BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #221
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thongvua View Post
Alright, I finally put everything together and took the first drive tonight.

Here is the verdict:
- The car now drives like a dream, no clunk whatsoever, no vibration (I only got up to 75 mph, don't judge me you don't know which road I was on ), no weird noise, as a matter of fact the drivetrain is now much more quiet. And this is the best part: the 6MT transmission now shifts smooth like butter, no jerkiness from gear 1 to 2 (which I frequently got) and I feel increased torque across all gears especially the higher ones.

Attached are some pics showing the final clearance after installation, including how far the CV extended after both ends are fully torqued.

Thanks Mfactory for an excellent product!
Here are the technical specs:

Compressed - 25mm
Free Length - 38mm
Extended - 48mm

Your measurement after installation - 41mm

You should be fine, but if you get the chance, maybe try to massage it forward slightly if possible?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:21 AM   #222
thongvua
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

I'm not sure how I would be able to massage it in anyway since both ends are torque'd.

I have put a bit more than 100 miles since then and it seems fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 05:42 AM   #223
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
Thong, any tips or trick regarding install?
Give a shout if you run into trouble installing yours. Did mine almost two years ago. Had to drop the diff to get it installed. Long way of saying I had to take almost everything apart to get it done.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #224
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Preliminary reports are saying the DCT shaft fits. Install was just wrapped up today. I have not been able to drive the car yet.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      03-07-2019, 03:22 AM   #225
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Preliminary reports are saying the DCT shaft fits. Install was just wrapped up today. I have not been able to drive the car yet.
Sounds good. Please keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #226
slicer
Major General
Rep

Pics and install courtesy of MRF Engineering in Lake Forrest, CA -

Stock Shaft - 23.2 lbs
Carbon Shaft - 13.2 lbs

Installation Pics below including gratuitous Rear Sub-Frame pic. It's not necessary to fully drop the rear sub frame to install the drive shaft. We did so to install a new rear sway bar (Eibach bar was rubbing my shocks - switched to Hotchkis).

M-factory by slicerM, on Flickr

M-factory by slicerM, on Flickr

Untitled by slicerM, on Flickr

Untitled by slicerM, on Flickr
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 03-08-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 8
Timujin351.50
Not Sure212.50
Lienrocs701.00
Adrian g.243.50
Samo6556130.50
Malek@MRF730.50
      03-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #227
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Suddenly I feel the need to have a Carbon Driveshaft, a rear subframe bushing/sway redo, rear diffuser and an extra capacity DCT pan in black.

Seriously, I am getting the clunk sound with a subtle low frequency hum under acceleration. Can't wait to get your driving impressions.
      03-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #228
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
Suddenly I feel the need to have a Carbon Driveshaft, a rear subframe bushing/sway redo, rear diffuser and an extra capacity DCT pan in black.

Seriously, I am getting the clunk sound with a subtle low frequency hum under acceleration. Can't wait to get your driving impressions.
Don't forget to get a sway bar, all the SPL arms, Spring Arm Monball bushings, and Powerflex purple diff bushings! I mean while you are in there....
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      03-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #229
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I have engine and subframe stand envy
      03-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #230
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I have engine and subframe stand envy
MRF Engineering

A few S65's on deck...
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #231
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

Pre-order update here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...0#post24440320
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #232
thongvua
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have done about 500 miles since installation, so far so good. Took it to 110mph a couple times too and it seems fine, no vibration.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #233
slicer
Major General
Rep

Update / Review -

As previously stated, I have the DCT prototype Drive Shaft. I picked up the car from MRF Engineering last Friday and immediately drove the car from Irvine to Palm Springs. I then proceeded to drive to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway for a day at the track on Saturday. Then a drive home to Santa Barbara - total of 600 miles use. Overall the shaft performed wonderfully, no issues, no abnormal sounds. Below is a summary of my thoughts.

Street -

I immediately detected a little extra 'snap' (no pun intended). The car responds quicker than it did previously. There's less slop in the drivetrain and it responds to throttle input more directly and quickly. The car feels faster and simply better. I did not detect any abnormal sounds. Literally no downside to the shaft, only upside! I must admit that I was not expecting to detect much difference but I was delighted to experience such an obvious improvement.

Track -

Same findings as the street. It is direct and responsive. The car did what I wanted it to do more quickly. Throttle input was just a little more immediate. Shifts hit a little harder. Most importantly there were no issues! I enjoyed 4 sessions with the car and handed to keys to two of my friends for 2 more on top of that. Overall the driveshaft performed flawlessly.

I have done many modifications to the car that weren't obviously detectable. Many very subtle changes that amounted to an overall improved car. The CF driveshaft was immediately detectable, immediate improvement. I was very pleased to experience that result. I would definitely recommend this modification at this point - assuming it proves to be reliable!

Side Note - Malek at MRF once again nailed the alignment on the car. I had a wonderful day at CVR. The Driveshaft, alignment and suspension setup were all on point.

