BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
kultureshawk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

rx7 with ls1 swap

i'm still debating on buying a ls1 swap rx7 to add to my collecton since i know rotary can be a pain in the ass to rebuild ever 50k ugh.. i need more suggestion nay or yay?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
yay

norotor is a great forum if you need any help.

most are project cars and most dont have a/c
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorta kills the handling of that car. The rotary is so small and light. Replacing it with a small block V8 will destroy the fun of the car IMO. RX-7's were blast because they were light, 50/50 weight distribution and the stupidly high-revving motor.

I think you're better off spending the dough on a nice 3-rotor wankel and putting that in there. Do all the cooling mods you can and the engine will easily run 100-150k miles. Just keep oil in it and keep the temperatures down.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Sorta kills the handling of that car. The rotary is so small and light. Replacing it with a small block V8 will destroy the fun of the car IMO. RX-7's were blast because they were light, 50/50 weight distribution and the stupidly high-revving motor.
Spoken like someone who doesn't have a clue.

A stock aluminum LS-motor with accessories comes is only 27 lbs. heavier than a 13B-REW with turbos, IC, and all accessories. Most LS-swapped FDs end up around 2700-2800 lbs. with a full interior and 50/50 distribution, in line with a bone stock example. Many also remove AC, PS, ABS, etc., and more weight can shed easily. It's very easy to get a street-driveable weekend track-car in the 2600s. Here are the corner weights of one's full-interior, caged FD with a full tank of gas and him sitting in it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

I think you're better off spending the dough on a nice 3-rotor wankel and putting that in there. Do all the cooling mods you can and the engine will easily run 100-150k miles. Just keep oil in it and keep the temperatures down.
More nonsense. There goes your original point, too, since a 20B plus a turbo is significantly heavier than a 13B or an LS.

Anyone who tells you how reliable an RX-7 can be after "reliability mods" is either delusional or lying to your face. I know this because I have owned one. I bought a pristine 94 FD with 56K miles as a weekend car in 2005. I did everything you could imagine in terms of "reliability" and "cooling" mods. I have money, and I didn't skimp on anything. It was a complete nightmare. The FD RX-7, while among one of my favorite cars ever made and in history as one of the greatest sports cars ever made, is a complete and utter piece of shit. Unless you swap a V8 in it...

Not only are LS-swapped RX-7s worlds more reliable and simple, the motors themselves are bombproof. Options are also endless...you can go with a stock LS1 which you can buy for pennies and have a wonderful and amazingly fun 300RWHP 2700 lb. sports car, or go all out and build a 600+ RWHP all-motor LS7 and have a complete monster.

Approved.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post

A stock aluminum LS-motor with accessories comes is only 27 lbs. heavier than a 13B-REW with turbos, IC, and all accessories. Most LS-swapped FDs end up around 2700-2800 lbs. with a full interior and 50/50 distribution, in line with a bone stock example. Many also remove AC, PS, ABS, etc., and more weight can shed easily. It's very easy to get a street-driveable weekend track-car in the 2600s. Here are the corner weights of one's full-interior, caged FD with a full tank of gas and him sitting in it...

More nonsense. There goes your original point, too, since a 20B plus a turbo is significantly heavier than a 13B or an LS.

Anyone who tells you how reliable an RX-7 can be after "reliability mods" is either delusional or lying to your face. I know this because I have owned one. I bought a pristine 94 FD with 56K miles as a weekend car in 2005. I did everything you could imagine in terms of "reliability" and "cooling" mods. I have money, and I didn't skimp on anything. It was a complete nightmare. The FD RX-7, while among one of my favorite cars ever made and in history as one of the greatest sports cars ever made, is a complete and utter piece of shit. Unless you swap a V8 in it...

Not only are LS-swapped RX-7s worlds more reliable and simple, the motors themselves are bombproof. Options are also endless...you can go with a stock LS1 which you can buy for pennies and have a wonderful and amazingly fun 300RWHP 2700 lb. sports car, or go all out and build a 600+ RWHP all-motor LS7 and have a complete monster.

Approved.
What he said. Although I like the LS3 motor a little better than the LS1. Identical weight, but 25% more hp. 400hp w/o any mods.

I've seen this same motor in a Miata and it flat out demolished everything at the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
kultureshawk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Approved.

thanks I knew rotary had problems... I thought about buying it and supercharge it
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
kultureshawk
Enlisted Member
Rep

here are the pictures of the rx7
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Kevin M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

You have a pretty awesome collection. The RX7 will just add to it. Love the one above.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
NoMore335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi - SOLD

Depends on what you want to do w/the car
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMore335 View Post
Depends on what you want to do w/the car
Not really. I can't think of a single advantage a rotary-powered RX-7 has over one with an LS. Maybe if one is slightly masochistic and needs the gratification of something breaking every week?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
NoMore335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi - SOLD

Quote:
Not really. I can't think of a single advantage a rotary-powered RX-7 has over one with an LS. Maybe if one is slightly masochistic and needs the gratification of something breaking every week?
I meant if he wants to buy an RX-7 regardless. I would never buy a rotary RX-7, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultureshawk View Post
i'm still debating on buying a ls1 swap rx7 to add to my collecton since i know rotary can be a pain in the ass to rebuild ever 50k ugh.. i need more suggestion nay or yay?
Quote:

Not true, my FD lasted over 100k miles on the original motor with reliability mods. It was my daily for quite a while.
Appreciate 0