BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

04-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #1
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Project thread!

I'm prepping the car for the season, for which I'm way way behind. Still have a laundry list of work to complete in April, but I blame the 9 month old taking up all my time .

Anyhow, I want to improve my cooling setup.

Current: DO88 oil, CSF everything else, oil diverter, hood vents, pure water/wetter.

Unfortunately with the SC and Colorado's heat and lack of humidity, I've progressed my pace to a point that I'll put the car in limp mode after a couple laps. Which isn't a problem for TT, but kinda sucks for anything else and for the sake of the internals.

I had plans to run the MS24 angled bracket, ditch PS/AC coolers, and line up the oil, SC intercooler, directly in line with the radiator with some fabricated ducting in / out. Well, I don't have time for this this year. So next best thing is to improve the ingress, eliminate gaps, and explore some exit work in their stock config. Also kinda scared about ditching the crash beam.

First and foremost, the amount of slop and room for air to escape the coolers is wild. I'm running the Zebulon splitter and thus no under tray which results in the bumper plastic flexing to allow / redirect air under the oil cooler with ease. Lots of gaps on the sides and at the top of the radiator support. No way the coolers are running anywhere close to peak efficiency. This isn't just my car, I was looking at Gabe's while on the lift and he suffers from the same bumper slop. Sorry man.

Plans:
Fabricate dedicated aluminum ducting to completely seal the oil cooler, above oil into the SC / radiator, chop up the radiator support bracket to improve airflow from the kidneys downward and again seal the inlet into the main radiator.

Figured I'd share this project in case others have ideas, input, or are curious if I can make any meaningful improvements to the stock orientation.

First up, oil cooler!
- Mocked up the ingress ducting from cardboard. Following the principles of 30% inlet to the surface area of the radiator to accelerate intake. The gentle slope leading to the radiator should slow the air to effectively penetrate the whole cooling surface. Hopefully the slope isn't too extreme as the concern would be detached air, turbulence, and thus reduced cooling surface area. Fingers crossed!!! Second and equally important will be an exit path that again accelerates the exhausting air either under along the splitter or out the wheel wells.

As you can see I'll have to ditch the bottom bumper grated plastic which is fine, and incorporate a mesh to protect the oil cooler. My bumper is beat to shit so I couldn't care less about making a mess. I'll use some foam and bolts to close any gaps between the bottom of the duct and the bumper.

The resulting slope of the top ducting should improve airflow above the oil cooler as I'll be sealing off that as well to improve airflow into the intercooler and radiator behind it.

Part one is mock it up to cut and weld the aluminum.
Attached Images

slcook541859.50
tdott3930.50
Bartledoo2690.00
tsk941514.50
PHM314.50
      04-04-2022, 04:18 AM   #2
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Will be interesting to see the results of this project!

Just to be safe, make two of everything, so if it works, my set is ready to go!
Appreciate 6
rcracin1238.00
DRLane3968.00
b4hand661.00
slcook541859.50
Battle161.50
berns1557.00
      04-04-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Will be interesting to see the results of this project!

Just to be safe, make two of everything, so if it works, my set is ready to go!
I know the drill, absolutely Gabe! Enjoy and good luck in ATL.
      04-04-2022, 08:32 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

love it.

i also can't help but wonder how much the smashed cooling fins affect the efficiency of the heat exchangers. air that can't pass through simply goes around, and you miss out on some cooling. seems like you're doing pretty much everything, but a $400 radiator might gain 10% more efficiency.
      04-04-2022, 10:53 PM   #5
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
love it.

i also can't help but wonder how much the smashed cooling fins affect the efficiency of the heat exchangers. air that can't pass through simply goes around, and you miss out on some cooling. seems like you're doing pretty much everything, but a $400 radiator might gain 10% more efficiency.
It's a good question! I have few if any damaged fins however, these coolers are all in excellent shape. Lots bug guts though. Could use a pressure wash….
      04-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

sub…
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:58 AM   #7
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Update: I'm working with two HVAC companies to quote fabricating the oil cooler ducting I modeled. Seemed like the best option for a speedy turnaround.

I hoped to remove the crash beam so I can cut out all the radiator support that's blocking ~60% of the coolers. I thought it was just remove headlights and 4 nuts on each side, but appears to be a rivet that I assume is to indicate if the car has body work completed. Argh I could access the top two but need a 12" long bit or to refine a bunch more crap. Anyone have experience removing this?

Plan is to then design a single side duct that slopes down from the beam at the kidneys.

Ordered some high temp silicone gasket seals and silicone blocks to use on the end of the ducting to press against the coolers. Also a thick piece will be used to seal the gap at the top between the AC condenser and the support. It'll block off ~ 2.5" off the top of the radiator but I'm certain nothing I'd passing through anyhow given the hood vents.
Attached Images

04-07-2022, 01:11 AM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You could always just hole saw it. I wouldn't remove it, I think it adds some rigidity between the two frames.
      04-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #9
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
You could always just hole saw it. I wouldn't remove it, I think it adds some rigidity between the two frames.
Maybe some rigidity for the coolers but otherwise, It's pretty basic and I can flex the whole thing by hand. Definitely nothing to the actual frame. The crash beam support certainly accomplished that.

