I have noticed that the other streaming apps that dont control the EQ within their own app is not as punchy, hence why my Spotify works and sounds good, as the R&B EQ setting is selected.

Still unable to get the button on the steering wheel to answer the call or hang up...

I even tried to change it to Announce on the car to get Siri to answer it, but that doesnt woerk either.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Snappa2000; 11-01-2021 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #334
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa2000 View Post
Just a thought.. the bass issue is not to do with Waze audio issue? Where the audio is actually reduced. I hit the speech search in Waze and cancel to return to normal operation.

Also not sure if other apps are stealing the audio or reducing it in the background.

I have noticed that the other streaming apps that dont control the EQ within their own app is not as punchy, hence why my Spotify works and sounds good, as the R&B EQ setting is selected.

Still unable to get the button on the steering wheel to answer the call or hang up...

I even tried to change it to Announce on the car to get Siri to answer it, but that doesnt woerk either.

Any other thoughts?
Positive it has nothing to do with Waze. I've actually had the most success with carplay starting with only an audio app up and then starting a mapping app.

I have a suspicion that everybody actually has the bass issue, just that some people really dont know what they are listening to, or they are listening to something that would mask the issue, like a piano concerto or something, which doesnt get down low enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #335
NA_E92
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive (E92)

I just finished installing this in my 328i and am very pleased with the results. I'm trying to fine tune some minor issues and was wondering if anyone has it working with PDC but no cameras. I have a manual transmission but didn't bother tapping a reverse light as I don't feel a need for a backup camera, but had hoped the unit would still catch PDC events.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #336
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA_E92 View Post
I just finished installing this in my 328i and am very pleased with the results. I'm trying to fine tune some minor issues and was wondering if anyone has it working with PDC but no cameras. I have a manual transmission but didn't bother tapping a reverse light as I don't feel a need for a backup camera, but had hoped the unit would still catch PDC events.
Have you tried changing settings here? Maybe changing the Reverse camera to none and/or the Reverse radar to ON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009550iMSport View Post
Make sure you set the settings as shown here:

Reverse Camera should be set to AfterMarket 360
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #337
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Can someone explain the mic splitter solution - a schematic or description would be very useful.

Also - if it is a splitter as I understand it, could this be the reason for low/poor quality audio via the mic?

Is it not better to have completely separate mic input rather than a splitter? If you split the signal, are you not halving it, in effect?

I think.

Anyway, if someone could describe it, I would be grateful!
      11-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #338
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Can someone explain the mic splitter solution - a schematic or description would be very useful.

Also - if it is a splitter as I understand it, could this be the reason for low/poor quality audio via the mic?

Is it not better to have completely separate mic input rather than a splitter? If you split the signal, are you not halving it, in effect?

I think.

Anyway, if someone could describe it, I would be grateful!
The mic splitter cable was just for convenience with the idea that the OEM mic would work same/better than the external mic included with Mr12Volt unit as well as not having to route/add an additional mic just for the Mr12Volt unit during installation. Unfortunately for most of us it didn't work, since the sound quality with the combination of the mic splitter cable + OEM mic + Mr12Volt is bad. There was someone in the forum that claimed using a different mic splitter cable they had worked without issues, but that person didn't provide any specifics about it, or the cable/part number that he/she used.

At this point is probably better to just use the included mic that came in with Mr12Volt and install the mic somewhere close to your steering wheel or next to the OEM mic as another person posted.

For me, I'm just going to wait in the hopes Mr12Volt releases a new firmware that can help fix the issue, or some other forum member figures out a way to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 02:08 AM   #339
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep

Hi
Hopefully this is a quick fix. I have gone complete CarPlay (so forgotten the BMW Bluetooth).

When I say "Hey Siri send a text message to Person A" the unit recognises the command and and shows Person A on the screen with a what you like to send. But then doesn't pick up my voice.

I have reset the mr12Volt and fully restarted my iPhone.

iPhone works in another vehicle CarPlay hard wired. I am on 15.1 IOS.

So the microphone is working but Siri doesn't want to play.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 05:20 AM   #340
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E61 + E36 + E90 scrapheap

Following, would love to know the cause of the bass issue.
Am interested in upgrading from my Carsara box, where the analog audio quality is a bit lacklustre.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:15 AM   #341
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
The mic splitter cable was just for convenience with the idea that the OEM mic would work same/better than the external mic included with Mr12Volt unit as well as not having to route/add an additional mic just for the Mr12Volt unit during installation. Unfortunately for most of us it didn't work, since the sound quality with the combination of the mic splitter cable + OEM mic + Mr12Volt is bad. There was someone in the forum that claimed using a different mic splitter cable they had worked without issues, but that person didn't provide any specifics about it, or the cable/part number that he/she used.

At this point is probably better to just use the included mic that came in with Mr12Volt and install the mic somewhere close to your steering wheel or next to the OEM mic as another person posted.

For me, I'm just going to wait in the hopes Mr12Volt releases a new firmware that can help fix the issue, or some other forum member figures out a way to make it work.
Many thanks.

