BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #45
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

You guys are looking through a man's eyes, a logical man's eyes. Think like a woman for a second, most have nfi, get the largest weight your budget allows with good colour imho.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441012.00
      07-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #46
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
I just proposed to my fiancé in April and bought the ring from Bluenile...I had zero concern going with them from all the positive reviews I've read. The ring was incredible and they've updated their packaging so it looks more premium. You get an appraisal with it (although I went and got another one locally). They also offer free ring resizing and cleaning.

I had a tough time picking between Bluenile or James Allen, but ultimately went with Bluenile because they had a ring setting that was more in line with what she wanted.

Both are great, save yourself a ton of money—don't bother with brick & mortar stores. Do your research on the 4K's and work within your budget.
Appreciate 1
Who?484.50
      07-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #47
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Just to add—as someone else mentioned, make sure you get the ring insured..and if you can, find an insurer that deals specifically with jewelry like Jewelers Mutual. I use them and I prefer them over tacking on the ring to my home/auto insurance as they offer way better coverage. Again, do your homework and ask all the questions you want answered.
Appreciate 2
Who?484.50
      07-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #48
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

+1 on Jewlers Mutual...not wedding band related, but I filed a claim on an equally expensive lost earring and there was ZERO hassle. They are an absolute pleasure to deal with and well worth the annual premiums.

Generally speaking, worry about the setting FIRST; then start looking at specific stones that best complement that setting. I also found that cut is the MOST important of all characteristics. The shine/sparkle is the first thing you notice with the naked eye given that stones with higher cut quality far outshine otherwise "flawless" diamonds. For that reason, cut is paramount IMO. This sums it up pretty well as I can attest to it first hand:
"Cut grade is the most important factor in determining the overall appearance of a diamond because a poorly cut diamond will seem dull even with excellent clarity and color. Conversely, a well cut diamond can have a slightly lower color (G-H) or clarity (SI1-SI2) and still look quite beautiful, due to its superior ability to create sparkle and brilliance."

Forget the color, clarity, etc. BS. All that goes out the window when you're looking at ~30 stones side-by-side where certain ones will stand out well above the others, regardless of their grade, for the reasons listed above. Don't go into it saying "I'm only going to consider VVS1 stones, etc." Again, you'll easily pick out the best choice for your setting when presented with all the different options within your price range.

In regards to where to get your engagement ring, it really depends on the style of ring and what your options are locally IMO. If it's a solitaire, then all you're really looking for is a diamond and a setting; you get it inspected/cleaned once a year by your favorite local jewelry shop and you're good to go...not much can go wrong there.

If you're considering a halo style ring, or anything with smaller diamonds that will accent the larger/main stone though, here's where you'd likely want to go with a local shop. Reason being is that the more stones present, the higher the chance you will end up with a loose and/or missing stone.

After looking at all the options, I was set on a halo style ring and extremely glad I went with a local shop given that all inspections, cleanings, adjustments, and even lost stone replacement is covered for FREE for LIFE. This has already come in handy more than once in the last ~2 years since I proposed. Given that gold is a relatively soft metal, it doesn't take much for things to change shape and you'll be surprised by how much prongs shift with daily wear (this may be different with theoretically stronger platinum settings, but still something to think about).

From a pricing perspective, our jeweler was so close to the online shops that I didn't even bother considering the online route, especially given the perks they offer. I realize not everyone is in close proximity to family run jewelry stores that have been in business for 100+ years, but make sure to exhaust your search locally before going online for the reasons mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
Who?484.50
      07-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #49
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
One more thing OP... if you are spending a lot, make sure it is insured from the time you take possession / ownership transfers to you.
That’s a good point. One thing is, the appraisal they send is on the higher side. That’s great if you ever have to redeem but you’ll also be paying higher insurance. I had hers reappraised for a $2k more than I paid.
      07-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #50
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

I'm going to go out into leftfield on this reply.