I'll retain a horizontal band in the lower portion. Not worried about it, if it were catastrophic I can already replace the whole support.
      04-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #10
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

can probably cut your bumper and bumper bar to vent extra air, and use this

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #11
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
can probably cut your bumper and bumper bar to vent extra air, and use this

[IMG]https://image.nengun.com/catalogue/3...riple_duct.png[/IMG]
Love it. But I don't want to cut into the bumper support bar. I'd like that to remain 100% intact.
      04-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #12
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Love it. But I don't want to cut into the bumper support bar. I'd like that to remain 100% intact.
fine ill do it my self...

i dont think you need to cut too large of a hole in the actual bumper support. just big enough to let air thru.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #13
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe some rigidity for the coolers but otherwise, It's pretty basic and I can flex the whole thing by hand. Definitely nothing to the actual frame. The crash beam support certainly accomplished that.

I'll retain a horizontal band in the lower portion. Not worried about it, if it were catastrophic I can already replace the whole support.
I was confused. I thought you were taking about the crash bar, not the radiator support.
      04-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #14
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was confused. I thought you were taking about the crash bar, not the radiator support.
Yeah I'm retaining that. Pretty scared of having the engine in my lap…
      04-07-2022, 11:11 PM   #15
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

One cool dad, comin' in!
Appreciate 1
DRLane3968.00
      04-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #16
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
A couple more chopping plastic progress pics. Huge cooling access! The ingress ducting will be super important.

Removed the crash beam after drilling out the rivets. As already mentioned I had no plans of modifying the beam with holes.

Also captured the gap that I'll be filling in with a silicone block strip between the radiators and the support frame. I'm confident this alone will significantly improve water temps.
Attached Images

04-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #17
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

have you considered a water spray system like the intercool sprays. just have a switch set up in the car and have it cool it down with water on like long straights. and since its water thats atomized it will dry up fast.

your DIY is kinda neat though i love it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #18
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
have you considered a water spray system like the intercool sprays. just have a switch set up in the car and have it cool it down with water on like long straights. and since its water thats atomized it will dry up fast.

your DIY is kinda neat though i love it.
I guess I could spray the oil cooler, but it's not going to make an appreciable improvement. The big cooler visible above the oil it is the supercharger heat exchanger and then the AC condenser (I believe). So that's all that would be hit with a misting system. Probably not doing much to IAT.

The problem is the air isn't forced to go through the coolers. Too many options around and no amount or liquid cooling is going to improve that.

Finally, I ditched the windshield washer reservoir and hoses ages ago and that's often the preferred system for a misting option as the hoses are installed.
      04-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #19
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I could spray the oil cooler, but it's not going to make an appreciable improvement. The big cooler visible above the oil it is the supercharger heat exchanger and then the AC condenser (I believe). So that's all that would be hit with a misting system. Probably not doing much to IAT.

The problem is the air isn't forced to go through the coolers. Too many options around and no amount or liquid cooling is going to improve that.

Finally, I ditched the windshield washer reservoir and hoses ages ago and that's often the preferred system for a misting option as the hoses are installed.
ah make sense..

i guess if you really wanted to pinpoint keeping oil temps down, you could factor in a water to oil heat exchanger.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 05:02 PM   #20
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
A couple mock-ups for the oil cooler. Happy to share these once complete.

I'm going to do the top ones from hand. I'll get some pictures later.
Attached Images

tsk941514.50
      04-13-2022, 07:59 PM   #21
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Here is where the oil cooler design landed. I'm happy to share the DXF or STEP files with those interested.

Going to send these to SendcutSend. Thx @Mike!

I'll update upon receipt and install.
Attached Images

rhyary1557.00
      04-13-2022, 08:19 PM   #22
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Update: I'm working with two HVAC companies to quote fabricating the oil cooler ducting I modeled. Seemed like the best option for a speedy turnaround.

I hoped to remove the crash beam so I can cut out all the radiator support that's blocking ~60% of the coolers. I thought it was just remove headlights and 4 nuts on each side, but appears to be a rivet that I assume is to indicate if the car has body work completed. Argh I could access the top two but need a 12" long bit or to refine a bunch more crap. Anyone have experience removing this?

Plan is to then design a single side duct that slopes down from the beam at the kidneys.

Ordered some high temp silicone gasket seals and silicone blocks to use on the end of the ducting to press against the coolers. Also a thick piece will be used to seal the gap at the top between the AC condenser and the support. It'll block off ~ 2.5" off the top of the radiator but I'm certain nothing I'd passing through anyhow given the hood vents.
I removed all that in mine for the intercooler. Didn't have to remove the crash beam.

Edit- nm I see what you're doing