BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-26-2024, 10:38 AM   #1
Chris_DUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Which maintenance for my mileage would you recommend?

Hi guys,

as per the title. Got a low mileage 2012 with 54000km (34k miles) this week. Rod bearings are already done.

I understand that the spark plugs should be replaced at 36k miles. I have an engine oil service and break fluid service coming up in April and will replace them by then.

As per all the research, items of concern: RB (done), throttle actuators, Injectors, Vanos covers and coil packs.

Does my plan of replacing make sense:
- next service in April: spark plugs (maybe I do myself before, but needs tools and it seems to be a PITA)
- Throttle actuators and coil packs when they have issues, understand they do not destroy the engine right away
- next year (probably drive 4k miles this year): Injectors

Big question is vanos covers for me now, should I get them done right away or can I wait? They seem to be an issue around 100k miles but the car is not getting any younger...

TIA
Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:33 PM   #2
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Don't change your coils unless you have to--such as misfire issues. There's no point changing them unless they fail. Changing the spark plugs isn't a big issue. Only cyl 8 and 4 are tough. The rest are easy. Only use the OEM NGK platinum plugs.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      03-08-2024, 12:33 PM   #3
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

I agree, coils and TAs can wait until there's an issue. TA failure can leave you in limp mode, but won't damage anything. Vanos covers are probably fine, but if your valve cover gaskets are leaking (they will soon if they aren't already) may as well do it all at once. I'd put injectors closer to 100k mile intervals.

Most important: Enjoy the car! is this your first M3? Make sure to take care to warm the engine up properly, and once it is, it's better to wring it out regularly. They don't like low RPM. I imagine there are some fun roads in the BC mountains?

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:46 PM   #4
Chris_DUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Thanks for the input! The only thing that is not changed yet are the TA's. I went ahead and did plugs, coils and injectors myself (what a PITA to get the plenum back on). Had a specialized shop do the vanos caps, valve cover gasket, oil and break fluid and got some new AS4's as the Firestone Indy500 on the car were horrific. Also put in Mr12Volt Car Play, Rearview camera, afe intake elbow and OEM floor mats. This is my 2nd M3, I traded my '23 G80 Comp and I love it. It is the better car for me, it just makes me smile constantly. I did all these things for peace of mind, I just want to enjoy the car now and not worry and keep it, just starting with a proper baseline. The injectors, coils and plug werent horribly expensive, just didnt want to risk it.

The shop that did the vanos caps also did an inspection and confirmed the car is in good order for the age and mileage, that also was good to hear.

Next though: debating to get 359M's... and have to do something about the lights, in and out. But thats not urgent, maybe come winter. Now is driving time! The CarPlay and Stereo is much better than the G80, the engine is a dream, DCT took some getting used to, as well as the low end torque, or lack thereof... maybe a gearbox flash next.

So far: right decision for me to go back 2 generations. I love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Thumbie95.50
Tuner199.00
      03-12-2024, 04:38 PM   #5
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Love it!!! Yeah they truly are special cars. With a few choice mods they are even better, and it's just so fun to drive (the harder you drive, the funner it is) (is funner a word?).

359s look great, IMO better than most aftermarket wheels. Apex makes a few I like and are good price. There is also a company making 359 reps but forged aluminum and wider/less offset. Something to consider.

The DCT is one of the best transmissions I've driven, and a flash makes it really snappy. The G80 goes back to some type of auto/hybrid transmission. I rented a G80 Comp for a day and while it was insanely fast, I felt it was....dull. You made the right choice.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:42 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you always use good gas and not crap the injectors should last pretty long. I only use 91 from Chevron as well as run a tank of fuel injector cleaner every 2k or twice an oil change interval. I am pushing 26X,XXX on original injectors for what it’s worth. I broke one of my ignition coils at the bottom where it grabs the plug doing a plug change and have only replaced that one. I’ve done bank 2 TA and still on OG bank 1 TA. I would focus on fluids and maybe valve gaskets. The only fluids I’d change that you didn’t mention is coolant and diff. Good luck!