BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
ppy1111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Remove engine and trans to replace rod bearings?

Hey guys!

I need your input on my plans for the future.

I want to replace the rod bearings in my 2008 e92 m3.

I don't have a lift but I have quite a few jack stands, cherry picker and an engine hoist

Do you guys think it will be easier to remove the engine from the engine bay to replace the rod bearings? My jack stands might not have enough height to do the rod bearings from under the car.

Has anyone here have gone through the same route? remove the engine to replace rod bearings?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Purchasing taller jack stands is a lot easier than removing the whole engine to do a job that can be done on jack stands.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I can't imagine how it would be an advantage to do this. Rod bearings through the bottom with a lift takes 8-10h. Unless you've removed a whole lot of engines in your life it will take you longer just to remove and replace the engine.

The S65 has excellent access from the bottom, much easier than the S54.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I can't imagine how it would be an advantage to do this. Rod bearings through the bottom with a lift takes 8-10h. Unless you've removed a whole lot of engines in your life it will take you longer just to remove and replace the engine.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
KCE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW ZCP e92 G-Power SKII CS

Removing the engine is a ton more work than doing the RB job from under the car. You can buy Quickjack now for around 1k and that will get you plenty of clearance.
      08-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Is it a six speed? If your gonna pull the motor/trans do the clutch and flywheel too. I wouldn't want to change the RB's motor in on jackstands or qj's. No side access and it'll be a drippy mess which you'll be laying in. More likely to make mistakes. It might take you 2-3x the hours to pull the motor but it would be less painful then laying on your back doing it.
      08-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
KCE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW ZCP e92 G-Power SKII CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Is it a six speed? If your gonna pull the motor/trans do the clutch and flywheel too. I wouldn't want to change the RB's motor in on jackstands or qj's. No side access and it'll be a drippy mess which you'll be laying in. More likely to make mistakes. It might take you 2-3x the hours to pull the motor but it would be less painful then laying on your back doing it.
Its a drippy mess regardless of jack stands, QJ or shop lift, remove oil pan and pick up tubes letting it drip out overnight and start the next day swapping shells. Use a creeper to roll around and not lay in oil. I think removing the whole front clip to remove engine out on jack stands is more likely to make a mistake somewhere. Just my .02
      08-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I did mine on jack stands. I removed the subframe completely. It drips a little but as others said, it drips regardless.

Quickjacks will work but side access is limited. I used 5T jack stands and there is lots of room.

Pulling the engine would be waaaaay more work.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Doesn't make sense to remove the engine. Adds way too much work.

If you want steak, would you just buy the steak from a store and cook it or would you raise a calf yourself to get your own meat? There's always the third of option of going to a restaurant, ie. pay a shop to do it. I see that you're in texas, if I were you I would take it to Dean at Mporium and call it a day.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

on point, the s65 bearings are much easier compared to s54. you would be wasting a lot of time trying to remove the engine.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      08-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCE92 View Post
Quote:
Its a drippy mess regardless of jack stands, QJ or shop lift, remove oil pan and pick up tubes letting it drip out overnight and start the next day swapping shells. Use a creeper to roll around and not lay in oil. I think removing the whole front clip to remove engine out on jack stands is more likely to make a mistake somewhere. Just my .02
Difference is a mistake removing the front clip won't potentially cost you an engine. Changing the rod bearings from the bottom is a hoist job, kudos to anyone who has done it successfully on jack stands but you won't find any professional anywhere doing it that way. Plus I'd bet my bottom dollar that no one who has done it on jackstands has done It in a timely manner. Pulling the motor is definitely the long road home but if other things need addressing could be a fun experience.
      08-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You probably won’t find any professional mechanics who don’t have a lift. Anyone with a lift and jack stands would choose the lift for this job. But those who have some skill, patience and care and would like to save $1000 to $1500 can take a little longer and suffer some inconvenience and do this job with the car on jack stands. With the money they save, they could buy a quick jack or max jax or inexpensive two post lift.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 08-30-2019 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2617.50
      08-30-2019, 12:09 AM   #13
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Difference is a mistake removing the front clip won't potentially cost you an engine. Changing the rod bearings from the bottom is a hoist job, kudos to anyone who has done it successfully on jack stands but you won't find any professional anywhere doing it that way. Plus I'd bet my bottom dollar that no one who has done it on jackstands has done It in a timely manner. Pulling the motor is definitely the long road home but if other things need addressing could be a fun experience.
There is nothing that a hoist offers other than convenience for this task. It is easy to do on stands, you just have to plan a bit to have the tools at arms reach to save ups-and-downs. The access to the bottom of the engine is just fine.

It took me about 12 working hours start to finish. Longer than a shop would take, but it was my first time doing the job and I took my time.

Yes, I would prefer to do it on a hoist. But I also was happy to save the labour and do it myself.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 05:29 AM   #14
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

If you do pull the motor, the job could quickly creep in size. Some would suggest that while you have access, the mains should be replaced too! Not to mention other internals. With the transmission out, what parts could be replaced easily (manual clutch, DCT pans, filters, clutches)? Sometimes limited access limits what you can do.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
ppy1111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
If you do pull the motor, the job could quickly creep in size. Some would suggest that while you have access, the mains should be replaced too! Not to mention other internals. With the transmission out, what parts could be replaced easily (manual clutch, DCT pans, filters, clutches)? Sometimes limited access limits what you can do.

The reason I wanna pull the engine out is so i can completely clean the engine bay lol... every single corner because I'm a little OCD..

The previous owner of my car did not clean the engine bay at all...

So from what everyone's input... It's easier just to jack up the car high enough to replace the rod bearings right??
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #16
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Yup, jack and jack stand will get the job done. Exactly what I did a while back. Good luck.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074496
Appreciate 0