The old addage

"You "can" buy 2 rings in life, an engagement ring, and a wedding ring , you get your suffering thrown in for free"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
Anyone purchase an engagement ring from blue nile? Any feedback would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #51
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Your engagement ring should cost you at least 3 months salary (or is it 3 weeks ) to show her "How much you love her"

slip on a mini doughnut ring on her finger, and if she proves herself, then spring out for the real thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
Anyone purchase an engagement ring from blue nile? Any feedback would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #52
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I had to spring for an eternity ring, which I was told you give em, when they have there first baby, bought for 3k, appraised at $7k
you'da thought that was BJ material there... NOPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
That’s a good point. One thing is, the appraisal they send is on the higher side. That’s great if you ever have to redeem but you’ll also be paying higher insurance. I had hers reappraised for a $2k more than I paid.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #53
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
To the OP. A 2 carat vvs H is a hell of a rock. And I’m a girl. Go for it. Congrats.
Appreciate 1
Who?484.50
      07-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #54
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
To the OP. A 2 carat vvs H is a hell of a rock. And I’m a girl. Go for it. Congrats.
H is too yellow. I got a 2 carat D flawless and an H looks like a canary diamond next to it.

Cut is the most important of the Cs.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #55
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
H is too yellow. I got a 2 carat D flawless and an H looks like a canary diamond next to it.

yeah, cant afford a d, canary will do
      07-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #56
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Which ever you choose, you're good. As long as you're in the vvs or vs you have good clarity. The cost increase from H to F could be significant. H with vvs is an impressive stone. If you look at H vs F side by side, you can see the difference. However, if you look at the H on it's own, it's a nice clear color.

Good luck
Next to it is the key here. Not everyone can afford a flawless D. Glad you can but to tell the guy H looks like a canary is rude and obnoxious.

Who? - There is nothing wrong with your choice. She will be thrilled. I would however go with a white gold or platinum setting as the stone could reflect the color of the setting.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #57
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Next to it is the key here. Not everyone can afford a flawless D. Glad you can but to tell the guy H looks like a canary is rude and obnoxious.

Who? - There is nothing wrong with your choice. She will be thrilled. I would however go with a white gold or platinum setting as the stone could reflect the color of the setting.
Best not to take it seriously. Some people like to put other people down to make them feel better, it stems from insecurity and a need to compensate for some sort of shortcomming

And ueah, ive committed to the ring in platinum setting
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15693.50
      07-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #58
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:

D, E, and F all look very similar in color. If you have the money, sure go D or E, but F is plenty colorless to 99% of eyes.
      07-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #59
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:

Disagree. Colour, then cut, then clarity.

A good cut can make a less clear diamond still sparkle. But it cant do anything for an off colour diamond.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #60
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Diamonds and engagement rings, two of the biggest scams going.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7558.50
      07-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #61
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Diamonds and engagement rings, two of the biggest scams going.
That's why you get it insured
      07-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #62
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
My thought has always been that an engagement ring is a purchase where you go all out. She is going to stare at it for hours and show it to everyone. Make a statement.
      07-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #63
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's why you get it insured
No, that's why you don't get it at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #64
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
^This. IDK how he missed the point of your post...

That said, marriage is the scam and the diamond is just a component of it.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #65
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
^This. IDK how he missed the point of your post...

That said, marriage is the scam and the diamond is just a component of it.
Are either of you married or divorced? Women like diamonds, we like cars, to each their own.

If you don't spend much on the ring, insurance is pointless but if you spend what I spent, insurance is important. It gives her piece of mind if something were to happen to it (stolen, lost etc).
      07-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #66
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are either of you married or divorced? Women like diamonds, we like cars, to each their own.

If you don't spend much on the ring, insurance is pointless but if you spend what I spent, insurance is important. It gives her piece of mind if something were to happen to it (stolen, lost etc).
Cars vs diamond, talk about apples to oranges.

Peace*
Appreciate 0