I have been holding off installing what I have received, due to the still awaited mic splitter solution suggested by another (paid for but no sign of it yet..).

As Mr12Volt do seem to be fairly active on the firmware updates, I probably leave it for another couple of weeks before diving in.
      11-05-2021, 07:42 AM   #342
NA_E92
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
Have you tried changing settings here? Maybe changing the Reverse camera to none and/or the Reverse radar to ON?
I tried that and a few other combinations to no avail. I'll try contacting them to see what they recommend. It still beeps at least, so it's not entirely necessary to switch back to the stock interface.

As far as the mics are concerned, apart from the pain the coupe A-pillar is to get in and out, the included mic is the way to go. If you take out your dome light panel, unclip the cover for the RHD side, and pop off the microphone's mount leaving just the ball, it wedges in very nicely in the space.

Appreciate 3
UnicornM388.00
dandandan101.50
      11-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #343
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep

Guys
More on the Siri issue. I have recorded a couple of videos to show the issue.

Siri Message issue

Siri response issue

Does this happen to others?

UPDATE: This is not an issue, it was found to be a pinched microphone cable causing it to short.. removed and replaced cable (and ran it probperly out the way of screws and plastic clips) and all worked.

Last edited by Snappa2000; 11-08-2021 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #344
drwankel
Major
Rep

I'm just curious, since you installed your microphone, you made a test phone call, which in one of your previous responses, sounded great. When you made this call- was the actual call in carplay, or did it send you to idrive to handle the call?

Every time I have initiated a call, I selected the person in carplay, and then the actual call went to the idrive system. I have less data on incoming calls, but i did get one natively handled in carplay, which sounded bad due to the splitter cable.

The reason I ask is if your test calls were kicked over to idrive, then you'd have less or no data about how well the microphone actually works in that location, unless you tried microphone input from some other app. It could be that siri is getting a muffled or poor sound sample, and cant respond correctly.

Based on the behavior of siri in your videos, it just looks like how you would expect siri to react with a poor mic input source.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 02:38 AM   #345
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep

Ok
I had to add my reverse camera so thought I would look deeper in the Siri issue.

I noticed that the hey Siri was picked up by the phone but when CarPlay kicked it it was trying to use the mic connected to P2000. There was no input and completely like the mic was unplugged.

When I ran the cable for the rear camera I removed the P2000 and tested the mic cable to find there was a short. Plugged another mic I was trying out in and that fixed the issue!

I removed the mic and cable and ran the alternative cable and mic I had.

Siri works as was working before and calls are working fine to.

The cable was pinched and eventually caused a short. Feel like an idiot but be careful of running the cable down the A Pillar and make sure the cable is out the way from the mounting points. In my car it was the mount point behind the screw where the airbag badge is.

Phew. Sucks but working now.

As per last post I only use CarPlay and have forgotten all BMW Bluetooth connections so there is no way to connect to the wrong one.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #346
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa2000 View Post
Ok
I had to add my reverse camera so thought I would look deeper in the Siri issue.

I noticed that the hey Siri was picked up by the phone but when CarPlay kicked it it was trying to use the mic connected to P2000. There was no input and completely like the mic was unplugged.

When I ran the cable for the rear camera I removed the P2000 and tested the mic cable to find there was a short. Plugged another mic I was trying out in and that fixed the issue!

I removed the mic and cable and ran the alternative cable and mic I had.

Siri works as was working before and calls are working fine to.

The cable was pinched and eventually caused a short. Feel like an idiot but be careful of running the cable down the A Pillar and make sure the cable is out the way from the mounting points. In my car it was the mount point behind the screw where the airbag badge is.

Phew. Sucks but working now.

As per last post I only use CarPlay and have forgotten all BMW Bluetooth connections so there is no way to connect to the wrong one.
Well my guess was kinda right, it was a bad Mic input, but for other reasons than I was suspecting. Glad you got it identified!

I'm considering using your Mic install location as I have doubts about the splitter cable input being fixed. Going to wait until the Bass issue has a fix before I touch anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #347
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

At some point I will try using the VW mic that came with my Andream MMI box and see if that works with the splitter. I'm also considering trying a higher quality TRS mic off Amazon to test out.

For the backup cam, I swapped to the Green YI option D fisheye 720p AHD from a crappy other brand. I cut the green and white wire. The Mr12Volt is capable of AHD 720p. I didn't like the silly distance lines on top of Mr12Volt graphics.

I have DCT and used the proper trigger 12v lead from Mr12Volt. Initially I was having strange video behaviour like frame rate looking waves. It turns out it I should not have connected the ground wire in the trunk beside the camera that's connected to the trigger wire.

I thought at first I may have needed the rectifier box capacitor but no, it was just a bad ground causing slightly poor video effects. Make sure if you are tapping into the trigger wire from Mr12Volt that you leave the ground wire leading to the camera disconnected and not exposed. That ground wire would be connected if you were tapping into the tail light to get 12v and that's also a scenario where you may need the rectifier if the voltage is not consistent enough.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 06:58 AM   #348
TheWoj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
At some point I will try using the VW mic that came with my Andream MMI box and see if that works with the splitter. I'm also considering trying a higher quality TRS mic off Amazon to test out.

