BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
nolaman1970
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
No Sounds MOST "No Warning Tones" - Solved

2011 BMW M3 - E93 with Top HiFi and CIC display.

Try to keep this short, I ordered the AVIN Android display to replace my factory display. I pulled the original CIC display out and tested the Android unit using the splitter that goes on the back of the radio head unit, I didn't realize the Fiber MOST cable needed to stay on the head unit side connection. I was getting no sounds. So I pulled the Android unit out and reconnected the original display back with the original connections. I was getting sound again, now that I realized the MOST fiber cables needed to stay in the original location I tried to install the Android unit again. Now no matter what I do I can no longer get any sounds even with the original hardware back in place. The Aux port does not display as an option anymore also. So researching it seems like the MOST system is not making a full loop. I have checked all fuses in the fuse panel, tried resetting the radio holding eject and power at the same time. The only other thing that was unplugged was the battery to install the new unit, I would think programming would not be lost doing this? (my custom coding is still there like folding mirrors with key fob). Red light comes out of the fiber connection at the head unit but only when I disconnect and reconnect the battery for a few seconds, this light shows up coming out of the cable going into the amp in the trunk also. Right now I am not sure if it is a component failed in the MOST system, like the AMP, or another module in the trunk.

I have a test loop but haven't been successful bypassing the 2 modules I found in the trunk, I found he AMP, and another Module. Are there any other modules I could put the test loop on?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you for any ideas on how to test or isolate the issue.

Thank you,
Lonnie

Last edited by nolaman1970; 04-30-2019 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Solved
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
nolaman1970
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Head Unit MOST Pins Pushed In - No Warning Tones or Sounds

I had to bring it to the dealer, it took them a while to figure it out.
Turns out the MOST Fiber Pins coming out of the back of the Radio were pushed into the head unit. They were able to take the radio apart and push them back out. So now I know somehow the AVIN connector/splitter that plugs into the head unit with the MOST cable moved to it, somehow pushed the head units MOST connection in.

Been very frustrating, now it makes sense.

Picture included I hope this helps someone, if you know other places to post please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaman1970 View Post
2011 BMW M3 - E93 with Top HiFi and CIC display.

Try to keep this short, I ordered the AVIN Android display to replace my factory display. I pulled the original CIC display out and tested the Android unit using the splitter that goes on the back of the radio head unit, I didn't realize the Fiber MOST cable needed to stay on the head unit side connection. I was getting no sounds. So I pulled the Android unit out and reconnected the original display back with the original connections. I was getting sound again, now that I realized the MOST fiber cables needed to stay in the original location I tried to install the Android unit again. Now no matter what I do I can no longer get any sounds even with the original hardware back in place. The Aux port does not display as an option anymore also. So researching it seems like the MOST system is not making a full loop. I have checked all fuses in the fuse panel, tried resetting the radio holding eject and power at the same time. The only other thing that was unplugged was the battery to install the new unit, I would think programming would not be lost doing this? (my custom coding is still there like folding mirrors with key fob). Red light comes out of the fiber connection at the head unit but only when I disconnect and reconnect the battery for a few seconds, this light shows up coming out of the cable going into the amp in the trunk also. Right now I am not sure if it is a component failed in the MOST system, like the AMP, or another module in the trunk.

I have a test loop but haven't been successful bypassing the 2 modules I found in the trunk, I found he AMP, and another Module. Are there any other modules I could put the test loop on?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you for any ideas on how to test or isolate the issue.

Thank you,
Lonnie
Attached Images

Appreciate 0