BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
Watersedge1234
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/FR M3 Coupe

Error 2B0D - Already replaced ICV

Hey guys and gals -

Fighting an issue that i've been having for awhile - my car runs great as long as I don't move the car until its completed the cold-start, but if i pull it out of the garage before the cold-start cycle ends it will go into limp. It has never gone into limp mode on the road, just during the cold start.

I've swapped the O2 sensors and ICV at this point. Cleared codes today and induced the issue and the only thing that came up was 2B0D which points to the ICV that was just replaced. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Watersedge1234; 05-01-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
Majdi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersedge1234 View Post
Hey guys and gals -

Fighting an issue that i've been having for awhile - my car runs great as long as I don't move the car until its completed the cold-start, but if i pull it out of the garage before the cold-start cycle ends it will go into limp. It has never gone into limp mode on the road, just during the cold start.

I've swapped the O2 sensors and ICV at this point. Cleared codes today and induced the issue and the only thing that came up was 2B0D which points to the ICV that was just replaced. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance!
How many miles on the car? Original TA'S?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Watersedge1234
Private
Rep

85k on the car, on the original actuators. I figured that could contribute and should've swapped them when I swapped the ICV, but at the time they were still $900 a pop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4org1ve View Post
How many miles on the car? Original TA'S?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Watersedge1234
Private
Rep

Anddd I'm back. TAs did not fix the problem.

At this point I've replace the ICV, TAs, and O2 sensors were replaced 4000 miles ago. Plugs and coils were also replaced 4000 miles ago. Checked exhaust manifold to test pipes and everything's good and tight.

Only code I'm getting is 2B0D, and only occurs if I move the car during the cold start cycle. The car never has issues after cold start if I let it idle and run its course. Not a big deal but obviously we all want our cars running 100%!

Any ideas? Vacuum leak somewhere perhaps? Trying to wrap my head around it. Car idles smooth after cold start, and now starts up instantly (used to bog before I replaced the ICV).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersedge1234 View Post
Anddd I'm back. TAs did not fix the problem.

At this point I've replace the ICV, TAs, and O2 sensors were replaced 4000 miles ago. Plugs and coils were also replaced 4000 miles ago. Checked exhaust manifold to test pipes and everything's good and tight.

Only code I'm getting is 2B0D, and only occurs if I move the car during the cold start cycle. The car never has issues after cold start if I let it idle and run its course. Not a big deal but obviously we all want our cars running 100%!

Any ideas? Vacuum leak somewhere perhaps? Trying to wrap my head around it. Car idles smooth after cold start, and now starts up instantly (used to bog before I replaced the ICV).
What is the condition of your battery? Are you running the latest software and tried reinstalling? Either the boots or the connectors are not snug.
      06-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Watersedge1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
What is the condition of your battery? Are you running the latest software and tried reinstalling? Either the boots or the connectors are not snug.
Back yet again. Battery swap also did not fix the error. I'm at a bit of a loss here - the car runs fine unless I move it during the cold start cycle. It only does it if the car is dead cold - if I go into a store and come back out it will run cold start but no issues. It only occurs when I move the car during cold start - once revs lower and stabilize the car runs as it should.

Same error - 2B0D. Checked for exhaust leaks and everything seems tight. Anyone else had an issue like this before? It's not deal breaking but annoying nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Did you find a fix? I’m having same issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #8
kaotik182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 IB E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
Did you find a fix? I’m having same issue.
+1
Looking for fix too. Thanks!
      08-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotik182 View Post
Quote:
Did you find a fix? I'm having same issue.
+1
Found another thread with same issue - guy stated it was the donut gaskets connecting the headers to his xpipe. Going to change that
      08-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #10
kaotik182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 IB E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+1
Found another thread with same issue - guy stated it was the donut gaskets connecting the headers to his xpipe. Going to change that
Thanks for the update. Please let me know if that fixes your issue. Thanks!
      08-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+1
Thanks for the update. Please let me know if that fixes your issue. Thanks!
I changed donut gaskets and cold start is way better. Had a "popping" noise before during the cold start Thats gone too now.
Attached Images

03-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #12
TheTrackDude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3 (Track), '10 E92 M3

Did that fix it OP? Have the same code.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 05:25 PM   #13
FerrariRedF80
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Xdrive SPY / YMB

Any updates on this. We have done all the same steps and still having the same issue. Exactly the same.
      04-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #14
TheTrackDude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update on my side: So, I was suffering the same codes. Changing that ICV was a pita (I yelled many German profanities). I replaced both the ICV/hose and the fuel tank breather valve (some other hoses while I was in there, and even broke the crank-case breather hose connector that connects to the front of the bottom of the intake plenum (so much rage that day), but I bandaided that for now (with some clever trick). I'm not getting any of the code(s) anymore. I'm planning on bring the car into the shop (waiting for the new lift to come in) to replace that Crank breather hose (F that), and do a cooling system refresh while it's in. Happy to answer any questions after doing that job (pita).

I checked my exhaust donuts, they were fine btw for me.

My codes below. Thermostat may be due to a sticky thermostat (going to refresh the cooling system either way).
2B0D ICV is no longer present after probably 10 drives of varying length (after changing the ICV/hose, and for good measure, the fuel tanke breather valve).