For the backup cam, I swapped to the Green YI option D fisheye 720p AHD from a crappy other brand. I cut the green and white wire. The Mr12Volt is capable of AHD 720p. I didn't like the silly distance lines on top of Mr12Volt graphics.

I have DCT and used the proper trigger 12v lead from Mr12Volt. Initially I was having strange video behaviour like frame rate looking waves. It turns out it I should not have connected the ground wire in the trunk beside the camera that's connected to the trigger wire.

I thought at first I may have needed the rectifier box capacitor but no, it was just a bad ground causing slightly poor video effects. Make sure if you are tapping into the trigger wire from Mr12Volt that you leave the ground wire leading to the camera disconnected and not exposed. That ground wire would be connected if you were tapping into the tail light to get 12v and that's also a scenario where you may need the rectifier if the voltage is not consistent enough.

That's interesting - I'm not massively impressed with the picture quality on mine so I'll have to try cutting the white wire to see how much better AHD is than CVBS.

Weird that you got a better picture when you disconnected the ground! Where would the camera be getting a ground from otherwise - as it definitely needs one as a reference for the 12 V power from somewhere! It needs a potential difference to work!

Also, any idea what the difference between the "After Track Loading" and "Aftermarket 360" camera setting options in the Mr12Volt settings is? Both options seem to work and can't see any difference between how they work!

Last edited by TheWoj; 11-08-2021 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #349
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoj View Post
Quote:

That's interesting - I'm not massively impressed with the picture quality on mine so I'll have to try cutting the white wire to see how much better AHD is than CVBS.

Weird that you got a better picture when you disconnected the ground! Where would the camera be getting a ground from otherwise - as it definitely needs one as a reference for the 12 V power from somewhere! It needs a potential difference to work!

Also, any idea what the difference between the "After Track Loading" and "Aftermarket 360" camera setting options in the Mr12Volt settings is? Both options seem to work and can't see any difference between how they work!
The difference in video quality is noticeable between CVBS and AHD. It's a bit more crisp looking but nothing huge. I'd say the night vision is noticeably better. I'm happy with the better resolution. I'm still getting used to the fisheye lens though.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the cam ground happens through the video composite cable, the yellow one, outer ring. It's a shared ground I think. If anyone is more electrically savvy please correct me

Those two cam setting are very poorly written, I have no idea what the difference is.

I also wonder if maybe this was causing audio interference issues with the mic splitter?

If anyone has tried the mic splitter without a camera connected, please let us know if you still had audio issues!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #350
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
If anyone has tried the mic splitter without a camera connected, please let us know if you still had audio issues!

*Raises Hand*

No camera on my car. (Yet) Will probably do the 100% OEM method whenever I get around to it.
Appreciate 1
dandandan101.50
      11-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #351
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcsk View Post
Has anyone else had iphone issues or is it just me?
I haven't heard back from support on the iPhone and noisy Bluetooth calling issues from a Sunday email and a Whatsapp attempt today, so I'm not sure from their opinion.
An update: After a month of no working carplay, I received my new CCC unit and installed it today. All is working!
So if you have issues with never being able to connect with carplay, contact support. It took them a while and the replacement came from China, but I'm happy to have it working right.

I took the opportunity to install the supplied mic. I kept the mount on it and used the adhesive strip on the mount to secure it in place with the mic facing down into the car (picture) in the empty right slot. After testing, voice control picks me up perfectly and the wife, with me testing while driving, said it sounds as good as if not better than the factory unit. For now, I've turned off the factory Bluetooth.

The only negative thus far is that the hang up button on the steering wheel does nothing while on a call, but it's not a big deal.

My suggestion is to not bother with the mic splitter and just install the supplied mic next to the OEM mic.

I also installed a microSD extender to hopefully make future updates easier. I have not been able to try if it works because the unit came with the latest firmware.
Attached Images

Last edited by netcsk; 11-08-2021 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #352
Jerezblack.m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcsk View Post
An update: After a month of no working carplay, I received my new CCC unit and installed it today. All is working!
So if you have issues with never being able to connect with carplay, contact support. It took them a while and the replacement came from China, but I'm happy to have it working right.

I took the opportunity to install the supplied mic. I kept the mount on it and used the adhesive strip on the mount to secure it in place with the mic facing down into the car (picture) in the empty right slot. After testing, voice control picks me up perfectly and the wife, with me testing while driving, said it sounds as good as if not better than the factory unit. For now, I've turned off the factory Bluetooth.

The only negative thus far is that the hang up button on the steering wheel does nothing while on a call, but it's not a big deal.

My suggestion is to not bother with the mic splitter and just install the supplied mic next to the OEM mic.

I also installed a micro USB extender to hopefully make future updates easier. I have not been able to try if it works because the unit came with the latest firmware.
Can you send us some acp resolution? I have a ccc and still deciding if i should get it or not.
Appreciate 0