BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

02-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #23
Charlievee
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Most of the TA rebuilders will replace the gears and mosfets which will set you back around 200 bucks total for both if you do it yourself.

100v, 20a, style 252 mosfet.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068709

Would replace out all 4 mosfets (the 2 sets next to each other.
http://www.qdi-ltd.co.uk/qerauto/img...ator-board.jpg

The gears can be bought cheap on eBay, but the OEM shaft need to be reused and the gear needs to be drilled and pinned to the old shaft. The i6 ones mentioned above have the shaft included which makes for an easier job.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #24
Jason Bayliff
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Changing the gears and mosfets alone will not always work, they need a a full electrical upgrade. voltage regulators, memory chips, CAN IC's.

Plus 80% of the 3rd party gear kits on the market are worst then the worn BMW ones.

Please believe me, I know these inside out, enough people have recommended my rebuild service on this thread alone.

Jason

I now stock these on the USA for a next day delivery
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #25
pubo
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bayliff View Post
Changing the gears and mosfets alone will not always work, they need a a full electrical upgrade. voltage regulators, memory chips, CAN IC's.
Mate, you do understand that by changing or so called "upgrading" each of these components you're literally changing the whole design spec of the module? Collectively, they MIGHT even cause some unforeseen situation.

From your other post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bayliff View Post

Fitting a gear kit and a couple of mosfets doesn’t fix the issue. The actuators need to be fully upgraded. Higher power components, higher temperature rated components and better quality parts.

Jason
Components on the actuator itself are already automotive grade, which is -55°C ~ 175°C (TJ), doubt you could do better than that.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #26
jromaine
Rep
Drives: Frozen Grey E92 M3

Craig what sorts of issues were you experiencing?

I floored my car today and it literally did nothing (like it stalled or something) then all hell broke loose and it took off. Difficult to describe except it was like a total loss of power momentarily.

Is this indicative of TBA failing?

I havent received any error codes.

PS - No it wasn't traction control, it did the same thing whilst in neutral (completely stopped)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #27
blad181
Rep
Drives: soon to be e92 m3

on the e92 m3s are Ta something that will have to be replaced frequently like replacing tires? or will there be a time where you wont have to worry about them anymore?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #28
blad181
Rep

does this problem happen often how many times will i have to replace both ta
's
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #29
Abdul
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blad181 View Post
on the e92 m3s are Ta something that will have to be replaced frequently like replacing tires? or will there be a time where you wont have to worry about them anymore?
Throttle Actuators fail anywhere from 30k miles up to 70k miles. Some even last slightly longer than that. But every single one of them will "fail" at one point or the other. Even if you buy a new OEM unit, it will fail.

That's why most people are going with the Rebuilt units that have upgraded gears and upgraded internal components backed with a transferable-lifetime warranty. So you never have to worry about them again. And the greatest thing is that they are affordable. Anywhere from $300.00-$800.00 in savings a set, depending on what country you live in.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #30
Abdul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blad181 View Post
does this problem happen often how many times will i have to replace both ta
's
It's always a better idea to replace both at the same time. It's a hassle doing all the work again to replace one. Especially if you're taking the car to a shop, you will be charged labor twice. So why not just replace both at the same time.

Majority of the time, you will only get an error for one unit first. The error for the other unit follows in the upcoming weeks or months, if you're lucky.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #31
blad181
Rep

thanks a bunch
Appreciate 1
Abdul1039.00
      10-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #32
phillay
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

Hi Abdul

I order and paid for a TA on Oct 16 with express shipping. I've emailed your business 3 times during that time with no replies. The tracking provided is not valid according to USPS.

Can you please reply to your emails?

thanks,

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul@mpowermotorsports View Post
It's always a better idea to replace both at the same time. It's a hassle doing all the work again to replace one. Especially if you're taking the car to a shop, you will be charged labor twice. So why not just replace both at the same time.

Majority of the time, you will only get an error for one unit first. The error for the other unit follows in the upcoming weeks or months, if you're lucky.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:16 PM   #33
Abdul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillay View Post
Hi Abdul

I order and paid for a TA on Oct 16 with express shipping. I've emailed your business 3 times during that time with no replies. The tracking provided is not valid according to USPS.

Can you please reply to your emails?

thanks,

Phil

Quote:

That's very strange. I didn't get any email. Let me check and see if they are going to spam it even the promo section. I'll shoot you an email in a few minutes.

The tracking number is automatically uploaded to your order. I'll send it over again. I'm sure you have it though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #34
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

[QUOTE=Abdul@mpowermotorsports;23921196]Throttle Actuators fail anywhere from 30k miles up to 70k miles. Some even last slightly longer than that. But every single one of them will "fail" at one point or the other. Even if you buy a new OEM unit, it will fail.

That's why most people are going with the Rebuilt units that have upgraded gears and upgraded internal components backed with a transferable-lifetime warranty. So you never have to worry about them again. And the greatest thing is that they are affordable. Anywhere from $300.00-$800.00 in savings a set, depending on what country

Can't you get bmw replacements from fcp euro that offer a lifetime warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #35
phillay
Private
Australia
Rep

you could get oem but if they fail again soon, it's a bit of a ball breaker to get them out. I've done this twice in the last month. I can get them in and out within 45 mins at home in the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #36
phillay
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks mate, all good now.

Quote:
That's very strange. I didn't get any email. Let me check and see if they are going to spam it even the promo section. I'll shoot you an email in a few minutes.

The tracking number is automatically uploaded to your order. I'll send it over again. I'm sure you have it though.
Appreciate 1
Abdul1039.00