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// BMW Trouble Code list
//
// ECU Type : Siemens DME MSS60
//
// 1) 2B59 Coolant thermostat monitor
// 2) 2B0D Idling speed control valve monitor bank 1
// 3) 2B57 Motor emergency programm activated

Last edited by TheTrackDude; 04-05-2022 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #15
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrackDude View Post
Update on my side: So, I was suffering the same codes. Changing that ICV was a pita (I yelled many German profanities). I replaced both the ICV/hose and the fuel tank breather valve (some other hoses while I was in there, and even broke the crank-case breather hose connector that connects to the front of the bottom of the intake plenum (so much rage that day), but I bandaided that for now (with some clever trick). I'm not getting any of the code(s) anymore. I'm planning on bring the car into the shop (waiting for the new lift to come in) to replace that Crank breather hose (F that), and do a cooling system refresh while it's in. Happy to answer any questions after doing that job (pita).

I checked my exhaust donuts, they were fine btw for me.

My codes below. Thermostat may be due to a sticky thermostat (going to refresh the cooling system either way).
2B0D ICV is no longer present after probably 10 drives of varying length (after changing the ICV/hose, and for good measure, the fuel tanke breather valve).

// BMW Trouble Code list
//
// ECU Type : Siemens DME MSS60
//
// 1) 2B59 Coolant thermostat monitor
// 2) 2B0D Idling speed control valve monitor bank 1
// 3) 2B57 Motor emergency programm activated

Did you figure out the culprit? I'm running into this same issue after installing new TAs, 02 sensors and X-Pipe - threw in new header donut gaskets and I'm still getting the 2B0D code, the car ran great before installing these parts =(
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:57 PM   #16
TheTrackDude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Did you figure out the culprit? I'm running into this same issue after installing new TAs, 02 sensors and X-Pipe - threw in new header donut gaskets and I'm still getting the 2B0D code, the car ran great before installing these parts =(
the ICV replacement got rid of the core issue. I also did the a cooling system refresh after that to get rid of my intermittent coolant thermostate sensor code, and now now codes are getting thrown, so yeah.. it seems to be fixed, and in my case, the ICV was the culprit. My old unit was pretty dirty (having looked at it a bit, not necessarily here/there, but I can imagine it being involved, around 109k miles on the clock fyi.

My exhaust donuts were fine, not releated at all in my case.

Sadly, in the final steps, my 1.5 year old repaired footwell module crapped out. So I went for a new retail unit this time (le sigh, this car, I swear...)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:58 PM   #17
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrackDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
the ICV replacement got rid of the core issue. I also did the a cooling system refresh after that to get rid of my intermittent coolant thermostate sensor code, and now now codes are getting thrown, so yeah.. it seems to be fixed, and in my case, the ICV was the culprit. My old unit was pretty dirty (having looked at it a bit, not necessarily here/there, but I can imagine it being involved, around 109k miles on the clock fyi.

My exhaust donuts were fine, not releated at all in my case.

Sadly, in the final steps, my 1.5 year old repaired footwell module crapped out. So I went for a new retail unit this time (le sigh, this car, I swear...)
Haha damn, I've had 3 of these over the years and all have been great except this one which is intended to be 90% track focused so I want to make it totally bulletproof. I noticed a cracked idle control valve hose to the plenum which is likely the culprit.

Think I'll replace the ICV + other hoses/valves anyways just to be safe with 90k miles and unknown maintenance history.
      03-13-2024, 09:41 PM   #18
Alpinecoupe92
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Restarting this thread, I’ve got the same issue as Watersedge, 2B0D only triggers when moving the car on cold cold start. I can clear it and drive no issues, I’ve cleaned the idle control valve and have looked into the brake pressure sensor but haven’t installed yet. Could this be my ICV electronics or something more simple?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 08:26 PM   #19
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinecoupe92 View Post
Restarting this thread, I’ve got the same issue as Watersedge, 2B0D only triggers when moving the car on cold cold start. I can clear it and drive no issues, I’ve cleaned the idle control valve and have looked into the brake pressure sensor but haven’t installed yet. Could this be my ICV electronics or something more simple?
Do you have other codes showing up? Specifically generic OBD2 codes not codes created by BMW?

Do you go into the limp mode?
What lights do you see on the dashboard?
Have checked harness connection going to ICV? Make sure it's clean and tight.
During the "warm up cycle" the PCM does some specific things that may be whats going on with your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 11:08 AM   #20
Alpinecoupe92
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Do you have other codes showing up? Specifically generic OBD2 codes not codes created by BMW?

Do you go into the limp mode?
What lights do you see on the dashboard?
Have checked harness connection going to ICV? Make sure it's clean and tight.
During the "warm up cycle" the PCM does some specific things that may be whats going on with your car.
I actually had the Idle control valve out to clean it and the connection was solid no issues there. I get a DSc fault and flat tire monitor on CIC along with CEL and yellow brake indicator on the dash. I just did the brake vacuum sensor last night but didn’t intentionally trip the limp by moving the car while cold starting. But I did notice the second stage of cold start where the car is still idling choppily but lower rev, my seat will move a bit and eventually it cleans up and goes to standard idle, exhaust quiets etc. this leads me to believe it’s MAP or ICV electronics because they are driving this cold start idle flow. I’m doing map this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 01:25 AM   #21
Feezed
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinecoupe92 View Post
I’m having this exact same thing. Had the ICV replaced but that didn’t totally solve it. Did you figure out what caused it on your car?
Appreciate 0