Photo by @millerphotocollective (Instagram)

CVR by slicerM, on Flickr
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 03-18-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 9
roastbeef11584.50
E90who435.00
Milas29.50
donut_boi997.50
Not Sure212.50
Malek@MRF730.50
Lienrocs701.00
6ixSpd6014.50
      03-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #234
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

How much front camber is that?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #235
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Update / Review -

As previously stated, I have the DCT prototype Drive Shaft. I picked up the car from MRF Engineering last Friday and immediately drove the car from Irvine to Palm Springs. I then proceeded to drive to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway for a day at the track on Saturday. Then a drive home to Santa Barbara - total of 600 miles use. Overall the shaft performed wonderfully, no issues, no abnormal sounds. Below is a summary of my thoughts.

Street -

I immediately detected a little extra 'snap' (no pun intended). The car responds quicker than it did previously. There's less slop in the drivetrain and it responds to throttle input more directly and quickly. The car feels faster and simply better. I did not detect any abnormal sounds. Literally no downside to the shaft, only upside! I must admit that I was not expecting to detect much difference but I was delighted to experience such an obvious improvement.

Track -

Same findings as the street. It is direct and responsive. The car did what I wanted it to do more quickly. Throttle input was just a little more immediate. Shifts hit a little harder. Most importantly there were no issues! I enjoyed 4 sessions with the car and handed to keys to two of my friends for 2 more on top of that. Overall the driveshaft performed flawlessly.

I have done many modifications to the car that weren't obviously detectable. Many very subtle changes that amounted to an overall improved car. The CF driveshaft was immediately detectable, immediate improvement. I was very pleased to experience that result. I would definitely recommend this modification at this point - assuming it proves to be reliable!

Side Note - Malek at MRF once again nailed the alignment on the car. I had a wonderful day at CVR. The Driveshaft, alignment and suspension setup were all on point.

MFactory CF Drive Shaft
Slon DTC pan
Hood latches
what else is new ??

:-)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #236
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian g. View Post
MFactory CF Drive Shaft
Slon DTC pan
Hood latches
what else is new ??

:-)
Let's see - Karbonius intake, first time on A052, Hotchkis sways (Eibach rubbed my rear Öhlins TTX shocks due to large shock diameter), and a fresh alignment.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #237
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
How much front camber is that?
-3.5 degrees
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      03-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #238
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I've been saying for a long time that the carbon shaft is like the "second stage" mod of the solid sub/diff bushings- it simply enhances that solid feeling. People that don't have it are quite dismissive about it, too. Although 12 lbs doesn't sound like much, it's weight loss in the best possible place.
      03-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #239
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Low down is not the best place to save weight, rotational mass is the best type of weight to save. However, I don’t think anyone but a race car driver will feel more power from less drivetrain loss through a lighter driveshaft. I think that many drivers will be able to feel a more direct connection between the transmission and differential by going from a 2 piece drive shaft to a one piece shaft.

I have been running one for a year or two. No vibration issues even at 150 mph. I did not find significant reductions in clunkiness. The stock shaft was clunky, possibly due to the 80k miles of use. The one piece CF shaft is clunky, possibly because it does not have any play in the center. This is with a 6MT; it may be that computer shifted cars are less clunky.

I do get diff whine at certain speeds in certain gears. I think this is more likely due to my stiffer diff bushings than the one piece CF shaft.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #240
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Low down is not the best place to save weight, rotational mass is the best type of weight to save. However, I don’t think anyone but a race car driver will feel more power from less drivetrain loss through a lighter driveshaft. I think that many drivers will be able to feel a more direct connection between the transmission and differential by going from a 2 piece drive shaft to a one piece shaft.

I have been running one for a year or two. No vibration issues even at 150 mph. I did not find significant reductions in clunkiness. The stock shaft was clunky, possibly due to the 80k miles of use. The one piece CF shaft is clunky, possibly because it does not have any play in the center. This is with a 6MT; it may be that computer shifted cars are less clunky.

I do get diff whine at certain speeds in certain gears. I think this is more likely due to my stiffer diff bushings than the one piece CF shaft.
Right. You don't feel more power, you feel more car. It can be difficult to describe. One of my favorite mods with no downside.
Timujin351.50
      03-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #241
thongvua
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post

I have zero clunk with the CF driveshaft and mine is 6MT. The OE driveshaft clunked occasionally especially going from 1st to 2nd gear. I suspect your clunks are coming from somewhere else in the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 11:38 PM   #242
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thongvua View Post
I have zero clunk with the CF driveshaft and mine is 6MT. The OE driveshaft clunked occasionally especially going from 1st to 2nd gear. I suspect your clunks are coming from somewhere else in the drivetrain.
I've not experienced what I'd call a "clunk" with my 6MT, but the whole drivetrain has always "bucked" in 1st gear when the motor is cold. It's more pronounced now with the CF shaft, but like everyone else here has said, I love this shaft. It's one of those rare mods that's better than OEM with no drawbacks.